• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Scarlett Johansson Signs on to Hollywood's Ghost in the Shell

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Fine woman doing a fine character.

Anyway, I will be watching it as long as it looks better than DB Evolution.
DragonSpikeXIII

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Director of Snow white and the huntsman?

Bar: low; Expectations: lower.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
this....isn't going to end well. The only way I can see this working is if it's set in the same world as GitS, but outside of Japan because NOBODY is going to buy Johansson as being the least bit Japanese.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
With Johansson being so hot this year with Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the ridiculously stupid Lucy and Kubrickian Under the Skin, she's still on a huge hot streak that it would be utterly moronic to not have her in something.

I expect name changes if it's set elsewhere but if it is set in Japan, they better not name her Kusanagi.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
We've had so many of these projects announced only for them to be never heard from again, I have trouble believing this is going to actually get made.

Still, I'll be curious to see how it turns out if it does go ahead. Scarlet Johansson is a great actress (watch Under The Skin if you don't think she has serious acting chops) and I could see a serviceable live-action version coming together, if the people involved actually care enough to do a decent job.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

I expect name changes if it's set elsewhere but if it is set in Japan, they better not name her Kusanagi.
This is the one show it would be believable though since she can change her body at any time. LOL.

"Rupert Sanders"

Get rid of this name and I might have some hope
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't see this adaptation working out so well unless the setting is somewhere outside of Japan. I think it would be very hard for an American actor/actress to portray him/herself as a foreign-oriented character, if not impossible.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
this....isn't going to end well. The only way I can see this working is if it's set in the same world as GitS, but outside of Japan because NOBODY is going to buy Johansson as being the least bit Japanese.

She won't be portrayed as Japanese. Like all good foreign remakes America will toss in some white actors, set everything in New York or LA, and destroy all cultural references to Japan.

Sad Edge of Tomorrow (all you need is kill) wasn't a bad flick, but it through out a lot of the book and only kept the core plot idea. So we will probably get about the same from GITS.

And there better be some smack talking Tachicomas, that's all I'm saying!
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:

This is the one show it would be believable though since she can change her body at any time. LOL.

"Rupert Sanders"

Get rid of this name and I might have some hope

I dunno, Sanders at least dropped a Mononoke-hime reference in his one feature film. That puts him ahead of Spielberg who thinks GitS is apparently a genre unto itself.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Scarlett Kusanagi? Eh, doesn't quite work for me. She's easy on the eyes but I've never been impressed with her acting. I just don't see her as the Major. The real question though is what they will do with the film. Will they just gut the whole story and try to make it another empty action flick? Here's hoping that someone will try to do something smart with the script.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood should just be honest, and greenlight a tv show called, 'The Whitest Asians You Know'. Maybe have Lucy Liu be the host. Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for this to get released in some January or August, because it'll be that kind of gutted and soulless film. Cheap directors and one big name usually spell disaster. This type of shit is why I don't want anime to become mainstream, because it means godawful cash-ins will be attempted. All You Need is Cruise isn't a cash-in because it's essentially an unknown title in the west, even to those who follow anime and manga, compared to all of the anime and manga Hollywood's been threatening to adapt for years.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I like Scarlett Johansson, I think that she's a good actress, but I'm still not excited about this movie. I was kind of hoping that it would be stuck in development hell forever, like Akira and Cowboy Bebop seem to be.

But who knows, maybe if they got a good director it could turn out alright.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Let's just hope the director doesn't make Scarlett cheat on her husband.
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Well this IS Good News.

Lycosyncer wrote:
With Johansson being so hot this year with Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the ridiculously stupid Lucy and Kubrickian Under the Skin, she's still on a huge hot streak that it would be utterly moronic to not have her in something.

...an idea I think would be fun is if they lampshade this in the film by stating that "Kusanagi" actually was a Japanese child, but after requiring full body prosthetics (she's basically a fist-sized clump of brain cells in a realistic-looking robot body)....she picked a model that looks like "Scarlett Johansson".

That is...in-universe, the only plausible justification fans ever came up with for "why does Kusanagi dress so provocatively" is "she doesn't have a real body, so she's trying to overcompensate by feeling 'beautiful'.."

I mean, if you get a fully prosthetic body, why get an average looking body, when you can get a movie-star look-alike body?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7