• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magi: Sinbad no Bōken Spin-Off Manga Gets 4th OVA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Another OVA? Razz

Well keep them coming. I didn't think there would of been enough episodes to fund a TV series originally but I guess these will do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Tbh I'd prefer if they stopped making the OVAs and waited to have enough manga material to make a full anime adaptation. I'd argue that, with the Sasan arc over, there's enough material for at least a full 13 episode series, maybe even two cours if they fleshed out some fight scenes a bit longer. I've watched all three OVAs so far, but they seem honestly heartless, as if the animation is just going through the motions of adapting the manga without really understanding the story or the characters. They already skipped the story of Sinbad's father which was so important to know why Sinbad is like that, and they also skipped some stuff from Hinahoho's part too.

Since they're calling this one "Valefor Middle" I figure there'll be three episodes for the Valefor arc, which seriously doesn't seem enough considering everything that happens in that dungeon. I also wonder if they continue with the following arc, if they're going to skip straight to Sasan without showing Drakon's part or Sinbad's struggles in Reim since they don't properly belong to a specific arc and are just some in-between stuff
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
The OVAs are nice and all, but I think a full adaptation should be made
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Is the reason were just getting OVAs in the first place is to allow the manga to catch up with main characters of Magi? Sinbad is prequel series, but being in a OVA form, coming out only once an while does buy enough time.

The matter of funding is also confusing. They'd need some kind of sponsor ship, who putting up the money and what are they getting out of fronting it?

I grew up when anime was funded by toy companies and model companies, (see Sunrise/Bandai's Gundam franchise), they were nice long series as long person writing story was good.

These ones based on Mangas don't seem to have anything promote maybe the light novels themselves.

Is the Magi's franchise focus push the Manga or Light Novels? or try setup for video game?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1