• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big Hero 6 Is Japan's Top-Selling Animated Blu-ray of 2015 After 3 Days

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
It caught on in Japan thru word of mouth.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
It's the top selling animated combo pack. It ain't just a BD release.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Congrats on a movie I have yet to see.
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
I WANT THAT MOVIE COVER

I WANT THAT MOVIE COVER SO BAD

The American version of the Bluray is just Baymax waving from the side like a damn dork, unless you got a limited edition cover which were basically either a holograph of Baymax holding a lollipop which changes to him in the armor, or the Target cover of Hiro and Baymax flying over San Fransokyo in their superhero outfits with their normal forms reflected in the water but I found out about the Target cover too late so I just have the stupid lollipop cover BUT THE JAPANESE COVER IS SO SO SO SO SO SO DAMN CUTE I WANT IT THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A US OPTION TOO NO FAIR THE DAMN MOVIE WAS EVEN CALLED BAYMAX IN JAPAN WHAT THE FUDGE, DISNEY?????
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Cue the people who are bitter about BH6 beating "The Tale of Princess Kaguya," "The Lego Movie," and "How to Train Your Dragon 2" at the Oscars.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
And the Marvel fans who are disgruntled about Disney cutting everything remotely Japanese out of the source material, and turning the heroes into the Scooby Gang, Shaggy and Velma included. Mad

(And the Disney fans grumbling, "Uh, thanks loads Disney, we were sort of hoping you'd have something strong enough for your next movie to make everybody else finally forget about the Evil Chick-Flick...")
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
machete: It's called Baymax in Japan, because American comic books are still as much a novelty there as manga and anime are here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Lego wasn't even nominated, and having just watched Kaguya and BH6 within a few days of each other, I think Kaguya was the stronger film though not quite a masterpiece or Takahata's best.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Kaguya was a freaking phenomenal film. I'd put it over Big Hero 6 for artistry alone.

I like Big Hero 6, buts got a few problems. Like how It's not better then The Incredibles.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
I WANT THAT MOVIE COVER

I WANT THAT MOVIE COVER SO BAD

The American version of the Bluray is just Baymax waving from the side like a damn dork, unless you got a limited edition cover which were basically either a holograph of Baymax holding a lollipop which changes to him in the armor, or the Target cover of Hiro and Baymax flying over San Fransokyo in their superhero outfits with their normal forms reflected in the water but I found out about the Target cover too late so I just have the stupid lollipop cover BUT THE JAPANESE COVER IS SO SO SO SO SO SO DAMN CUTE I WANT IT THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A US OPTION TOO NO FAIR THE DAMN MOVIE WAS EVEN CALLED BAYMAX IN JAPAN WHAT THE FUDGE, DISNEY?????

^ This. All of this.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I like Big Hero 6, buts got a few problems. Like how It's not better then The Incredibles.

And how it ignored the original comic, and just about everything else, ftm.

And an end fight we didn't even know why they were fighting.

And a hero who mopes for about a half hour longer in the story than he should.

And slavish devotion to the James Cromwell Rule of sci-fi films:
spoiler[If James Cromwell plays the legendary patriarchal inventor of the technology, you know within seconds who will turn out to be behind all the conspiracies.]

But look to the Japanese for a positive role model--
They were even loopier for Frozen, but this proves that at least THEY managed to get over it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
walw: The only way you can get Takahata's best nominated would be to travel back in time to '88, when Grave of the Fireflies came out, and convince the Academy to include a Best Animated category then.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Go Go and the Aunt.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess Frozen while being the movie for little girls, Big Hero 6 is the movie for little boys, and girls. After all who could not love Baymax. I actually enjoyed the movie despite it being consider a piece of garbage by various comments on retail and review sites. This probably the first (CG) film by Disney that I can say I enjoyed in decades. Sorry but Disney doesn't impress me anymore. I've found more enjoyment from international animators who actually can make a film that isn't so "dumbed" down. For once I'd like to see Disney make something actually engaging. I will be buying this film for my shelves.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Kaguya was definitely Takahata's best film, and a masterpiece. But it doesn't need an Oscar to prove that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2