• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney Schedules Live-Action Ghost in the Shell for April 14, 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
"Banner" is what "bannder" should be read as.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, a couple of years should be enough time to sort out how this live-action version of Ghost in the Shell is going to pan out. Here's hoping it fares at least decently when it's all done.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
They figure they'll have exhausted all comic book movies and nostalgia properties by then. If they're doing Jem now, maybe they'll do Beverly Hills Teens in 2018?
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
i had no idea disney would be attached to this project in any way, shape or form. to be honest, i don't even want them to distribute the film, let alone be in the same conversation as anyone on the production team. this film is already up against all odds as it is, we don't need the wholesome disney stench influencing how it turns out. the few exceptions withstanding, modern hollywood is incapable of creating a thoughtful and intelligent science fiction film; the very fact this piece is being adapted from an anime makes it all the more of an underdog at succeeding. will they up the action while keeping the spirit of the anime or will they completely go their own way, to the extent where it doesn't even remotely look like the source material? two years until we find out. scarlett may end up being a good choice for the protagonist, i will give them that much.

Last edited by Xristophoros on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
So Disney is getting involved in this, I'm not even sure how to react to this. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
we don't need the wholesome disney stench influencing how it turns out.

Disney is moving away from that wholesome image and trying to branch out. I wouldn't be too stressed about having their name attached to it YET.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Since they're aiming for April, you know they're aiming for SPLOJUNS N GUNZ PEW PEW N ROBATZ, otherwise they'd aim for November or December where they can tout it as a more serious film. I'm really not expecting anything better than Snow White and the Huntsmen crossed with the new RoboCop, and that's just pitiful.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Didn't think this would ever happen but I pray to God almighty that this doesn't end up like the ever eternal commercial failure that was Dragonball evolution
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Since they're aiming for April, you know they're aiming for SPLOJUNS N GUNZ PEW PEW N ROBATZ, otherwise they'd aim for November or December where they can tout it as a more serious film. I'm really not expecting anything better than Snow White and the Huntsmen crossed with the new RoboCop, and that's just pitiful.

and that right there sounds like a laughably bad combination... ouch. let us hope it fares better than either of those films. to be fair, though, robocop could have been a LOT worse. it was competent enough to be entertaining most of the way though. solid 6.5/10 entertainment Very Happy

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Xristophoros wrote:

Disney is moving away from that wholesome image and trying to branch out. I wouldn't be too stressed about having their name attached to it YET.

thank you for the optimism. we will need many more like you to keep the realists in check until the film releases. i have no faith disney is really ready to grow up, but you may be right. to be fair, they are only distributing the film and nothing more, but i just don't like their association, as small as it may be. they have long arms and their influence goes far.

{Merged your posts --nbahn}
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been liking Disney's theatrical output recently. The company's had its ups and downs, but considering its long history with Ghibli, I do trust there are people within Disney who know anime and how to sell anime.

What surprises me more is that Disney and Dreamworks has been cooperating since 2009. You know, because Jeffrey Katzenberg founded Dreamworks specifically to try to take Disney down as a company as revenge for not promoting him.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Xristophoros wrote:
thank you for the optimism. we will need many more like you to keep the realists in check until the film releases. i have no faith disney is really ready to grow up, but you may be right. to be fair, they are only distributing the film and nothing more, but i just don't like their association, as small as it may be. they have long arms and their influence goes far.
like you guys said it's good to keep a open mind and but it's also prudent that you take everything with a grain of salt like you said Disney does have a large influence and who's to say besides the author how everything might turn out for the movie so I pray for it being successful.[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. --nbahn]
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Disney, huh...oh dear. Well, this will be interesting. I am a little worried, because marketing tactics are easier to change than an established core audience. They can't move away from a modus without an operandi, or infrastructure to support a insulated media shift. We have a few years to wait though; maybe that will be enough time for things to change. Disney presently is a money-mongering, self-aware, ruthless global entity with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. This will be interesting, to say the least.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It could've been worse by having Paul W.S Anderson as director,and having his wife star in it Laughing .
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:

It could've been worse by having Paul W.S Anderson as director,and having his wife star in it Laughing .

If they did that, then it would be much worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Well, a couple of years should be enough time to sort out how this live-action version of Ghost in the Shell is going to pan out. Here's hoping it fares at least decently when it's all done.

Based on how badly U.S live action remakes of anime do, I predict it'll be pretty damn bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6