Forum - View topic
NEWS: AKB48 Spawns NGT48 Sister Idol Group in Niigata




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 6773
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Five idol groups in a decade...I wonder what alphabet group will AKB48 will think of next?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hoppy800



Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 2841
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
More girls suffering, the music from these AKB groups is below average as well. Then again, I wouldn't be performing my best either if I had tyrants for managers who may throw me in a cage to be kicked around for ratings and I had to sign my happiness away just to join. It's a curse or maybe a miracle in a dark, cynical sense that they stay and take it for fame. I pray the poor dears who join see the light and get out of there fast to go into voice acting, regular acting, or just go to college and get a degree in something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13971
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
In the future, every 12-yr-old Japanese will belong to an idol group!
There will be more kids in idol groups than attending high school!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lostrune



Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 312
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
More girls suffering, the music from these AKB groups is below average as well. Then again, I wouldn't be performing my best either if I had tyrants for managers who may throw me in a cage to be kicked around for ratings and I had to sign my happiness away just to join. It's a curse or maybe a miracle in a dark, cynical sense that they stay and take it for fame. I pray the poor dears who join see the light and get out of there fast to go into voice acting, regular acting, or just go to college and get a degree in something.


Did one of them kick your dog or something? Laughing

enurtsol wrote:
In the future, every 12-yr-old Japanese will belong to an idol group!
There will be more kids in idol groups than attending high school!


One step closer to anime being real!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hoppy800



Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 2841
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
More girls suffering, the music from these AKB groups is below average as well. Then again, I wouldn't be performing my best either if I had tyrants for managers who may throw me in a cage to be kicked around for ratings and I had to sign my happiness away just to join. It's a curse or maybe a miracle in a dark, cynical sense that they stay and take it for fame. I pray the poor dears who join see the light and get out of there fast to go into voice acting, regular acting, or just go to college and get a degree in something.


Did one of them kick your dog or something? Laughing


It's a mix of criticism (for the groups singing and the unethical practices from the managers) and pity for the idols who signed their life away not knowing what they will really expect. It's a near endless cycle of exploitation and corporate tyranny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gloverrandal



Joined: 20 May 2014
Posts: 405
Location: Oita
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's a mix of criticism (for the groups singing and the unethical practices from the managers) and pity for the idols who signed their life away not knowing what they will really expect. It's a near endless cycle of exploitation and corporate tyranny.


Do you have a source for all these claims?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13971
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

In the future, every 12-yr-old Japanese will belong to an idol group!
There will be more kids in idol groups than attending high school!

One step closer to anime being real!


We've always been of the opinion that, if 3D girls just become more like anime girls, the world would be a safer place. Smile


Hoppy800 wrote:

It's a mix of criticism (for the groups singing and the unethical practices from the managers) and pity for the idols who signed their life away not knowing what they will really expect. It's a near endless cycle of exploitation and corporate tyranny.


There was just a TV piece about America in the 60s: back then, airplane stewardesses were required to be certain body requirements, unmarried, and have to leave the job after 32 years old. Eventually, the stewardesses fought back in court and won.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5374
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Five idol groups in a decade...I wonder what alphabet group will AKB48 will think of next?


They're not randomly picked letters, though, they're obviously shorthands for the place they're from (AKB= Akiba/Akihabara, NGT=Niigata, NMB= Namba, etc)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 7163
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:43 am Reply with quote
I read "Niigata" as "Nigeria" for some reason. That'd be one of the worst places to have idol pop groups.

enurtsol wrote:
There was just a TV piece about America in the 60s: back then, airplane stewardesses were required to be certain body requirements, unmarried, and have to leave the job after 32 years old. Eventually, the stewardesses fought back in court and won.


Some airlines from other countries still enforce this sort of thing. I remember flying on Korean Air somewhat recently; the plane's flight attendants were all slim young women.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MasterGhost



Joined: 29 Nov 2011
Posts: 120
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's a mix of criticism (for the groups singing and the unethical practices from the managers) and pity for the idols who signed their life away not knowing what they will really expect. It's a near endless cycle of exploitation and corporate tyranny.


Do you have a source for all these claims?


It's not a source per say, dozens of documentaries, magazine reports, and professional papers have already been written criticizing this idol culture unique to Japan. I'm doing a report for my school about such a phenomenon now, so I know that.

For starters, you may want to just look at one particular incident which happened exactly two years ago: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/02/01/music/akb48-members-penance-shows-flaws-in-idol-culture/#.VMZKSv6UeSo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 6157
Location: USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Another group? Just keep pumping them out don't you Japan. They must have a giant hive mind queen that births them. The care takers basically mold them to be the beloved pop idol they want them to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 351
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's a mix of criticism (for the groups singing and the unethical practices from the managers) and pity for the idols who signed their life away not knowing what they will really expect. It's a near endless cycle of exploitation and corporate tyranny.


Yeah, these idols think they're happy, but they're really not. Thankfully they have us to show them the error of their ways and correct them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group