• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen's Directors Interview Ghibli's Isao Takahata at Oscars Headquarters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I am more interested in there being more Freezing anime rather than to still read/here about Frozen. Let it go, Frozen!
Bingal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Really hope he wins this.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
Despite being the best animated film by user reviews and critic reviews, Kaguya lost because voters admitted to having voted for other movies like Big Hero 6 because they didn't even watch the competition. They really should be required to have watched all the nominees.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
Kou: You really should be glad Kaguya got nominated at all, because the voters do not warm up very kindly to movies like it. And Takahata is probably doing better than most would expect, overall, considering he's frequently in Miyazaki's shadow.

Last edited by GATSU on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
"And the winner is!"
Grecian Formula For Men!
Laughing
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Despite being the best animated film by user reviews and critic reviews, Kaguya lost because voters admitted to having voted for other movies like Big Hero 6 because they didn't even watch the competition. They really should be required to have watched all the nominees.

I've heard similar things. I don't know if this is fully true, but I heard the final Madoka Magica movie actually was eligible*, but apparently most judges don't even bother voting in the Animated category as they see it as "just kids' stuff" (and as such, The Croods was nominated. I mean, that movie was okay, but seriously?). Not only is that an absurd view (since when has a story required PG-13 or R-rated material to be a worthwhile tale?) but it makes it hard for me to take the opinions of these judges seriously if they have such close-minded opinions about a part of their own program.

*and I'm not being biased because it's anime (for example, I actually did prefer Frozen over The Wind Rises, which I know must baffle some people, but whatever). I haven't even seen the film, and actually still need to watch the second half of the TV series so I'm not being biased in this.

It's just like the Emmys giving awards for episodes instead of the whole season, it just didn't sit right for me (especially since most agree The Wire got snubbed a lot due to the nature of its storytelling through its seasons). I'm happy for the people who win these awards for their hard work as they do deserve most of the time (even if I don't consider a winner the best that year, I most often agree they do deserve recognition nonetheless), but I don't feel they're as "accurate" as they could be. For my own interest, they can help me discover movies/shows I hadn't seen before, and that's it.

I loved The Simpsons' jab at awards show:

(after seeing the intro to Mr. Burns' award show which has an incredibly obvious agenda behind it)
Lisa: This award show is the biggest farce I've ever seen.
Bart: What about the Emmys?
Lisa: I stand corrected.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

That's why I lose faith in the oscars. Well that and some controversy over the lack of diversity (despite Birdman's director is Mexican) in the Academy Awards nomination lists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
doctor: Um, Madoka didn't get in, because it's the third movie in a series the voters likely haven't seen.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
Why bother caring about Oscars when it comes to animation? It's just a fancy pat-on-the-back anyway.
Tetranet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
Those babbling cretins are in no place to be talking to Takahata.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1