• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Will Viz Media and Seven Seas ever publish light novels?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
With Yen Press and Vertical doing light novel distribution is there a chance that Viz and Seven Seas Entertainment will follow-up in that response?
I know many people express interest about that on their Facebook pages and I was wondering if there is any development on the subject.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
With Yen Press and Vertical doing light novel distribution is there a chance that Viz and Seven Seas Entertainment will follow-up in that response?

Viz's Haikasoru imprint already has a few things that are arguably LNs. Housuke Nojiri's "Rocket Girls" series comes to mind; those are sold through a sci-fi publisher in Japan now, but the original editions were from a LN publisher.

vol 1 cover comparison:
Viz
Original Japanese
New Japanese

Last edited by vanfanel on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Seven Seas did release the Alice in the Country of Diamonds LN late last year, but as far as I understand they aren't a priority for them.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
^
Maybe this will encourage them to try publishing more light novels.

Seven Seas was doing light novels several years ago, but they stopped because the sales were not high enough to make them profitable.
The translation costs are significantly higher for light novels than for manga.

Yen was able to be more successful because they had some novels that were supported by popular anime and manga, such as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Spice and Wolf.
I think that Yen also has more financial backing than Seven Seas.

Since the "Alice in ..." manga seems to be popular maybe this will get Seven Seas back into novel publication.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chii85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Chii85 wrote:

Viz's Haikasoru imprint already has a few things that are arguably LNs. Housuke Nojiri's "Rocket Girls" series comes to mind; those are sold through a sci-fi publisher in Japan now, but the original editions were from a LN publisher.

vol 1 cover comparison:
Viz
Original Japanese
New Japanese

Yeah here's proof that Viz is interested in light novelshttp://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/12/viz-media-founder-predicts-light-novel-success-in-the-u-s/
Chii85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
^
Maybe this will encourage them to try publishing more light novels.

Seven Seas was doing light novels several years ago, but they stopped because the sales were not high enough to make them profitable.
The translation costs are significantly higher for light novels than for manga.

Yen was able to be more successful because they had some novels that were supported by popular anime and manga, such as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Spice and Wolf.
I think that Yen also has more financial backing than Seven Seas.

Since the "Alice in ..." manga seems to be popular maybe this will get Seven Seas back into novel publication.

Let's hope you right because I really want them to break into the format so that they could be like Yen Press and Vertical. I hope they launch a label and start with Zero's Familiar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1