• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Negima! DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
why did funi release this id they made a new one? i myself like this show a lot- as for the new one...well. It didn't grab me like this one. I have noticed some of the bad animation though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quote
As always, it's nice to see a critique of Negima! flaws that doesn't come from a "the manga is sooo much better" position.
britannicamoore wrote:
why did funi release this id they made a new one? i myself like this show a lot- as for the new one...well. It didn't grab me like this one. I have noticed some of the bad animation though.
Maybe because the new one hadn't begun airing (or maybe wasn't even announced) when Funimation announced the licensing last October, meaning that negotiations were ongoing even before then. I personally haven't bothered with the new one, as this series and the manga are enough Negima for me.

So, the arc in episodes 12-13 doesn't count as something of an ongoing plot? At least they're not standalone episodes. I guess in many ways, the appeal of Negima! is a lot like Love Hina, with an abundance of girls, cute/rediculous situations, a bit of fantasy and magic, and a few sad/touching moments to balance things out, which of course is no coincidence. (Hmm, maybe I said that on the previous thread?)

I thought this group of episodes was pretty fun, but the more I think about it, the more I agree that this anime and Negima! in general doesn't have much of an over-arching plot. At least with Love Hina there was always that childhood promise in the background, but even what I've read in the manga so far (which corresponds to the trip arc in episodes 20-22) isn't showing signs of a major plot either.

Whatever the dub's problems with acting and pronunciation (even I didn't catch the Melchizedek flub Wink ), it's indisputable that the actual writing is better. It really shows the comedic powers of the English langauge when not chained to a close translation of a language with a less-expansive vocabulary.

Anyway, I at least will be waiting for Vols. 4-6, and TRSI made it a bit easier to pick up 4 & 5. Lastly, LE Ayaka figurine ftw!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I personally haven't bothered with the new one, as this series and the manga are enough Negima for me.

The new one is very different from both the manga and the previous series. It's worth looking into if you want to see a different take on the Negima world.

Zalis116 wrote:
the more I agree that this anime and Negima! in general doesn't have much of an over-arching plot. At least with Love Hina there was always that childhood promise in the background, but even what I've read in the manga so far (which corresponds to the trip arc in episodes 20-22) isn't showing signs of a major plot either.

While there isn't really an ongoing plot, Negi slowly discovers more about his father as the series progresses (which has about as much significance, if not more, than the childhood promise in Love Hina). But other than that and characters involved in previous arcs being involved in later arcs, there really isn't an ongoing plot. Unless you count the desperate struggle of class 3-A to graduate to be an ongoing plot. Wink
Epinephrine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I really like Negima for some reason. Enough so that I recorded all 26 episodes on COLours TV, bought the manga, and am waiting to buy a boxset. Yeah, it dosent have much of a plot but something drew me to it and wont let go.

I haven't had the opportunity to see a subbed version so I dont know about the difference in script, but the english one makes sense to me. I also like the VA's a lot. Luci is always a riot as a firey character and Laura and Caitlan are always great in their roles ( I think so anyway Smile ).

I personally like the animation. It stand out from most other anime in terms of styling.

I haven't had a chance to see anything of Negima!? so I cant say as to how they compare.

I may be in the minority here on how good Negima! is, but I think its good enough for an very good rating overall.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1