• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Digimon Adventure tri. Chapter 1: Reunion (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote

Digimon Adventure tri. Chapter 1: Reunion (movie).

Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Kids
Themes: Digital World, Fantasy

Plot Summary: Fifteen years after the summer vacation.

If we didn't go to the Digital World. If I didn't make this trip with others. If we didn't change at all like this.

These Digimon were always with us. We've been friends all the time. We learned the importance of helping each other. All the things have made us what we are!

New stories for all the "DigiDestined" in the world. Taichi, seventeen, high school days.
----------------------------------

Anyone remember the original Digimon? One of my favorite seasons besides Tamers. The nostalgia really came back when I saw the news. The character designs might take some time to get used to though but the fantasy world fiction elements of Digimon is pretty fun imo.

A lot of hype for this. Also, based on the premise, this is directly connected as a sequel so looking forward to see some growth with the main characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I will most definitely be watching this. I love Digimon. I am a little confused by the summary that says "fifteen years after the summer vacation" though. I suppose maybe they don't mean 15 years in the story world but 15 years in our world?
antasad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
Just to open the discussion in this thread, while waiting for the show to air in next month.

Since there are no little amount of people that kind of disliking Uki Atsuya as the new Character Designer, I'm gonna throw in a question to start:

Quote:
Who would you like as the alternative Character Designer instead of Uki?

Speaking in a wish manner only, of course. I'm sure we all understand the choice of picking a new character designer is because (one of many) the target audience they're aiming now, which is to the older age than the original series was.

But I'm also sure, just because that reason, you all who didn't agree for Uki can think (or has thought) of another person that can also fulfill the need and at the same time is more to your taste for a Digimon character-designer.

As for myself, I didn't know anything nor that I had any opinion about Uki Atsuya when I first saw the first key visual. Then, when I get to watch his cencoroll, I get the hypes up. To the point that I even hope he's also directing several important/action-heavy episodes.

But I'm also just recently finished watching the entire 11 episodes of AnoHana PLUS the movie. And exactly when I watched the movie, I came to think, maybe Masayoshi Tanaka's style could also work. I like the way the movie is animated (it's not that fancy, of course, but just feels... "fit". improvement to the original series, nonetheless), that I came to imagine if Digimon Adventure tri. can be visualized like that too. And also because of the characters Jintan and Yukiatsu, which much or less the Taichi and Yamato of AnoHana, that I'm reminded of Digimon when watching :p .

But well, that's just my second thinking, I'm still getting my hypes up for Uki Atsuya. Really hopes the TV Show won't be a cheap budget production, and the animation is not too far of a quality from cencoroll.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing Uki Atsuya's actual monster designs. That's where he excels. The monsters in Cencoroll were certainly great. Hopefully that will offset what I'm seeing so far. His actual [human] character designs certainly leave a lot to be desired. The same-face is bad enough but generic, matching school uniforms? Ug. I know the original Digimon's costume designs were a little corny (Gloves! Goggles! Everywhere!) but at least they had personality. These just look boring. Boring is kinda the one thing I can't tolerate in a show about fighting computer monsters.
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Digimon's costumes were certainly outlandish, even for the Digimon. Very unique. I never understood why Digimon sometimes wore belts on wrists.

But in all fairness, I've seen more outlasndish costumes in anime.

And he acts like he looks.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Interesting so CR managed to get this so that means we won't be waiting for BDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
So much feels! My gosh, it's been a while since I've felt such nostalgia. I have zero problems with the character designs and overall animation. Everything looked warm and lush. And the girls all look way pretty Wink

Really enjoyed the subtlety of a lot of the characters actions and words; which way they look, their voice inflections, their facial expression, and even what they don't say (Auguman and Tai's moment during the sunset) all had so much impact. It's not all made blatantly obvious like I see on most series these days, which I guess might be because all the characters have already been established. Still, I'm very impressed by how the series has matured along with its cast. The opening song and sequence are also really catchy.

Looking forward to the rest of the installations. Just hope Tai doesn't wallow for too long.

Btw, am I right in assuming that the silhouettes in the very beginning were the team from 02?
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Still watching, but I felt a need to link to this image. Hikari and Jo grew up to be Power Rangers (pic is Luka Millfy/Gokai Yellow, aka Ichimichi Mao, and Ikari Gai/Gokai Silver, aka Junya Ikeda).
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
So now its episodic format? Shush make up your mind, random comment.

I can't recognize half the character, I don't mind changing character design, but at least keep them easily recognizable. Probably linked to next point...

The budget seems a bit lower than I would expect, lots of reuse shoot and not all that impressive visual.

Why is everyone using flip phone, is it suppose to be mid 2000?

Who the hell has a concert at 2-3pm?!

Who was that girl with black hair and glass next to the moving truck? Is she a recurring character?
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Can we have a discussion on the potential plot holes in Digimon Adventure, Digimon Adventure 02, and Digimon Adventure Tri. in the context of the shows and known side material?

I've already done a lot of research on a TON of stuff in the past few months (and years). When I talk about plot holes in Digimon Adventure, I'm talking about the entirety of the Adventure universe, including the Wonderswan games, interviews, articles, and the drama CDs (stuff that not everyone knows about, and are not ALL translated or available to English audiences, but were at least in direct consideration when the TV shows were made and vice versa). Without these things, plot holes ABOUND in Adventure and Adventure 02, but I'd like to have a discussion with the perspective that these things were canon to both shows (flashbacks in 02 make this evident) and, in the midst of the chaos, shed some light on some aspects of the franchise that would be unexplained or confusing otherwise. I ask that the posters here try to do the same, to the best of their knowledge and ability.

Note that as long as they're relevant to Adventure, things that pop up in future non-Adventure seasons are also welcome (ie. Ryo appearing in Tamers, or Adventure protagonists dimension hopping to Xros Wars' world).

So, here's what I'm looking for and how:
--Plot holes, maybe through a list, that people can come up with.
--Why these things are plot holes. The general definition of a plot hole is "something that doesn't make sense in the plot." Missing plot elements, contradictory plot elements, things that just are plain weird, etc. are all different examples of this.
--In response to listed and explained plot holes, please give extra details you can critique or add to the plot holes, as well as sources or explanations to either support or refute claimed plot holes.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
While I appreciate the effort you are going to in order to get some discussion please note:

1. This thread is precisely the place for these discussions.

2. Leave the forum rules to the mods.

3. It is forum etiquette when asking people to respond to your posts that you include your own opinions or answer your own questions.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
While I appreciate the effort you are going to in order to get some discussion please note:

1. This thread is precisely the place for these discussions.

2. Leave the forum rules to the mods.

3. It is forum etiquette when asking people to respond to your posts that you include your own opinions or answer your own questions.

Thanks.

1) Since there isn't much content in Tri. to discuss yet, I figured it would end up going waaaay too off-topic for the Tri. thread. Hence why I made my own topic.

2) Noted.

3) It's hard when I often barely have an hour to type something up and have to close out of my browsers every day, if that. I can't save drafts of a post on a site and go back to it later... right? Either way, also noted. I'm more or less curious of what OTHER people are concerned about, since I tend to have quite a few answers. But here are a few points even I can't find answers to in order to start the discussion:

A - Do people remember the Odaiba incident from Adventure in Adventure 02? Or the digital world making an appearance in the sky around the world?

This is a "missing element"/"contradictory element" plot hole because it simply isn't addressed, and it makes little sense in terms of the events of the past compared to events now.
They give a little exposition to tell us that yes, people do remember the incident, and yes, a ton of researchers have been trying to figure out what happened, even now. I think Koshiro mentions this in a drama CD as well. The 02 protagonists were chosen as a result of this as well. BUT, and this is a big BUT, a ton of common people in Japan (Kyoto, Hikarigaoka, etc.) don't seem to recall giant monsters. At the very least, Hikarigaoka had digimon crashing through the streets (again), so why did no one remember this when it happened in the same area 3 years later? Or is it just not even addressed if people remember or not there?
The only thing I can think of, on that note, is that the people freaking out either don't live there and never saw the monsters before, or... I don't really know. I'm surprised it wasn't a big talking point on the news.

B - Does time pass in the digital world differently by 02?

"Missing element"/"contradictory element" plot hole again.
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I was paying attention when I watched it recently and never saw anything. We DO know the digital world has been changing a lot since the first season. We also know, accoridng to a drama CD, that gates opened quite randomly between then and 02 (which is why Taichi was back in the digital world in the very beginning of 02). However, time difference in season 1 was so huge that just a few minutes would pass in the real world and months would pass in the digital world. If this were the case in 02, then the kaiser would have been in the digital world for years upon years at a time making the dark towers and enslaving digimon. While this could be possible, I guess, it isn't even addressed and, if it were true, had little effect on Ken or the digital world. And imagine how much time would pass between the characters getting a message on their D-terminals and finally getting to a gate to rescue their friends. I mean, you can always just emit that last part as being minor details and not let it bother you, but it's far from the only issue here.
All they need is a disclaimer to say, "time differences have gotten much smaller due to the evolution of the digital world" or something similar. Did anyone catch anything I didn't?
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
B - Does time pass in the digital world differently by 02?

"Missing element"/"contradictory element" plot hole again.
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I was paying attention when I watched it recently and never saw anything. We DO know the digital world has been changing a lot since the first season. We also know, accoridng to a drama CD, that gates opened quite randomly between then and 02 (which is why Taichi was back in the digital world in the very beginning of 02). However, time difference in season 1 was so huge that just a few minutes would pass in the real world and months would pass in the digital world. If this were the case in 02, then the kaiser would have been in the digital world for years upon years at a time making the dark towers and enslaving digimon. While this could be possible, I guess, it isn't even addressed and, if it were true, had little effect on Ken or the digital world. And imagine how much time would pass between the characters getting a message on their D-terminals and finally getting to a gate to rescue their friends. I mean, you can always just emit that last part as being minor details and not let it bother you, but it's far from the only issue here.
All they need is a disclaimer to say, "time differences have gotten much smaller due to the evolution of the digital world" or something similar. Did anyone catch anything I didn't?

This one was brought up at the very end of the first season. By defeating uh...Apocalypsemon I think it was? Whatever his name was by beating him the distortion of the digital world was fixed and the times were matched up again. By the 2nd season time flows the same in both worlds.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:
This one was brought up at the very end of the first season. By defeating uh...Apocalypsemon I think it was? Whatever his name was by beating him the distortion of the digital world was fixed and the times were matched up again. By the 2nd season time flows the same in both worlds.

...Was that part of what Gennai told them after they suggested they'd stay in the digital world for several years until the end of summer vacation? I don't remember. I thought he only said they had a few minutes/hours left until the gate closed, but... let me double-check. I have the DVD.

[EDIT]Yes, indeed, it was. Thanks for that!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1