• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses A Certain Scientific Accelerator Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Really excited to start reading this. I freakin' love Accelerator.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember that Kamachi Kazuma said in an interview that he considers all the spin-off material and adaptations as canon - for example, the Febri Arc in To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S.
ssjokg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I remember that Kamachi Kazuma said in an interview that he considers all the spin-off material and adaptations as canon - for example, the Febri Arc in To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S.
Never read that interview but all original fillers in Railgun go against established rules he made in the Novels and Manga(like spoiler[Misaka not being able to beata single Power Suit( but then obliterating hundreds of them),surviving in space etc]).

Also he never made references to events and characters that appear in them in even tho the events could be considered major ones.Only Therestina Kihara was mentioned by other Kihara's and only by name.
Kongou's introduction was changed in the manga as well.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:

Hate to crush your dreams, but this should really be called A Certain Missing Accelerator.

ssjokg wrote:
Never read that interview but all original fillers in Railgun go against established rules he made in the Novels and Manga(like spoiler[Misaka not being able to beata single Power Suit( but then obliterating hundreds of them),surviving in space etc]).

Also he never made references to events and characters that appear in them in even tho the events could be considered major ones.Only Therestina Kihara was mentioned by other Kihara's and only by name.

The only point you have there is Kongou's introduction happened at different times. Given that Kamachi has used the material, it is a better assumption that it is canon than that it isn't.

None of those spoilers contradict anything either. spoiler[She had trouble with that one power suit because she doesn't kill. She could have easily demolished it, but she had no idea it wasn't manned (and it was a manned model). She didn't survive in space. That was just upper atmosphere. ] If your suspension of disbelief for Raildex stops at her spoiler[staying in the upper atmosphere long enough to railgun a robot...] how did you ever get past episode 1 (or LN 1) of Index or ep 1 of railgun? You do realize that a coin traveling mach 3 won't demolish concrete or flip a car right?
OH&S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I am quite surprised By this. But perhaps seven seas should have waited until the manga actually became good instead of the total bore it has been so far...
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
He showed in what, 4 chapters? I'm excited for it though. Will buy.
ssjokg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
infamoustakai wrote:

Hate to crush your dreams, but this should really be called A Certain Missing Accelerator.

ssjokg wrote:

The only point you have there is Kongou's introduction happened at different times. Given that Kamachi has used the material, it is a better assumption that it is canon than that it isn't.

None of those spoilers contradict anything either. spoiler[She had trouble with that one power suit because she doesn't kill. She could have easily demolished it, but she had no idea it wasn't manned (and it was a manned model). She didn't survive in space. That was just upper atmosphere. ] If your suspension of disbelief for Raildex stops at her spoiler[staying in the upper atmosphere long enough to railgun a robot...] how did you ever get past episode 1 (or LN 1) of Index or ep 1 of railgun? You do realize that a coin traveling mach 3 won't demolish concrete or flip a car right?

I also know that all of the abilities dont make sense due to physics(creation of vectors out of nothing,electricity etc)but the author gets past that with RMs.But that wouldnt be a problem even without proper explanation. spoiler[Surviving in in "upper atmosphere" is a feat only for Saints and those whose body isnt human anymore(#2).Upper atmosphere?Check the visuals again.Misaka was fine for no reason in an environment that should at very least sent you at hospital.Remember Vol.22 of Index, Star of Bethlehem ?That was at 10km and they were afraid of doing anything.If you think that in Railgun S it was less than 10km then you should check your eyes.Also teleportation in Raildex conserves momentum.Kuroko should have crashed into the ground=instadeath.But lets not go that far.Saten is a pilot prodigy that learned to pilot a mecha in one night?Random kids with no powers can beat/stall Power suits with sticks?Yomikawa lets kids fight because of "rules"?Uiharu is reduced into a web search engine?Academy City as a whole fails to notice a random group of nobodies?Yeah lets ignore everything we knew about Index and its characters.
Oh and Misaka has a couple of ways to make a Power suit unable to fight without hurting the pilot in case they exist,like destroying the legs.]

I never said that Kongou isnt canon.Railgun's Kongou isnt.Especially that joke of a char they made in Railgun S.Then again every char became a joke in Silent Party arc.

ANd which interview was that again?

Kamachi has flaws as a writer sure.But at least he never contradicts whatever rules he previously wrote.Accepting bs from others is the same as destroying his own work with is own hands.
And in case that interview actually exists, let me remind you of another very popular writer who expressed his satisfaction and extreme happiness over the adaptation of his even now popular work, but now he and his company dont even list that adaptation in their franchise's timeline.That was Nasu Kinoko about Fate/Stay Night's first anime adaptation.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
ssjokg wrote:
I also know that all of the abilities don't make sense due to physics(creation of vectors out of nothing,electricity etc)but the author gets past that with RMs.But that wouldnt be a problem even without proper explanation. spoiler[Surviving in in "upper atmosphere" is a feat only for Saints and those whose body isnt human anymore(#2).Upper atmosphere?Check the visuals again.Misaka was fine for no reason in an environment that should at very least sent you at hospital.Remember Vol.22 of Index, Star of Bethlehem ?That was at 10km and they were afraid of doing anything.If you think that in Railgun S it was less than 10km then you should check your eyes.Also teleportation in Raildex conserves momentum.Kuroko should have crashed into the ground=instadeath.But lets not go that far.Saten is a pilot prodigy that learned to pilot a mecha in one night?Random kids with no powers can beat/stall Power suits with sticks?Yomikawa lets kids fight because of "rules"?Uiharu is reduced into a web search engine?Academy City as a whole fails to notice a random group of nobodies?Yeah lets ignore everything we knew about Index and its characters.
Oh and Misaka has a couple of ways to make a Power suit unable to fight without hurting the pilot in case they exist,like destroying the legs.]

spoiler[Kanzaki was way further out and that needed special mention because she was actually staying out to do stuff. The Star scene still makes sense. The issues for her being there would be temperature and breathing. For the time she was there in S she could hold her breath. We also know she can create heat indirectly through her powers. She likely could not do that in Vol 22 because she would have fried their plane. It isn't really that far out there considering the other physics bending you admit to.

The only issue with Kuroko is the visual. Her being up there and teleporting back to the ground is just fine. The anime bent that rule in Index 2 as well. That doesn't invalidate the plot.

Hamazura learned to pilot the dragon rider with absolutely no prior knowledge of it. Saten figuring out how to swing it around to crush stuff with a night to study is somehow far fetched?

Yomikawa let Touma fight against the golem.

Who said Academy City failed to notice? Kamachi let Misaka clean up problems for them in both Railgun SS novels.

It is a humanoid suit not much bigger than grown adult. Decent chance there is a human leg in the suit's leg when piloted. Just blowing it away knowing if there was the person would certainly die isn't how Misaka does stuff.]
ssjokg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
ssjokg wrote:
I also know that all of the abilities don't make sense due to physics(creation of vectors out of nothing,electricity etc)but the author gets past that with RMs.But that wouldnt be a problem even without proper explanation. spoiler[Surviving in in "upper atmosphere" is a feat only for Saints and those whose body isnt human anymore(#2).Upper atmosphere?Check the visuals again.Misaka was fine for no reason in an environment that should at very least sent you at hospital.Remember Vol.22 of Index, Star of Bethlehem ?That was at 10km and they were afraid of doing anything.If you think that in Railgun S it was less than 10km then you should check your eyes.Also teleportation in Raildex conserves momentum.Kuroko should have crashed into the ground=instadeath.But lets not go that far.Saten is a pilot prodigy that learned to pilot a mecha in one night?Random kids with no powers can beat/stall Power suits with sticks?Yomikawa lets kids fight because of "rules"?Uiharu is reduced into a web search engine?Academy City as a whole fails to notice a random group of nobodies?Yeah lets ignore everything we knew about Index and its characters.

spoiler[Kanzaki was way further out and that needed special mention because she was actually staying out to do stuff. The Star scene still makes sense. The issues for her being there would be temperature and breathing. For the time she was there in S she could hold her breath. We also know she can create heat indirectly through her powers. She likely could not do that in Vol 22 because she would have fried their plane. It isn't really that far out there considering the other physics bending you admit to.

The only issue with Kuroko is the visual. Her being up there and teleporting back to the ground is just fine. The anime bent that rule in Index 2 as well. That doesn't invalidate the plot.

Hamazura learned to pilot the dragon rider with absolutely no prior knowledge of it. Saten figuring out how to swing it around to crush stuff with a night to study is somehow far fetched?

Yomikawa let Touma fight against the golem.

Who said Academy City failed to notice? Kamachi let Misaka clean up problems for them in both Railgun SS novels.

It is a humanoid suit not much bigger than grown adult. Decent chance there is a human leg in the suit's leg when piloted. Just blowing it away knowing if there was the person would certainly die isn't how Misaka does stuff.]
spoiler[Doesnt matter how far up Kanazki was.What matters is that SHE has the body that can survive in such environment.Misaka doesnt.Yeah holding your breath really helps.Misaka wasnt using her powers for anything other than Railgun,we have no visuals or narration for that.Same goes for the novel.Sorry no you dont just pass out after reaching higher than 10km such in short time without any countermeasure.The plot is connected to what is happening.If the chars survive in impossible situations because the plot needs it it is just bad.If Hamazura survives after taking a bullet to the brain then that would invalidate the plot.The same goes for the teleportation and "upper atmosphere" walk.

Hamazura was wearing a suit that did everything for him.Yes it is far fetched for a NORMAL/average student to be able to learn how to uses a supposedly complicated machine in one night.

While she and her comrades couldnt so shit against Ellis,but she did support him.In Silent Party she "pridefully " watches over them instead of joining.Well at least she was there unlike the rest of Anti Skill.Totally in character.

WHat problems?It was only in SS2 and at that time ONLY Misaka could do anything while being in Russia.At that time AC could do nothing at all because they needed info from Russia.In Silent party the forces of AC, for no reason at all, just dont exist.Even ITEM joins at the very last moment just so we can have an "awesome" finale not because they were actually needed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA89XkaVSBM
SO the pilot inside would be some kind of deformed 3+m tall human.Ok.Canon Misaka can easily break legs final parts without even hurting the pilot.Or just the thrusters.Just like she attacks cars robbers are using etc.]

Again, which interview?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Well that was fast
OH&S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh ssjokg and SilverTalon01, must you argue that here?

*Resists urge to join in and bash the Silent Party Arc*
drifty1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
But what I really want to know is: When is the anime going to get made? The manga is only so-so, but the manga adaptation of Railgun was also only so-so.
Stiles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Love Accelerator, but the manga is definitely missing him right now. I also love how much Kamachi wants to flesh out his own universe, but I'm not sure this manga is hitting the right notes thus far.

Still, great acquisition. Good on you, Seven Seas.

And the Silent Party is non-canonical filler. The Three Stories Arc contradicts it due to the absence of a certain esper, who should be there bothering Misaka throughout the week of time the Silent Party takes place in.
natchu96

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
drifty1 wrote:
But what I really want to know is: When is the anime going to get made? The manga is only so-so, but the manga adaptation of Railgun was also only so-so.

What manga adaptation? Railgun manga was the original . . .

As for that huge spoiler block of a pointless argument I’d like to point out that a bullet to the head is actually survivable in normal conditions depending on where in your head the bullet wound up. You might not even have too much brain damage if you’re lucky. I do mean lucky though, most of the brain is pretty important. People have survived bigger objects impaling them in the skull before.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Now if we can only get an announcement about a 3rd season of Index and Railgun in addition to a season of Accelerator.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2