• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Campaign to Plant Evangelion's Spear on Moon Fails to Meet Crowdfunding Goal

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Too bad it didn't meet its goal because I think that would have been cool to have on the moon. Even if it failed to meet its goal, I think they are acting like a true professional to refund the backers.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Well, refunding the backers is what you're required to do if a crowdfunding campaign doesn't meet its goal. Well, that's the rule for Kickstarter anyway.

I wasn't sure if this would succeed or not. On the one hand, it's Evangelion. Fans will pay huge sums of money to get pointless things. On the other hand, backers don't really receive anything from this the way they would if it was a video game, or a figurine, or a watch, or something you'd buy like a normal cwordfunding campaign.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Well I'm not surprised by this. Yeah I knew this project wouldn't have met the goal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
The project started accepting foreign contributions only about 6 days from the deadline. Better luck next time.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
$825,000 to launch a tiny object into oblivion. What a waste that would've been.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Had the campaign started accepting foreign donations much earlier, this project would've had a fairer chance at succeeding. Oh, well, maybe next time...
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Well,I guess thats at least one team down. I wounder how many other teams will drop out before the competition ends .

EDIT: Looks like these guys have a partnership with another team so maybe they still might have a chance minus the whole EVA thing .
http://lunar.xprize.org/press-release/two-google-lunar-xprize-teams-announce-rideshare-partnership-mission-moon-2016
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Looks like "Fly Me to the Moon" won't be playing on that flight.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
$825,000 to launch a tiny object into oblivion. What a waste that would've been.

This.

Many were not naive enough to fall for such pointless bait and pointless project. Too bad if people can throw away money for such things that they cannot throw a coin for other more worthwhile causes.

And IF and only IF, as other people speculated in the precious article this whole pointless eva thing was just and excuse too fool eva fans and get quick money out of them for other space related project they got it coming for not being sincere from the beginning and come up with the real intention of such project...IF that was the case.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

essentially, if it was a fully scale replica of the lance, then that would have been worthwhile but honestly, ontop of being a wasteful publicity stunt it adds nothing more to what matters for anno and his studio khara.... theres already a mass of eva merchandise, i dont even know if anno gives two fucks but its gross over exploitation, those 825k$ should have be used for the studio itself.

final verdict, exploitive and pointless.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, refunding the backers is what you're required to do if a crowdfunding campaign doesn't meet its goal. Well, that's the rule for Kickstarter anyway.
Kickstarter only charges your card if the campaign succeeds. Given how they're they're speaking, I suspect Readyfor might keep the funds in escrow instead.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

It would have been a waste, if you had put your money down, and you didn't like the results.
But it was other people's money, and I think they have a different opinion on what they consider wasteful.
Also, it was the moon, not Oblivion. Though, the residents of Oblivion might have found it to be a curious object for their mantle piece.
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:

This.
Many were not naive enough to fall for such pointless bait and pointless project. Too bad if people can throw away money for such things that they cannot throw a coin for other more worthwhile causes.

I always find it funny how people like to tell others how they can spend their money.
Almost like, how the rest of the world views anime fans and our hobby.
Life is short enough as it is. If it puts a smile on your face to contribute to a small project, that is part of a much larger lunar project, then it is worth the expense, if you are happy.

Not too mention the interest it will drive to space exploration in general.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
We don't have to put our money down to have a view on this outrageous crowdfunding failure.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
On the other hand, backers don't really receive anything from this the way they would if it was a video game, or a figurine, or a watch, or something you'd buy like a normal cwordfunding campaign.

I suspect that was a big hurdle. People can get behind projects that have a goal of making something that people will enjoy for a long time to come. If this had completed it would have basically boiled down to a one-off novelty. Aside from being able to say, "Isn't that neat?" I don't know that there is much to interest folks.
Fabe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Levonr wrote:

It would have been a waste, if you had put your money down, and you didn't like the results.
But it was other people's money, and I think they have a different opinion on what they consider wasteful.
Also, it was the moon, not Oblivion. Though, the residents of Oblivion might have found it to be a curious object for their mantle piece.
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:

This.

I always find it funny how people like to tell others how they can spend their money.
Almost like, how the rest of the world views anime fans and our hobby.
Life is short enough as it is. If it puts a smile on your face to contribute to a small project, that is part of a much larger lunar project, then it is worth the expense, if you are happy.

Not too mention the interest it will drive to space exploration in general.

Tars, I think you and I are the only ones who understand what this project was really about while every one else can't see pass the fund raising gimmick. I'm still hoping they make it since I'm interested in their plan to explore the possible caves that might be on the moon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1