• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Premiere Doraemon Season 2 on June 15

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
Yay! I'm glad Doraemon is still being dubbed:D
Now to wait for the DVD release that will someday come.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
its hilarious how this is being advertise as season 2 yet japan has like 30 seasons worth of content. crazy
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
Yay!!! I was super worried that it got cancelled! But our favorite Robotic cat is back!!! Yaaaaay!! (But couldn't they air it after Star versus the Forces of Evile or Geavity falls instead of like 1:00 in the afternoon? Who's gonna remember that time?)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:
its hilarious how this is being advertise as season 2 yet japan has like 30 seasons worth of content. crazy

They're only distributing the 00's remake, which improves on most of the core classic Fujio manga stories that were already covered by the 70's series.
And frankly, the five-minute length and primitive animation of the 70's series were their own worst enemy to export sales, for all those years we didn't pick it up.

(And yeah, would be nice to have the DVD's, but don't think Disney's negotiated for them yet.
Or for the feature movies, although "Gadget Museum" would probably be the closest fit to the dubbed series so far.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
The dub just absolutely sucked. About as bad as any dub from 4Kids.
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
#821235 wrote:

The Dub isn't aimed at your age group. It's for the younger audience.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
I was able to catch this for about a day and really liked it, but I couldn't really find it on reasonable hours after the week or so it was airing near non-stop. I hope they don't do it again and actually give Doraemon a chance to get some viewership.

The decisions made for the English-language Doraemon, I feel, are aimed at non-anime people. The people who don't know what a dorayaki is, think "Shizuka" is a naughty word, calling someone "Giant" is offensive, and wonder why their schools have teachers changing rooms between periods instead of students. The strategy behind the English-language version is to cast as wide a net as possible. Hence, accessibility takes priority over faithfulness.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
Note: Please read before you post.

Deoxy360 wrote:
#821235 wrote:

The Dub isn't aimed at your age group. It's for the younger audience.

That isn't an excuse for insulting everyone's intelligence. I'm sorry, but the whole "demographic" explanation is really flimsy, in my opinion. No offense.

In any case, it was the wrong answer. It ultimately doesn't matter if it was a success or not. All this tells anybody, of any age--in both the short term, and the long term--is "No, you're wrong. We did this because you need to understand how important healthy living is. What's that? You already understand, and even practice it regularly? Too bad, we're telling you anyway." Furthermore, what we also have here is a case of "political correctness gone mad". Replacing Shizuka's doll with a diary actually hurts this show, not only because it's a "macekre", but also because it's an insult to those who do play with dolls, which I don't think there's anything wrong with. No, not everyone plays with dolls, but seeing someone do it on TV or in the movies doesn't necessarily make it stereotypical, nor does it (necessarily) impact how girls are portrayed on TV or movies (that all depends on how it's written, and what message they're going before, but I'm getting off subject). In the end all this is is a social commentary on the part of the network (who I'm certain ordered these changes; Viz Media has had the license for years, or rather, Shopro Entertainment had had it for years, long before the merger, so it's unlikely that they willingly did this themselves) that comes at the expense of the show's original artistic integrity, even if some edits still needed to be made to keep the show family-friendly by North American standards...

Alright, I've had my say. I know not everyone will agree, but while some changes were necessary, others weren't, and the unnecessary changes (IMO) will have a much more negative impact in the long run. Also, even if the original Japanese version were to be made available for legal streaming now, it would create a similar disparity to Cardcaptor Sakura: one version for "the fans", and another for "everyone else". In short, it really is that bad. We need to be bringing people together, not dividing them even further. In any case, I'm really hoping this won't set a precedent for future anime broadcast on American TV...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah they usually show two episodes at 12:30 and 1pm during the week when kids are still in school (and like 5am too...). Maybe this summer it could actually have a chance at some ratings, since more kids are gonna be home. It might get more showings once it gets more episodes. DVR might help some too.

Glad it's back for a Season 2. From what I've seen, it's a funny show with a fun premise. Really hope it catches on here!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
@TheHTRO

Um...you're pointing your fingers at the wrong people. It actually WASN'T Disney this time editing out the Japanese stuff. Believe it or not, it was the distributors who are responsible for the edits. Here's a quote from an article posted on this website last year, "Doraemon Anime's Visual & Script Changes for U.S. TV Detailed":

Quote:
The three Japanese companies that hold the copyrights — TV Asahi, Fujiko F. Fujio Production, and TV Asahi's anime studio subsidiary Shinei Animation — are producing the English version by contracting it to American studios.

Here's your scapegoats. Have at em.

(BTW, I only saw the first half of the first episode months ago. It was fine. I'm way too old for this, considering that the original show itself is for very young children.)
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
What's with this hillbilly attitude towards anything foreign when it comes to children's entertainment? Why does it need to be localized? Doraemon isn't intellectually challenging at all even for kids, and certainly not from a cultural standpoint either. It sounds more like catering to the xenophobic crowd to me.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
If they decided to air it online and on Cartoon Network's site, then they might be able to get away with more controversial content. I also find it ironic that Toei did a similar thing with the 4Kids One Piece but 4Kids lost the license.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
Yay! More Doraemon! Despite the edits, I really liked the dub and the voice acting. And it premieres on my sister's birthday! Awesome! Very Happy
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
While I really despise all of that editing that the English version of Doraemon went through, I am satisfied that Season 2 of the show is on the way. The voice acting sounded great on the initial season, so maybe I'll give the show another whirl.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Furthermore, what we also have here is a case of "political correctness gone mad". Replacing Shizuka's doll with a diary actually hurts this show, not only because it's a "macekre", but also because it's an insult to those who do play with dolls, which I don't think there's anything wrong with. No, not everyone plays with dolls, but seeing someone do it on TV or in the movies doesn't necessarily make it stereotypical, nor does it (necessarily) impact how girls are portrayed on TV or movies (that all depends on how it's written, and what message they're going before, but I'm getting off subject).

Uh, in the original episode, Doraemon lets Nobi play with an Instant Time Capsule kit (and then has to go into the future to get it back), and when the gang is offering up objects to bury, Shizuka puts in her doll hoping it'll be valuable in a hundred years.
Okay, show of hands, how many other people read the out-of-context news article and thought it was because "it was important to her"? Laughing

Quote:
In the end all this is is a social commentary on the part of the network (who I'm certain ordered these changes; Viz Media has had the license for years, or rather, Shopro Entertainment had had it for years, long before the merger, so it's unlikely that they willingly did this themselves)

Japan was determined to export Doraemon before the next Olympics whether we liked it or not, but they've still got a rather condescending idea of how much the West "doesn't know" about Japan. Behind our backs, they rather pride themselves on how much they think we "don't know", in fact.
Expect a LOT more volunteer localizations once Cool Japan gets its big fat government hands into export without appraising the US anime market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3