• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gear Up for Golf with New Gundam Equipment

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyIdiots

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a hilarious way to golf, but the gold bag is supposed to be the Hyaku Shiki and the black black should be a Black Tri-star reference and not a original Zaku since those are green.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm always befuddled by how a supposedly niche interest has such wide reaching marketing power. On the one hand I've heard inumerable testimony that anime is just a niche sub-culture for otaku and children, even in Japan. Blu Ray sales would aslo seem to support this. But then I see things like this article that display anime's undeniable market penetration when it comes to merchandising and advertising and I just can't make sense of it. If I were to equate it to American terms, it would be like punk music having the marketing reach of a major sports league. Are there any academic resources out there that explore this phenomenon?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, imagine an anime fan here who would maybe purchase one of those for his golf games. Don't know if it would be conversation piece.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
The Gundam-issued golf gear can make a summer golf game feel like a spacious adventure through the fairbanks.
Ashminigun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
CrazyIdiots wrote:
Sounds like a hilarious way to golf, but the gold bag is supposed to be the Hyaku Shiki and the black black should be a Black Tri-star reference and not a original Zaku since those are green.

Haha. I bet those who opt the red Char's design will feel that he/she will hit the ball 3x further down range and improve your game 3x better than without the bag. Ha, what a buff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
If you're a golfer and the type who golfs a lot, ya can afford those. Laughing

noblesse oblige wrote:

I'm always befuddled by how a supposedly niche interest has such wide reaching marketing power. On the one hand I've heard inumerable testimony that anime is just a niche sub-culture for otaku and children, even in Japan. Blu Ray sales would aslo seem to support this. But then I see things like this article that display anime's undeniable market penetration when it comes to merchandising and advertising and I just can't make sense of it. If I were to equate it to American terms, it would be like punk music having the marketing reach of a major sports league. Are there any academic resources out there that explore this phenomenon?

It's Gundam; it's a cultural icon.
Like Mickey Mouse to people who are not into animation.

Ashminigun wrote:

Haha. I bet those who opt the red Char's design will feel that he/she will hit the ball 3x further down range and improve your game 3x better than without the bag. Ha, what a buff.

Ya can go thru the course 3x faster! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1