• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga With Biggest 1st Printings from Kodansha, Shogakukan, Shueisha: 2014-2015

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
One Piece sales numbers unbelievable as always.

Notable that most of the top 10 titles in all three publishers have an anime adaptation either released or in the pipeline within the timeframe specified.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
Who'd have thunk Silver Spoon was Shogakukan's biggest shounen seller?
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
You'd think that being a top seller would entice somebody to bring Silver Spoon over to this side of the world. Can we please get an English release?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
It important to note that these are the initial-run print numbers, not the sales figures. One can print 1,000 copies of a volume and show it to the investors, but if the volume only sold some 100, then that print number is as good as being a paper weight. I do know that neither series mentioned in the article performed badly (to put it lightly. They are among the top-sellers, after all), but those numbers by themselves don't provide a lot of insight on the series' performance. Also, these are the first-run print numbers, so additional runs aren't included.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I would expect the number of copies in the first print run to be based on the initial sales of the previous volumes.
If that is true then these numbers do provide some insight into the performance of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Those print numbers for Silver Spoon are indicative of an interesting split between the Japanese and American manga market. I laugh imagining the difficulty getting an American child to read something like that.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Who'd have thunk Silver Spoon was Shogakukan's biggest shounen seller?

I expected that, honestly, given how well Fullmetal Alchemist was written.
And after reading the first eleven volumes of the manga (I bought the twelfth one yesterday but I've yet to read it) I also think it really deserves it. Smile

I just wish Mix was higher in the rank, but I guess Adachi writes his manga in a way that is more appealing to my generation (30 or even 40-year-old people), than for a younger audience.
That said, he's one of my favourite mangaka (probably only second to Osamu Tezuka), and one of the best for sure.

One Piece outranking anything else is also both expected and deserved, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1