• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: David Wald to Play Count Magnus Lee in New Vampire Hunter D English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't sound awful, how about some screencaps of that BD though?
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Magnus Lee was originally voiced by Jeff Winkless in Streamline's version. It was not a particularly good performance, lots of stiff, stilted delivery and cheesy, artificial sound equipment to make him sound more "vampirish" than usual.

I've mentioned this on Sentai's film, but I like what I hear of the new dub already.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Well not to bad but I like the old one better
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Magnus Lee was originally voiced by Jeff Winkless in Streamline's version. It was not a particularly good performance, lots of stiff, stilted delivery and cheesy, artificial sound equipment to make him sound more "vampirish" than usual.

I've mentioned this on Sentai's film, but I like what I hear of the new dub already.

[/b]its good & an improvment, however unless it does insanely well considering how expensive dubs are in general, this could end up being really costly for sentai .[/b] sure while the streamline dub isnt one to write home to, but its definitely not bad at all. especially since most of us started watching anime from that version back when sci fi and CN was showing it in the early 90's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Dubbing has gotten substantially cheaper over the last decade and a half. Even moreso with the non-union companies that dub in-house with local talent. Based on things I've seen quoted by ANN's Justin Sevakis, I'd guess that Sentai dubbed this for less than $10K, probably less than half of that.

I like the old Streamline dub for its heavy-handed cheesiness, but this sounds like a pretty good match for a more serious dub.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
Dubbing has gotten substantially cheaper over the last decade and a half. Even moreso with the non-union companies that dub in-house with local talent. Based on things I've seen quoted by ANN's Justin Sevakis, I'd guess that Sentai dubbed this for less than $10K, probably less than half of that.

I like the old Streamline dub for its heavy-handed cheesiness, but this sounds like a pretty good match for a more serious dub.

A lot of people really disliked the Streamline VHD dub, though, especially on Amazon where a lot of people there are critical of dubbing. But VHD's dub hasn't aged as gracefully to my ears. The voice that really killed it for me was that of Dan, Doris' brother. He sounded very unconvincing and distractingly feminine, plus he was badly acted. The dialogue sounded very choppy and stilted as well. I like that Sentai's script is going for something more natural.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
A lot of people really disliked the Streamline VHD dub, though, especially on Amazon where a lot of people there are critical of dubbing.

I'm well aware of that. Hating on Streamline dubs was a thing in the '90s. In otaku years I'm ancient (late 30s) and I remember the '90s era of anime fandom fairly well. Carl Macek had some "unique" ideas about how to punch up a dub, hence my use of "heavy handed cheesiness" to describe it. I don't think anyone thinks the old dub is great in an objective sense, but there's nevertheless a goofy charm that comes out of it being a project of its time.

None of that is to say that I'm crying over its absence in the new Sentai release. It sounds like it'll be a perfectly fine new dub. I'm just happy this is getting a BD.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
TurnerJ wrote:
A lot of people really disliked the Streamline VHD dub, though, especially on Amazon where a lot of people there are critical of dubbing.

I'm well aware of that. Hating on Streamline dubs was a thing in the '90s. In otaku years I'm ancient (late 30s) and I remember the '90s era of anime fandom fairly well. Carl Macek had some "unique" ideas about how to punch up a dub, hence my use of "heavy handed cheesiness" to describe it. I don't think anyone thinks the old dub is great in an objective sense, but there's nevertheless a goofy charm that comes out of it being a project of its time.

None of that is to say that I'm crying over its absence in the new Sentai release. It sounds like it'll be a perfectly fine new dub. I'm just happy this is getting a BD.

I didn't start my Anime fandom until sometime roughly around 1998 on account of watching Kiki's Delivery Service, but I think it was sometime around 1999-2000 that I started getting braver. While I don't think all of Streamline's output was totally bad -- their version of Totoro was good, as was Wicked City, as much as I detest that movie (too disgusting for my tastes) and Great Conquest wasn't too bad either. But certain titles like Castle of Cagliostro, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, and Castle in the Sky my first viewing experience was with their current dub counterparts, not their Macek ones, nor was I aware of their previous existence. I've sampled parts of those older dubs, and to be honest I prefer the current versions because that's what I'm most familiar with. It is interesting to compare between the two, though.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. Wald's voice is a surprising fit for Magnus now that I'm hearing it clearly. Can't wait to hear who else they got for the others VHD characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1