• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the review! Keep up the good work Smile

As a fan of the manga, i greatly enjoyed this season. "What, so you like HAREM series, you trash?!" you may ask- actually, for me, a lot of the enjoyment of the series comes from seeing an author as weird and unconventional as Tsutomu Nihei use something as common as 'a harem' in his manga. Yeah, there's a lot here that isn't very original, but there were enough unique elements (Izana, etc.), or common elements portrayed in new ways, that i didn't mind as much.

I'm really glad that this show eventually got to Tsumugi, one of the truly unique and interesting ideas the manga had. Her characterization may not be anything new, but her appearance, and her true biological nature, stand on their own merits.

One thing that did bother me while watching this is how nothing really seems to bother Nagate all that much. Some really, REALLY f***ed up stuff happens to him, especially towards the end, and besides losing his temper for a short time it never has any long-term ramifications at all.

I can see someone giving the show a B (it's not like it's a negative review, so i'm not upset about it Razz), but I enjoyed the show regardless. I thought the animation directors did a fine job condensing the story material into a coherent season, and i really hope we get a season 3.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
I like the mention of the battle in episode 12 as being quite amazing. Indeed some plot points do just float around, and it feels like Nagate's resolve is a little odd that we had no mention there was a problem.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
, ending feels more like a stopping point than a true conclusion.
Eh...while true I really didn't look at it this way. I didn't really think it was MEANT to be an conclusion. I mean, it's fairly obvious they didn't get to the final battle. Planet Nine was obtained to prepare for the big, hopefully final battle. I was just assuming a movie or OVA would finish it off.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
This really good scifi anime, i have to say the Battle for planet nine through me off when i saw it initially. I was not thrilled about mecha being formed a woman in a dress, i thought that was too much fan service snuck in there.

Aside form that it was still well executed and writing great.

As for the conclusion, they Sidonia seem to be stating their going live in system.

There still issue of the aliens inhabiting some of the co-conspiraters of the Captain that needs to be resolved.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I was not thrilled about mecha being formed a woman in a dress, i thought that was too much fan service snuck in there.

Come on man, where's your sense of artistic wonder? I thought the design was really cool!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
, ending feels more like a stopping point than a true conclusion.
Eh...while true I really didn't look at it this way. I didn't really think it was MEANT to be an conclusion. I mean, it's fairly obvious they didn't get to the final battle. Planet Nine was obtained to prepare for the big, hopefully final battle. I was just assuming a movie or OVA would finish it off.

This series should have been titled Prelude to battle for planet 9 because that is what it is. The format of 12 episodes per season hurts storytelling and this is one occasion were it happens. The manga at this point has so much material that could come up with another 50 episodes worth of content. And more if you deviate more or less from the manga. So giving us 12 episodes per year is and I say this as a big big fan of this series, pretty well underwhelming. The episodes while staying mostly true to the manga feel really rushed. And it's a great pity. The whole comic angle between Izana, Midorikawa, Pink tentacle and Nagate could have been more expanded, as well as the machinations of Ochiaia. And lets not forget the settlers and Kobayashi's going on dictatorship mode.

Damn this new era for low episode count, low budget animation. Sidonia deserves far far better in terms of episode count.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
The whole comic angle between Izana, Midorikawa, Pink tentacle and Nagate could have been more expanded. . .

I'm glad they didn't, as this was consistently the weakest part of the series for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
The whole comic angle between Izana, Midorikawa, Pink tentacle and Nagate could have been more expanded. . .

I'm glad they didn't, as this was consistently the weakest part of the series for me.

Agreed- i didn't hate that content in the manga or the show, but i fully approve of the show condensing that stuff a bit. I personally thought the show did a great job fitting all that content into 12 episodes. For an example of how badly that can go, just check out how Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches completely destroyed its story in the last few episodes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

and if they did , it definitely would have made some people dislike the series. even comparing it as a bad version of gundam seed destiny.

Quote:
The entire English cast continues from the first season, with the only “new” role, that of Tsumugi, also being done by Alexi Shi (who is either Stephanie Sheh under a pseudonym or a vocal dead ringer for her), the voice of Shizuka Hoshijiro; both roles are also done by the same voice actress in Japanese
that i hardly doubt that's the case here cause i'm probably sure there are some kind of name limits that independent VAs like seph, bosch and other non-unions like blum ,dan green and miss taylor can only use a certain amount of aliases

though while i could be wrong about that. since i got my jaw droped when other users of the forums told me she used an alias while voicing the hot head / lesbian magnet kirie from Girls Bravo, i definitely dont want to jump the gun on this since to be frank the whole R&R on union/non-union and independent VAs are confusing as hell.

then again, for all we know it might be the VA that did Asia from High School DxD using an alias too since she have particularly the same if not identical soft vocal chords as Seph which is what a lot of people in the forums thought during the review of DxD Season 1.[b](However that theory is only possible if she becomes an independent or a non-union VA and not a Funi/Sentai VA exclusive)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Solid review. Although I do get the feeling that Theron is bit more strict with scifi/mecha stuff than he is with slice of life series.

I'm hoping that Sidonia sells enough in Japan to get a 3rd season or OVA. Specially now that the manga is entering it's final phase.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I personally...did not like this show at ALL. Sadly, I put up with season one and finished it...but when I got into season 2, towards the middle..it started to show the pointless, unnecessary freaken fan service. I thought I would love it because of the mechs and scifi but NO! Its a bunch of girls dick riding one guy trying to make him "NOTICE ME SENPAI" crap!!! UGH. The animation was the only good thing about this show...I quit watching during the middle...the main guy is just like those weak characters..trying to be a hero..and then girls starts to fall for him...tired of that shet like seriously...I guess HAREM Anime is just not my thing...>_>
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I had fun with both seasons of the show. Its not particularly deep or philosophical nor even too mysterious. Heck in some ways its very typical, but it still managed to be a boatload of fun for me.

I'm not a giant fan of harem hijinks, but I think they managed to pull back before it became too tedious for my tastes. Also its a wacky harem which includes clones, a several stories tall hybrid alien, a former love interest that is now an alien with yandere qualities, and a new human that evolves into a gender based on its experiences with robotic prostheses to name a few. In that respect its funny in an absurd fashion.

Visually the battles still stand out and some of the backgrounds weren't too bad either. The character animation didn't seem as jerky as the first season, but its still there which is a shame.

I heard some of the first season's dub when it was broadcasting and I was underwhelmed. So that the dub remains unremarkable this second season is also a shame.

I'm really hoping that there will be enough positive feedback from BD/DVD sales in Japan and Netflix that it gets another season for a proper ending.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Solid review. Although I do get the feeling that Theron is bit more strict with scifi/mecha stuff than he is with slice of life series.

I'm hoping that Sidonia sells enough in Japan to get a 3rd season or OVA. Specially now that the manga is entering it's final phase.

Yeah, I think it can do well enough for another season. Here's hoping because I also enjoyed both seasons and would like to see it continue.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen the show yet, but I intend to. Sounds like season one is a serious sci-fi space opera, while season two gets infected with harem'itis.

Kinds sad. I like fan service and comedy. But they shouldn't be added to change the tone of a show, when it didn't have it to the same degree as the first season.

Sort of like being teased. Here have a serious space opera, and then in the second season they give you Love Hina in Space.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Haven't seen the show yet, but I intend to. Sounds like season one is a serious sci-fi space opera, while season two gets infected with harem'itis.

Kinds sad. I like fan service and comedy. But they shouldn't be added to change the tone of a show, when it didn't have it to the same degree as the first season.

Sort of like being teased. Here have a serious space opera, and then in the second season they give you Love Hina in Space.

Knights of Sidonia is a mix of space opera and harem comedy. And this is so from the very first volumes of the manga. The anime adaptation for whatever reason in the first season just decided to drop most/all of the harem bits present in the manga. So you got a very distorted view of what KoS was like. In the second season the animators went the other way and so a lot a people started complaining as if Polygon Pictures had actually desacrated the manga when it's the opposite in fact. The balance between seriousness and harem bits is very hard to achieve with a 12 episode per season format. The manga doesn't have this constraint so to a certain extent it is much more enjoyable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2