• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viewster Adds 10 Sentai Filmworks Shows Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malcolm Whatley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice, very mainstream; Dungeon ending was ok but that story ark, it will add about 1million in new anime-fans alone.
DDragonking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
It's very nice and all but when are you going to dub the second season of Fate/Kalied Sentai Question Question
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
If it's not any different from those on Crunchyroll or other established streaming sites, what's their advantage?
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If it's not any different from those on Crunchyroll or other established streaming sites, what's their advantage?

Perhaps they have licenses to stream in regions that are not served by CR? From the article,

Quote:
Log Horizon, Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, and Triage X will also be streaming in Latin America and South Africa. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei! and No Game, No Life will also be available in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa.

CR has rights to distribute some shows in regions outside the US. Usually they mention that fact in the description of the title. Looking at the entry for Log Horizon, for instance, I don't see any mention of streaming to other countries or regions.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

For series that are not simulcasts (such as HOTD) there is a chance they will be streaming the home video (uncensored) subtitled version; something unavailable on either TAN or Hulu.

As it currently stands, the dub version (available to TAN subscribers) is currently the only uncensored version available for legal streaming. (Although if I recall correctly, it was available on Netflix at one point).

If this occurs, it could be of interest for future Sentai acquisitions by Viewster.
NormanicGrav

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

For series that are not simulcasts (such as HOTD) there is a chance they will be streaming the home video (uncensored) subtitled version; something unavailable on either TAN or Hulu.

A good example of this is Demon King Daimao which is apparently using the home video (uncensored) version.

Viewster's doing a good job overall and they're helping the UK streaming side a lot with 50+ titles available to us (the UK anime community) exclusively on their site. The folks in Europe are also getting a nice treat of titles which aren't available on Crunchyroll (like the recent Aniplex simulcasts).

As I said before, Viewster is like the Discotek of streaming, they get whatever's available to them (whether its new 'Gangsta., Prison School', old 'Love Hina, School Days', or even unexpected 'Escaflowne, Gankutsuou, Wolf's Rain') and put them on their site.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

As it currently stands, the dub version (available to TAN subscribers) is currently the only uncensored version available for legal streaming. (Although if I recall correctly, it was available on Netflix at one point).

If this occurs, it could be of interest for future Sentai acquisitions by Viewster.

Yes, I just check and some like Daimao as NormanicCrazer mentioned, are the home video versions, so that's definitely an advantage. But you don't know which is home video and which is the broadcast, so you have to infer by how old it is then try to verify against known scene changes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1