• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Edited-For-Television Versions Of Anime Get Preserved?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
this is a lame responce and feel free to delete it if it breaks any rule, but they might be in youtube if someone transferred their vhs there; that's how I have found a few.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I still have my Toonami tapes of the edited Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragonball, and Dragonball Z. I'm keeping those.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I used to have a ton of tapes but I threw them out years ago. I sort of skimmed through each one before throwing it out though, all those Anime Unleashed and Toonami bumps filled me with nostalgia.
The ones I regret tossing are actually not anime, but old Daria episodes because the DVD release doesn't have the original background music due to licensing issues.
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I remember edited VHS (possibly on DVD) dub-only releases of Tenchi Muyo and Dragon Ball Z back in the day, but those are sure to be a rare find nowadays. I believe most of the anime series that were broadcasted on Toonami during the early 2000's where released on an edited format to some capacity; I wouldn't doubt that there's an edited Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star out there somewhere.

However those are no longer common practices now since anime is hardly on any afternoon cable TV time slots. The only recent edited DVD release I can think of is Funimation's "Rock the Dragon" edition of DBZ aimed specifically at the 90's nostalgia crowd since it features the original Ocean Studios cast with all of the TV edits in tact.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
The first anime I watched was CardCaptor Sakura, and it was dubbed in Spanish, and it was amazing. I can't think of myself watching the Japanese or English version. But the problem is that the CardCaptor Sakura dub does not exist in physical release! And I hate that. That's why I have to go to YouTube or any other "not so legal" video service to watch it.

I can say the same about DBZ, Digimon, Naruto or Pokemon. And I don't know if the companys that dubbed these anime released a DVD or a VHS of them. I don't even kniw if those companies still exist.

Netflix Latin America is doing a great job in bringing those old dubs, though. They've got the first 54 episodes of Naruto and 70-ish of Pokemon, both of them with the old Spanish dub. So I hope that someday they'll pick up my beloved Sakura dub so I can watch it legally.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
That's kind of a massive bummer to be honest. I know that I would be far more willing to lend certain anime series to my little siblings if I could get my hands on these edited versions.

That being said, I still have a quartet of VHS tapes that contain the Toonami version of Gundam Wings, as some of those "bowdlerized" lines are actually my favorites. I need to find a way to convert them digitally so that they can last longer . . .
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Given Justin's answer, the graphic attached to the column is a bit ironic. Cardcaptors was the edited version and was issued on DVD dub only. I don't think they released the entire edited version though.

The original version was issued on DVD as Card Captor Sakura. Eventually the entire series was released by Pioneer and has been recently re-released on Bluray by NISA.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
@Chito did the Spanish TV version of CCS have the extra scenesspoiler[ with the ghost of Sakura's Mother in Cloud card episode if you can remember since the edited English version did]

Last edited by sailorsweeper on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Once it reaches the Internet, it will be preserved for as long as technology and fans exist. And for card captor Sakura (not the best work from clamp) I would prefer the subbed. I haven't heard it in any other language besides English and Japanese, but the English version was horrible.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
When Digimon Adventure was released in Australia they were delivered poor masters for some episodes (IIRC really low picture quality and with station IDs burned in) and Madman was told that was the best available. Come the US release, better masters magically turned up from somewhere so it's more likely Toei just couldn't be bothered looking hard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
this is a lame responce and feel free to delete it if it breaks any rule, but they might be in youtube if someone transferred their vhs there; that's how I have found a few.

Not youtube -- it's very unlikely anyone who is posting episodes (whether altruistically or otherwise) has the actual legal authority to do so...

... but I wonder if Archive.org has an interest in that sort of footage? I'm not familiar with the specifics of what they do/do not archive, but I know they have tons of material and are legally considered a library (at least in California, where they operate). That gives a degree of freedom and protection that most individual uploaders would not have. I don't know if they actually archive video aside from (some) PBS and (some) news, however.

That said, I also have to ask, "What benefit would it serve?"

I suppose, academically, preservation of these videos could potentially give insight into how networks actually implemented their S&P with regards to what is considered acceptable material for children/teens (hence why Tenchi Muyo aired with swimsuits). Or maybe you could spin it as evaluating the marketing strategies of those companies (e.g. they're trying to sell advertising space to companies seeking young male viewers, so Card Captor Sakura became CardCaptors)....

Actually... In that sense, I could also see some slight benefit in preserving shows that were edited for TV several times over (e.g. Gundam Wing afternoon vs evening broadcasts)

Despite all that, however, there are still plenty of broadcasts which would have little or no academic value. You'd be hard pressed to justify preserving the first broadcast episode of Pokemon (which was episode#16 or something, but with slightly different intro/outro narration), or dubbing mistakes (e.g., several Pokemon episodes initially omitted dubbed lines despite having lip flaps), or editing oversights (e.g. Outlaw Star's Melfina sometimes was missing straps on her bikini on certain "safer" shots, rather than doing the needless editing to preserve continuity of her wardrobe).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I still have a few of the VHS tapes of some of the old shows. (Yes, I was an adult in the late 90s. I'm old.) They're sealed in boxes in the garage. I tried to sell them a few years ago and nobody wanted them. Does this mean that people would be willing to buy the first few seasons of Pokemon recorded off Kids WB?
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I remembered Kenshin on Toonami. I also remembered thinking out loud, "where's the blood? this suppose to be a samurai show, right? blades cutting thru flesh equals copious amounts of blood, right?"

Ahh, Pokémon: time to eat the doughnuts...or that ham-n-cheese sammich or that yummy sub.

Battle of the Planets is still around, so that's something.

Last edited by TnKtRk on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
What about long-ago TV dubs from when I was a kid, things like Fables of the Green Forest (Yama Nezumi Rokkī Chakku) or Belle and Sebastien (Meiken Jolie)? I wonder whether masters of those dubs still exist or if "taped off TV Ontario/Nickelodeon/etc... on VHS" is the best we can get?

One early 1980s dub I know has been preserved to some degree (beyond the obvious ones like Robotech and Battle of the Planets/G-Force) was The Little Prince since I saw a DVD set of it at a Shoppers Drug Mart a few years ago, although I don't think that set included more than about 12 episodes of however many episodes exist.

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
@Chito did the Spanish TV version of CCS have the extra scenesspoiler[ with the ghost of Sakura's Mother in Cloud card episode if you can remember since the edited English version did]

Yes, I've just checked it up, and she appears by the end of the episode. Is the same with the English version?

To be honest, I think the Spanish version that was broadcast back in the early 2000s in Cartoon Network was pretty good and was not edited as much as the first English version, in fact I think it wasn't edited at all. For example, the spoiler["yuri" love Tomoyo had for love Sakura] was well presented and well written, and in comparison with the original source, i.e. the Japanese version and the manga, you really get the same experience.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6