• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Inari Kon Kon BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer might want to point out that this release does not include an English dub.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The reviewer might want to point out that this release does not include an English dub.

Wait....really?!!! I thought Funi dub their shows...most of times.

Well, consider how abysmal this show did in disc sales, source material boost and merchandise sales, I wouldn't blame Funi's decision too much
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
If there's something I liked about this series in addition to the strong and relatable friendship storylines, it's the show's portrayal of its Kyoto setting. There isn't a shortage of shows set in or around the old capital city, not to mention the numerous class trip episodes, but in Inari Kon Kon at least two things stand out.

One is that rather than having everyone speak standard Japanese, stereotypical geisha jargon or a generic Kansai (i.e. Osakan) brogue, the anime preserves the manga's authentic Kyoto dialect and the VAs playing human characters apparently went to great lengths to make it sound exactly right. While I'm not mad that KyoAni didn't do the same when adapting Sound! Euphonium, since otherwise we probably wouldn't get Tomoyo Kurosawa's outstanding performance, I felt the standard Japanese subtracted a bit from the sense of place that the original novel had. [Edit: Wait, what am I saying? Kurosawa's character spoke standard Japanese even in the original novel. Okay then, KyoAni has no excuse Smile]

The other aspect is that, unlike most works set in Kyoto Inari Kon Kon's religious and mythological aspects are almost entirely Shinto rather than Buddhist. In a way this actually makes the show more generic, since Shinto is the default mythology in the vast majority of anime series that aren't set in Kyoto. Still, Kyoto's Shinto heritage in the shape of the Fushimi Inari shrine is also worth celebrating. That was probably my favourite shrine out of those I've visited in Japan, and the only one that I would really love to visit again. And yes, that shrine is still doing the tie-in with the anime, although now the posters and cutouts are only in the gift shop section.

Oh and also, it was a bit refreshing to see an anime mother who isn't taller than her teenage children for once Smile

Last edited by vonPeterhof on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. It was the whole Uka/Touma bit that was what I kept reading/watching for. Was a bit annoyed by the anime ending too.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow didn't expect those grades. I highly enjoyed this series as a shoujo fan. I felt like it went back to shoujo roots. It was a really fun watch. I wish it ended better though. I agree that that the Uka/Touma relationship kept me really invested.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

The reviewer did. There is no "Overall (dub)" score given, only "Overall (sub)".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I agree that this was "mostly harmless." :) The main thing that stood out to me was how appealing the character designs were, and this kind of baffles me. At first glance, they're pretty off-the-shelf ordinary, but as I watched the series, I realized that just looking at the characters made me feel warm and happy. I can't put my finger on what it is they were doing differently to give me such a moe reaction, but it certainly kept me watching and left me with more positive feelings than the show itself really earned. ::scratches head::
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

The reviewer did. There is no "Overall (dub)" score given, only "Overall (sub)".

But that is not clear enough. I expect the information of no dub to be in the review text or in the minuses.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
#837783 wrote:
Interesting. It was the whole Uka/Touma bit that was what I kept reading/watching for. Was a bit annoyed by the anime ending too.

Agreed. I really enjoyed this series, so it saddens me to see it get such low scores. But, Uka and Touma was what I was mostly tuning in for.

So much so that I'd buy the manga...if it were available to me in print.
NormanS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Interesting observation about the music, the original soundtrack by Takeshi Senoo for the series is quite beautiful, with nice orchestral music with a blend of japanese/western influences and other styles but mainly very Aria the animation, but i dont recall much of those tracks on the disc in the series. Wonder if the sound editor couldnt find a good moment to place those tracks? Though i understand it, since these tracks are very Ghibli-inspired and feel to them, there arent many moments in the series for those.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
Nick, you should check out Kamichu! to see this theme of accidental godhood done right.
kh_gal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm utterly shocked at the low scores for such a sweet and meaningful show. Watching it is like drinking a warm cup of tea; you feel bubbly afterwards. The characters are cute and the interactions were the best part of the show. I enjoyed it as being a simple slice of life. As many others have stated, had there been more of a budget to delve into the source material (hence the crappy anime ending--the manga is way better) it would have been better. But it was great for what it was.

What baffles me even more is that fanservice shows get B scores here and a show as pure and simple as this with messages about appreciating family and friends gets crapped on.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I would given it a C- score myself, too...shrug worthy, but the Yuri subplot dragged it kicking and screaming to a B-.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1