• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 14-Year-Old Manga Artist Wins Shogakukan's Newcomer Artist Award

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I think such success works at such a young age for shoujo manga because shoujo anthologies like Nakayoshi and Ciao only prints twelve issues per year, not the 46+ issues per year you get from the most popular shounen anthologies. As such, the production schedule (in my opinion) has relatively low impact on schooling of such young creators.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Yuki Kure (mangaka for La Corda d'Oro) count as well? She wrote the manga when she was about 14-ish back in the day, I think.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Very impressive, makes me wish I was drawing while I was young, not that can't still. But yeah, hope she keeps it up!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Whoa, that's pretty neat. I knew some classmates who could draw really well when I was 14 (and so were they), and as someone who has been practicing drawing ever since I was 5 years old, I couldn't help but feel jealous of them because I was nowhere near their level. I considered myself above average, but I couldn't draw anything professional-quality like that!

But then I gave it some thought: In nearly every case of a child prodigy like this, the parents already have some level of experience with what the kid is good at and will encourage them to get better, getting them whatever they want or need in order to improve and a ton of advice; or at least, the parents will admire them from afar and get them specific things the kids ask for.

Because my parents actively and constantly discouraged me from drawing and desperately tried tostop me from ever draw again, I had to do it in secret using normal school supplies. (My father was particularly upset when I won an art contest in Disney Adventures magazine, especially as the letter they sent to me to congratulate me ended with "Keep drawing!") And so now, that is what I've become jealous of: Kids who could achieve great things in life because their parents aren't trying to stop them at every corner.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
I like the kid's art style. The face and eyes really make me think of Meca Tanaka's Meteor Prince.
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
Silver4000 wrote:
That's uncalled for. -Galap

what the **** is the matter with you?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
Congrats. Good luck to balancing school (if she's still in it). With this, I don't know how Japanese child labor laws work, so her getting this series serialized might be very sporadic.
Aoi_Nagase

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
[T]hat is what I've become jealous of: Kids who could achieve great things in life because their parents aren't trying to stop them at every corner.

I agree with you. I don't want to be mean, but it annoys me to see parents who forces their child to learn and improve on things they never, never really want to do (like overtaking their business) for the sake of keeping good face in public. I have a friend who decided to go to college to become a game designer, and his parents didn't object his decision; in fact, they supported him greatly.

That's why for a 14-year-old girl to win Newcomer Artist Award without any of her parents' objections is a nice thing to hear (her winning the award is pretty neat, too). Who knows, maybe her manga might end quickly (let's hope it won't), but being a mangaka, she gotta have to have ideas in writing a story, so her career will not end as soon as the manga ends, as well.

It's going to be pretty interesting to see how she will balance her manga drawing and studying for high school entrance exam (if she decided to enroll, that is). Also, I wonder if her friends know she's a mangaka. You know, in Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, spoiler[Nozaki's fellow female mangaka, Yukari Miyako, is a college student and mangaka who uses her real name in her mangas, but none of her friends knows her job.]
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
That sucks , leafyseadragon. I don't know what it is about American culture where the art world is not taken as seriously as other countries.
Also in Japan at most stationary stores you can find everything you need to draw professional manga, including screen tone. So yeah it is a lot more convenient.
But at the same time, two of the greatest manga artists, Tezuka and Shigaru Mizuki where greatly discouraged from becoming comic artists. As I remember Tezuka was beaten for drawing and his pages often thrown away. Mizuki (may he rest in peace) lost his dominant hand and had to learn to draw with his other one. And this was before manga was taken as seriously in Japan.
Also, you may have heard of the manga-ka Cocoa Fujiwara. Although she debuted when she was 15 and skipped high school to create a hit manga, it seems that she was not very happy with her life and recently comitted suicide. Sad
So I congratulate this new, very talented artist and hope her a lot of success and best of luck in the future, and will try not to be too jealous.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
It's actually because my parents come from a country (Thailand) where, at the time they grew up, their art and entertainment world were total wrecks, both financially and creatively. It's different now, and underground art scenes have popped up, but during those decades, artists and entertainers were associated with rejects and failures of society. (In addition, one of my great-grandparents was apparently a starving artist for his entire life who became a drunkard.) Japan is rather different in this regard; while art-related fields of work also mostly don't pay very well, there is a level of prestige and respect artists in Japan have that simply does not exist in Thailand, or at least to the same level.

I've definitely heard about Osamu Tezuka being discouraged from drawing, though I didn't know about Shigaru Mizuki. Certainly though, the late Satoru Iwata grew up wanting to make video games, but his parents would have none of it. They were still mad at him for joining the game industry even when he became a billionaire running Nintendo because it was not the career path they wanted him to take. Iwata and his parents remained on non-speaking terms for the rest of his life. If you take a look at his Iwata Asks columns, he spoke a great deal about himself, but he never once spoke about his parents or his upbringing. People like them give me hope that I can still do what I want to do in the face of parental resistance and have some success.

Part of what frustrates me is that there are a lot of people who don't really understand that such a parental approach exists. I think most parents will support whatever their kids are passioned by (as long as it's not something criminal), so they have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea that some parents might do otherwise.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to her, and I'm also glad her mother is encouraging her. Nana Haruta talked about her high school graduation in a sidebar of Cactus' Secret, so it seems possible to manage school and a manga career. I would think it's a lot easier when you work for a monthly magazine than for a weekly. (Bakuman...)
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Fascinating. It's always best to start art young. She's certainly a good draughtswoman.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Congrats. Good luck to balancing school (if she's still in it). With this, I don't know how Japanese child labor laws work, so her getting this series serialized might be very sporadic.

Japanese labor laws allow for the minimum age to start working and earning wages to be 15, but you have to have graduated from middle school which is the minimum education level required. Since she is in her third year of middle school and is scheduled to graduate in March 2016, she may be finding herself negotiating to sign with the company soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:

Also, you may have heard of the manga-ka Cocoa Fujiwara. Although she debuted when she was 15 and skipped high school to create a hit manga, it seems that she was not very happy with her life and recently comitted suicide. Sad

ANN and Wikipedia said that she passed away because of an illness and not because of suicide.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Nana Haruta talked about her high school graduation in a sidebar of Cactus' Secret, so it seems possible to manage school and a manga career.

*Flips through manga* Wow, you're right. I totally forgot about that!

Wooga wrote:
Also, you may have heard of the manga-ka Cocoa Fujiwara. Although she debuted when she was 15 and skipped high school to create a hit manga, it seems that she was not very happy with her life and recently comitted suicide.

Shocked That's news to me. I knew of her passing, but I never saw anywhere that mentioned how it happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2