• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Actors Interested in Japanese Pop Culture

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaosTheory

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Such an awful movie, it's certainly not Star Wars.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Awww. I enjoyed it very much.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Kinda a formality, schmooze up with the locals by praising their wonderful unique culture and get on the plane to the next wonderful unique culture with a note card of things to say. Vastly skeptical.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
ChaosTheory wrote:

Not awful just dull far to close to a re-tread of a new hope to be anything more than okay.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
JJ sure does love those Asians. Go Asians!
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
- Ghlibli worship
- Japanese version is "obviously" better
- "I love an underdog story"

Ehhhh can we not. That's obnoxious.
I'm not saying they can't actually feel that way, but if it's from Ghlibli or Shonen Jump... everyone knows those things. And it's actually really damaging when people think that's all there is to anime.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
HEY! we're not here to talk about the star wars movie. We're here to talk about the actors and JJ Abrams, who directed Final..... fantasy VII?
Quote:
Finally, Episode VII's director, J.J. Abrams

Oh nevermind.
Anyway, Studio Ghibli and Naruto wow wow slow down, real big japanese fans over here. I mean, I've never even heard of a naruto before let alone seen whatever this Ghibli makes.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The thing i was least expecting in this article too see is more dub bashing (well.... not as extreme as bashing but still...) *sigh*

Also.... an AKB48 idol in Star Trek was considered? *shudders*
Gehirn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Haha you elitists on here. Reread the title "actors interested in Japanese pop culture", they are not obsessed like some people are on here about anime.
Let's apply this concept to movies, people can really like movies but that doesn't mean they view all the indie/arthouse movies too.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
LOL If I became a celebrity, anime fans would get a nice surprise when I gush about Utena, Bubblegum Crisis, Ranma, Black Lagoon, Durarara, and Slayers. Razz

Also, I don't see Daisy's comment as dub bashing. She probably thinks the dub of Only Yesterday will be fantastic, but just still not quite as good as the Japanese version. If anything, she's just being modest.
Octonian
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Although it's completely impossible, I'm now wondering what Mr. Abrams would do with a big-budget live action AKB0048.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
ChaosTheory wrote:

I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will, but I did see Abram's take on Star Trek and found it to be definitely not Star Trek. Would you say he did the same thing with Star Wars? Personally having both Disney and Abrams attached to the movie, in addition to just being a casual fan of Star Wars to begin with, didn't spark a huge anticipation like other people were for the movie. I wonder if Disney will ever do a Star Wars/MCU crossover of some kind.

lavmintrose wrote:
I'm not saying they can't actually feel that way, but if it's from Ghlibli or Shonen Jump... everyone knows those things. And it's actually really damaging when people think that's all there is to anime.
It does seem pretty standard to namedrop a Ghibli, Pokemon/Sailor Moon, or Shonen Jump property if you say you like anime. I'm personally waiting for an actor to say how they like something unexpected like Queens Blade or Pretty Cure just for hilarity's sake. Though maybe it's all just careful PR by their agent and their agent tells them what to namedrop. You never know whats real or fake in Hollywood

-Stuart Smith
Gehirn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Would you say he did the same thing with Star Wars?

It's definitely Star Wars.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Sadly it's the film out of all of them that's least like Star Wars but it's still a 10/10 for me and still Star Wars for sure. I notice I enjoy it far less when I think about the previous films (unavoidable I know). But overall could make it in my top 25 movies.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it WAS Star Wars! It was more Star Wars than the prequels to me. And yes, being a Gen Xer (you know, the generation that preceded the Millennials that everybody forgets about) I should know because I saw the originals 4,5, and 6 when they first came out back in the day. (The late 70's, early 80's)

Yes, I understand they feel like a retread and I think that in some ways it's true, in other ways not. It is a franchise after all, like Star Trek, so they probably don't want to stray too far from the formula, at least not yet. So I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3