• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skip Beat!'s English Dub Kickstarter Campaign Casts Richard Epcar as Lory Takarada

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Well it looks like Skip Beat! will hopefully make reach its goal. I was on it' KickStarter page, and I noticed that there is a stretch goal of 185k to get the series on BD. Does it really cost 30,000 more to use the bluray format? Just curious if anyone knows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
In Skip Beat's case no official HD release was ever done. The show was released DVD only in Japan and in France. So there's a much greater cost than normal for this case I believe. Also in general the disc authoring/replication for BD is quite a bit higher per disc than DVD.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Freakin' love Epcar! :D
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
In Skip Beat's case no official HD release was ever done. The show was released DVD only in Japan and in France

Ah thanks, I didn't realize that. I knew that BDs cost more to author but I figured it had to be more than just that to warrant the 30k extra.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pied Piper acquired the license from TV Tokyo, and TV Tokyo is requiring the English dub as a condition of release.

Someone please tell Japan that American voice actors are not as good as Japanese voice actors... Sometimes it's better not to have a dub.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Batou and Raiden in the dub?awesome!
azhanei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Well it looks like Skip Beat! will hopefully make reach its goal. I was on it' KickStarter page, and I noticed that there is a stretch goal of 185k to get the series on BD. Does it really cost 30,000 more to use the bluray format? Just curious if anyone knows.

From the Ann Yamamota/Pied Piper Inc via the Kickstarter's page:
"Since the dub is non-negotiable, I've brought down the initial funding target [to $155,000] by making the Blu-ray a stretch goal. That removes about 14% of the localization costs from the chart below. I have also taken on the licensing and material fees, which cuts another 15% from the costs."

The chart reads:

The original funding goal on Indiegogo -- which included Blu-ray and materials and licensing cost -- was $210,000.

You can see what one authoring service offers in terms of pricing here. It matches up when you considering the large quantities for a retail order. By Pied Piper's chart and numbers, the 14% removed which would cover localizing Blu-ray is $29,400.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Someone please tell Japan that American voice actors are not as good as Japanese voice actors... Sometimes it's better not to have a dub.

In what universe is having more choices in how to watch a show a bad thing?
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
azhanei wrote:
**great info (that I should have found myself)**

Thanks for the info, especially the link to the pricing for authoring. I guess I didn't realize how much more BD's cost to make. Also I remember seeing/reading the graph on the kickstarter page back when I first made a pledge (towards the beginning), I guess I just didn't remember. Embarassed
azhanei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

It's a proven fact that a dub for an animated release reaches a wider audience. That's why Japanese companies (or any country's companies for that matter) try to sell a dub as part of the rights package if they think they can. TV Tokyo believes Skip Beat is a title that deserves that opportunity. That shows a high level of faith that this show can overcome the traditional barriers most shoujo anime faces.

I've heard bad dubs. I've heard bad Japanese voice acting. Neither side is immune. Both sides also produce amazingly well-done works. Luckily for those who prefer hearing the Japanese audio, this Kickstarter will also give you the only chance you have to get it on US/Canadian home video.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Quote:
Pied Piper acquired the license from TV Tokyo, and TV Tokyo is requiring the English dub as a condition of release.

Emphasis on "sometimes". As evidenced by countless shows like Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Black Lagoon, and (personally) Attack on Titan, dubs can be superlative to their original source. Apparently TV Tokyo has faith in this one, so why not? Time will tell if this gets a good dub, and Pied Piper's Time of Eve dub was great.

Anyway, nice to see Epcar. Don't know much of his work, but from what I've heard he's pretty good.
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine is baiting people for a flame war. Watch out if you don't want to be in a soapbox battle.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Cool, Epcar is a great classic voice actor Cool

Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

You don't seem to understand that they're a business. Their view if the Japanese voices are better or not is irrelevant. Its about the consumers and a large amount buy American releases for the English dub.
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
The casting so far has been great. Richard Epcar is a perfect fit for Lory Takarada. I'm really excited about the reveal for the voice actor for Maria Takarada. I think it will be Mela Lee or Stephanie Sheh. Either one would be great but you never know they might surprise me.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:

Dear god, this isn't the early days of anime dubbing anymore. If an anime is released with only subs, it sells a lot less; it's a fact.

I'd imagine it really depends on the type of title and the audience. OniAi was sub only and was sold out for a while due to gross underestimation of probable sales. Either way I don't care for dubs but more power to them if a company wants to include them. My main worry is the extra financial burden a dub puts on a US licensing company. If they recoup their costs and profit on it then I'm all for a dub but I don't want another implosion like the one that tanked ADV / Geneon / Bandai Entertainment that was caused by gross overspending and out of control costs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2