• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: KonoSuba – God's blessing on this wonderful world!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
I would argue that C+ is a bit unfair, if you include the comedic elements of the story in the rating process (this show had a hilarious execution overall, with more hits than misses).

Actually, I would give it a B+ with that in mind. Mind that most of the "overused" in-jokes adds to what makes the show even more enjoyable (like something I would expect from Rumiko Takahashi with Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura, a "correct formulaic (by times repetitive, but never boring) usage of the chemistry between the cast").

A bonus point for one of the most comical and miserable deaths for an important character I've ever seen in a work of fiction so far, in episode 1 lol

Last edited by danpmss on Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and he's rarely “punished” for his actions in a such a way that you can tell the show doesn't agree with him.

What? Did we watch the same show? Kazume is pretty consistently punished for all of his action, heck he probably has the most embarrassing death of any anime character. The show is fully aware that Satoru is just as broken as all the other character, he does serves as the straight man, but he's also the butt of many joke. The panty joke are pretty weak at first, but the show sell them by making more out of them,spoiler[ like Satoru acting like it's genuinely a great reward rather than the usual clueless embarrassment lead would get and an amazingly well animated and totally safe for work suggestive hand animation.]

Anyway, it was one of the best show this season, by leaps and bounds really. I guess it's true that the story is weak, but that's cause it's a comedy show, it's like giving K-ON a C in story because nothing really happens.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
The only thing I disagree with (which ends up being a big part) is how unlikable Kazuma is. I don't think he's good, but I don't think he's bad either. So I ended up enjoying his skits/humor more often than not.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
The show really is dragged by cliche LN jokes. I feel that Konosuba never needed them to be funny, because most of the characters' quirks (with the exception of Darkness) were outright hilarious, especally Aqua, who is the heart of the show, and Megumin, who became more and more likeable and amazing as the episodes passed.

I actually didin't have so much problems with Kazuma. I really liked his snarky attitude, but I agree that sometimes he was an asshole, especially after he spoiler[revived again after being beheaded by that snow monster.] He by the end of the season seemed to actually like being around the girls, so his annoying attitude was very unfair.

I aslo think the background music was very effective, especially during "serious" moments. I think it gave the show more weight as a parody with such ridiculous tunes.

Anyway, I really liked Konosuba. It was not the best, but it was anyway the one the I really looked forward each week. So yeah, I'm eager to see the OVA and the second season.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
Kinda interesting that Kazuma is a negative point here while for most people (including me) he is one of the reasons why this show is good.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
I really don't think the show could have worked without Kazuma,he is the straight man of the show and a much needed part of it.Yes he is unlikable and that's the point,like Aqua they're both mean characters and that's the charm of them.Also most of the time I just felt sorry for the guy and what he has to go through
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
What? Did we watch the same show? Kazume is pretty consistently punished for all of his action, heck he probably has the most embarrassing death of any anime character. The show is fully aware that Satoru is just as broken as all the other character, he does serves as the straight man, but he's also the butt of many joke.

He is - I thought karma loved to mess with him just as much as everyone else in the cast. Also, though the show only subtly brings it up, he's not progressing in levels nearly as fast as the rest of the party either. Because even though it's his strategies and quick thinking that are getting them through these big boss battles, it's always his companions who are delivering the killing blows and collecting most of the experience points for it. Which is another situation most of us in the working world are very familiar with - doing most of the heavy lifting on a project and watching someone else get most of the credit for it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
TheRahi00 wrote:
Kinda interesting that Kazuma is a negative point here while for most people (including me) he is one of the reasons why this show is good.

I am also in agreement with the sentiment that it is circumstantially better that Kazuma is taken as the blatant jerk that he is.

This is much better than say "indistinguishable light novel protagonist", if you have been watching anime adaptations for the past few years now you have a pretty good idea WHO that describes because they all are male and have an intentionally nulled personality so the reader could self insert themselves into the situation much more easily.

Back to Kazuma, yes he is far from a model citizen, he continues to be every bit of an anchor in the process toward assembling against the so called Demon King as any of his strange companions, but just as well he is relatable in some ways as a character.
At the very least Kazuma usually isn't intentionally mean spirited, he just is clumsy at social interactions which makes sense as his initial presentation is that of an anti-social teen.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show overall, but I do kinda feel like maybe there's just not enough material on display. No one really gets any notable development because the show is too busy running story gags. A little bit of meat on the bones might have made this a much stronger show.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
let's agree for a moment that kazuma is unlikable, just to get that out of the way; should something get a worse review because characters are unlikable ? I guess macbeth is a pile then, considering how unlikable the main character is.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
let's agree for a moment that kazuma is unlikable, just to get that out of the way; should something get a worse review because characters are unlikable ? I guess macbeth is a pile then, considering how unlikable the main character is.

Depends on the story. Nick's made it clear (to me at least) that it wasn't just because he's unlikable, but also that the show often "took his side" or justified his actions, in his view. In a case like that, it affects the show a lot.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
I agree with Kazuma being a weakness of a show. A lot of the humour involving him revolves less around making observational jokes about the setting & more around him making the same snarky comments about his three companions. Meanwhile they just repeatedly switch between riding his back & his cock, most notably Aqua flipping between "you suck, Kazuma" & "you're so dependable, Kazuma" at the drop of a hat.

As for making him the but of jokes, not really. At least not in ways that make it stand out from any other fantasy anime. Sure he might not be "progressing" as fast as the others, not that you really see that since Aqua in particular goes from useless to calling floods from the sky without any sense of progression. The story just seems to remember she's a goddess when it needs to get them out of a pinch. Kazuma, meanwhile, gets the usual praise from everyone & always seems to do the best out of a situation, like how he somehow raises the most money from that "this jokes won't get old" cabbage migration thing, conveniently off camera so we can focus on Aqua derping around & Darkness being kinky (because a tank that likes to take it is so funny I can't believe it was never done before so lets do it in every scene she's in)

I'm not sure it's all that correct to call it a video game comedy, really. Like a few other light novels (blue ribbon tits girl from last year, for example) it seemed less about being trapped in a video game & more taking the exhausted fantasy adventure structure & adding some game references & nods to mechanics here & there. After all, he's not trapped in a video game, he's reincarnated in an alternate medieval fantasy world where you have a piece of paper which monitors your stats, like how ribbon tits anime guy had that tattoo.

Also thought the 10 episode runtime meant they cut two episodes out of the second half that left it feeling messy. Wiz was clearly supposed to have an introductory episode that got trimmed down to a one minute flashback, & then the final episode was clearly supposed to have something happen prior that would explain why Megumin has a brief loss of confidence fighting the Wild Wild West spider because Wiz is more powerful than her, or something. In fact anything to do with Wiz seems to have been trimmed to the point she might as well not have been included at all.
Black Magi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Kazuma was really the only reason why i made it to episode 8 before dropping it. Literally was the best part of the show. Would have dropped it within the first 10 min of episode 1 because of aqua
Black Magi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like to point out, at least for me, kazuma was the only reason why aqua, darkness, and megumi were funny, even at times when their antics go repetitive due to kazuma's reactions. Without him, the uh our wouldn't have nearly been as good.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Eh. Different strokes for different folks. Cool

The term mean-spirited has been used on several occasions in regard to the show, and it is not without merit. We can love or hate that aspect, but I find that singling Kazuma out might be rash. He's the straight man. Being outraged by the outrageous usually comes with the territory.

Let's not forget that it was Aqua that first causes Kazuma to adopt this uncaring attitude towards her strife when introducing herself by mocking his death and looking down on him. After that, she tends to try and swindle money out of him on a routine basis.

For better or worse, these are the foundations of their relationship. The comedy is that Aqua is used to being babied due to her status as a goddess and Kazuma knows better than to coddle her.

We may not take kindly to his actions, but he is not unjustifiable in his relationship to Aqua. We can love or hate that, but it makes sense within the realm of the story.

(Besides, the show makes a note on several occasions that Aqua's wailings at Kazuma's mistreatment of her is mostly for show. She isn't bothered in the slightest.)

That being said, the show puts him in a difficult position to be judged because of the character of Darkness. She thrives on masochism, and the show places Kazuma in the role of her prime sadist so that there are pay offs to her jokes.

In that regard, Kazuma's character becomes the victim of Darkness's punchlines. He has to be cruel (unintentionally or not) so that Darkness can get off on it. This causes the audience at home to distinguish between Kazuma as a character and Kazuma as the punchline to a joke. He becomes a victim of the show's material.

Personally, I see no reason to feel sorry for these characters. More often than not, they are getting what has been coming to them. The show lets them take their licks however which way is seen fit. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4