• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nostalgic Fans Recall When Taking Care of a Tamagotchi Wasn't So Easy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
And now you can create whole family trees with this one.

I still have my old Tamagotchi, and man o' man that was pain.

I'm almost compelled to get one. I wonder if it has a pause button.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I never own Bandai's Tamagotchi so I dont know how the gameplay was.
But I do play virtual pet, it was a penguin and also bunch of unknown monsters. Playing on it was really fun.

But I more on Bandai's virtual pet Digital Monsters(Digimon). This thing is very popular in late '97 till '02. The virtual pet concept from Tamagotchi is still there but with battle function.
Now hoping for 20th Anniversary version since 2017 mark the year.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I had one back when they first came out. The fun dropped off quite a bit when it started feeling like it was rigged for failure.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The ones I always wanted but sadly never got were the D2 Digivices. Those were all the rage when I was in middle school, but I couldn't buy one. Kinda glad this trend didn't just die off.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
*le sigh* I remember I had a ton of the different virtual pets back in elementary school, including the digimon ones. And now, all of them are gone except for the male and female nano puppies ones I managed to somehow not lose. I miss my virtual pets! They were so much fun! Anime cry
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember similar problems with Digimon's D-3 Digivice toy. It was pedometer that you were, in theory, supposed to carry with you on the day to day so as to lower your walk count and get to the end of an area, but everyone knows that kids just sat in their rooms and shook them violently. I would go to school and then come home to find that the amount steps I had to "walk" had increased because it would go off throughout the day with no one to battle enemy Digimon; not as traumatic as dying but very annoying. What a pain. I can't remember if there was an off/pause feature on those, though. I believe the D-Arks/D-Powers did have one.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Arguably, this added a sense of realism to the game. Most living creatures do need quite a bit of attention of care, of course. Despite this, English releases of the games have altered the death sequences in the past.

I recall reading the English manual of the original device with all the enthusiasm one would expect of a child without internet access. In an act of utterly transparent bowdlerisation, it described the creatures as returning to their home planet rather than leaving this mortal coil as the in-game graphics suggested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I remember playing with my Tamagotchi at times it made me so mad that I threw it out of the window only to go get it back and start over again ahh good times. Rolling Eyes
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
I have the Japanese Digivice that was used as the model for the D-Arks in Tamers, and I still go back to it now. I've replaced the batteries at least twice a year since I dug it up in 2009, even making my own makeshift easy-to-open battery compartment because I was sick of almost breaking it every time it died on me. There must've been a separate chip for memory, though, because my Digimon from initial startup is still alive...

Yet I still can't work out the Digimon World games.
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
Never had a Tamagotchi, but I did have a Giga Pet.

Those were nice because they were designed to sleep during the night. I figured out how to change the clock, and would have it sleep while I was at school. Managed to get it to live to old age. I was so happy, Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1