• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Extreme VS-Force PS Vita Game's Western Release Will Be Digital-Only

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
AGGGGGHHHHHH! digital only FFS

come on Vita memory cards are expensive, what's wrong with a physical release
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
AGGGGGHHHHHH! digital only FFS

come on Vita memory cards are expensive, what's wrong with a physical release
This is the first non-Dynasty Warrior's Gundam game that we've gotten since Crossfire in 2006(Which isn't nearly as bad as people said it was. I've played it countless times over.). While Sunrise may be making a big push in the US anime market again by having RightStuf release all the Gundam series, Bandai Namco is probably not willing to take the same risk with the video games. Force is merely them throwing us a bone after all these years.

Personally speaking, I would have preferred Full Boost or a console version of Maxi Boost over Force. My fear is that Force will sell like shit and Bandai Namco will use that as an excuse to not release any more games in the US for a second time. The Vita is essentially dead in the water and many people have probably sold theirs. I have a Vita TV, but only for Persona 4 Golden and Danganronpa(Which are now on PC so that point no longer holds weight.). Force's exposure is so little a lot of people probably have no idea it's coming West.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Personally speaking, I would have preferred Full Boost or a console version of Maxi Boost over Force. My fear is that Force will sell like shit and Bandai Namco will use that as an excuse to not release any more games in the US for a second time. The Vita is essentially dead in the water and many people have probably sold theirs. I have a Vita TV, but only for Persona 4 Golden and Danganronpa(Which are now on PC so that point no longer holds weight.). Force's exposure is so little a lot of people probably have no idea it's coming West.

It probably will sell like shit. It didn't even sell half of what the previous worst selling vs series game sold in Japan. Days after release in Japan, you could find places selling it for half off. And this release trailer? It didn't show off what the game was about at all... And its a low key digital only release on a nearly dead console to boot. A lot of the people interested in it that followed the JP trailers actually showcasing the game probably picked up a disc version (even in English if they wanted) months ago. The sad thing is that even though it is substantially worse than any other EXVS game, as far as gundam games go, it is pretty decent. I'd say better than the Gundam Musou games which are the only other gundam games that came out here.

Nyren wrote:
This is the first non-Dynasty Warrior's Gundam game that we've gotten since Crossfire in 2006(Which isn't nearly as bad as people said it was. I've played it countless times over.).

I wonder if you could still say that it isn't garbage after you've played Gundam Senki. Crossfire isn't literally the worst game ever, but it is quite bad. If you're craving a gundam game fix that isn't DW or PS2 era, it just happens to be your only English option.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Nyren wrote:

It probably will sell like shit. It didn't even sell half of what the previous worst selling vs series game sold in Japan. Days after release in Japan, you could find places selling it for half off. And this release trailer? It didn't show off what the game was about at all... And its a low key digital only release on a nearly dead console to boot. A lot of the people interested in it that followed the JP trailers actually showcasing the game probably picked up a disc version (even in English if they wanted) months ago. The sad thing is that even though it is substantially worse than any other EXVS game, as far as gundam games go, it is pretty decent. I'd say better than the Gundam Musou games which are the only other gundam games that came out here.

Nyren wrote:
This is the first non-Dynasty Warrior's Gundam game that we've gotten since Crossfire in 2006(Which isn't nearly as bad as people said it was. I've played it countless times over.).

I wonder if you could still say that it isn't garbage after you've played Gundam Senki. Crossfire isn't literally the worst game ever, but it is quite bad. If you're craving a gundam game fix that isn't DW or PS2 era, it just happens to be your only English option.
I imported the Battlefield Record 0081. I liked it more than Crossfire, but since everything was in Japanese I had no idea what was going on, what my objectives were, etc. My favorite Gundam games are Zeonic Front(Which I heard they butchered beyond all belief for that MS Side Stories collection.), Battle Assault 2, and Extreme vs. Full Boost.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I imported the Battlefield Record 0081. I liked it more than Crossfire, but since everything was in Japanese I had no idea what was going on, what my objectives were, etc. My favorite Gundam games are Zeonic Front(Which I heard they butchered beyond all belief for that MS Side Stories collection.), Battle Assault 2, and Extreme vs. Full Boost.

Yeah, not the most import friendly game unless you know some Japanese (or maybe Chinese could get you by?).

You threw in some old school gundam games, but no mention of Encounters in Space? I thought that game was amazing back in the day. Even versus mode was tons of fun with friends... though we had a rule that someone at all times had to have a beam rifle because spamming beams was the only good way to find someone after they spawned with a new suit.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Nyren wrote:

Yeah, not the most import friendly game unless you know some Japanese (or maybe Chinese could get you by?).

You threw in some old school gundam games, but no mention of Encounters in Space? I thought that game was amazing back in the day. Even versus mode was tons of fun with friends... though we had a rule that someone at all times had to have a beam rifle because spamming beams was the only good way to find someone after they spawned with a new suit.
Me and my older brother used to play Federation vs. Zeon all the time. The old school games were amazing. I still have not beaten Battle Assault 2 to this day. Big Zam be damned.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
terrible roster.

can someone tell me why they didn't just port the ps3 game and build on that?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:15 am Reply with quote
And this is why I don't support gundam in the West. Had to import Shin Gundam Musou, and now have to import this - all because of the digital only treatment.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

And this is why I don't support gundam in the West. Had to import Shin Gundam Musou, and now have to import this - all because of the digital only treatment.

A vicious circle - Vita is dying in the West, so they release digital if any release at all, so less people support it in the West, which accelerates Vita dying in the West
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
A vicious circle - Vita is dying in the West, so they release digital if any release at all, so less people support it in the West, which accelerates Vita dying in the West

But in the end it doesn't really matter. Sony was kind enough to make all of their stuff region free. And if that wasn't enough, Bamco has recently been releasing physical English versions you can import.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

But in the end it doesn't really matter. Sony was kind enough to make all of their stuff region free. And if that wasn't enough, Bamco has recently been releasing physical English versions you can import.

Guess it's the same with XB1 users in Japan could hang on to that region-free feature.
And for both soon, importing may be the only way to purchase the systems at those respective places (not long after killing the PSTV, there's rumors the PS Vita is being phased out in N. America as well).

But there will always be digital. In fact, Sony is more aggressive about promoting digital, while Microsoft leads across the major retailers for retail promotion:

So, Sony is looking ahead to digital releases, which is exactly where PS Vita is headed.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't know that your graphs tell that great of a picture. Sony is spending more on digital advertising, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're shifting to digital. Sony isn't having problems moving product in retail stores so they just wouldn't need to spend as much there. Microsoft on the other hand is struggling there so they will have to more evenly split their advertising budget. You can't compare spending between the two and use that to determine the company's strategy because the two aren't in the same place currently.

On your last graph, I'm pretty sure that is counting indie games which are pretty much always digital only and have massively surged in numbers recently. Even for non indie games, Sony doesn't really get a say in whether or not there is a physical release. A company like Bamco is going to release a physical version if they think it is worth it. It goes the other way around as well. Publishers are going to want a digital version as well if they think there is a profit in it. The only way Sony's stance is going to matter at all is if they're offering some kind of monetary incentive.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
terrible roster.

can someone tell me why they didn't just port the ps3 game and build on that?

Hardware capability. PS3 Blu Ray dics has game data over 20GB while Vita has less than 5GB, compressing data may not working too so they have to working it from scratch which later resulting small roster. In another word, they just cant make all available playable mobile suits from previous game into this one because of hardware limitation.

Forget about Vita, I prefer Steam release.
Knowing that Bandai-Namco releasing so many titles to West now and some of them on PC Steam, this is quite possible.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I don't know that your graphs tell that great of a picture. Sony is spending more on digital advertising, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're shifting to digital. Sony isn't having problems moving product in retail stores so they just wouldn't need to spend as much there. Microsoft on the other hand is struggling there so they will have to more evenly split their advertising budget. You can't compare spending between the two and use that to determine the company's strategy because the two aren't in the same place currently.

But that doesn't make sense if ya turn it around since Sony is not at all struggling with digital; yet they've not only increased their digital promotion but raised it more than four-fold. If anything, they didn't even need to spend that budget, let alone by that much. It's clear they're trying to push digital. Business-wise, digital makes sense - higher profit margins; there's no resale market to cannibalize sales; and it tighter ties the player to the system (e.g. it's not like ya can get some digital money back if ever ya decide to sell off, that's all sunk cost).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1