• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Could We Actually Land Gundam's Mobile Workers on the Moon?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't it make more sense to build a Gundam on earth first so that way you can work out all of the kinks before sending one to the moon hell NASA does it with all of there rovers and other equipment. Confused
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
How about actually getting back on the moon first?
amagee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:38 am Reply with quote
Silly scientists and their reasoning always have to ruin my prospects for impractical gigantic robots.

It is interesting though to see this guy discussing what would be one of the simplest of Gundam's designs. Better than starting with something overly fancy and extra impractical.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to build a Gundam on earth first so that way you can work out all of the kinks before sending one to the moon hell NASA does it with all of there rovers and other equipment. Confused

Actually no.
As least, not one at the same scale. The moon's lighter gravity (less than 1/5 the earth's) makes much larger and heavier bipedal robots more feasible. One that works well in the moon's gravity would not work at all on the Earth if it was the same scale/weight.
Of course the same caveats apply about why you'd want a bipedal robot in the first place.
The only good reasons are for interacting with humans and environments built for humans, which don't really apply on the moon.... yet anyway!
Oh, and because bipedal robots are cool Wink
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
Simple solution for getting an MS-01 type unit on to the moon would be to utilize similar methodologies that were used for the construction of the ISS.

The simplest is to bring components up one at a time over the course of several missions until such time that rocket technology is developed that either entire suits could go up in one large vehicle when the weight to cost ration is makes more economic sense.

Option two is to prefab manufacturing facilities piece meal and send each factory module up one at a time; once completed, then just build the units on the moon this way. Granted this may require additional earth-moon transport of raw materials to the moon factory.

While the logistics and cost-benefit annalists would have to work in favor of using mobile suits, I'm sure some enterprising young MIT grad will figure it out. Worse case scenario, some 6 year old today logging in a few million hours of minecraft will come up with something.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
The real question is why, other than whimsy or nostalgia, you would want to do such a thing. If you were actually building a settlement on the moon and needed general purpose construction and earth (moon?) movers you would design them for maximum efficiency in that environment. Of course, once a settlement on the moon was so well established as to have the resources and time, I can see building a Gundam for kicks and giggles.

From the viewpoint of those discussing this, the advantage of designing something to work on the moon is that no one will ask you to actually prove it would work.

Whether on earth, in space or on the moon, Gundams and other similar humanoid mecha are just as much fantasy as magical girls.
Merman-X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
i think they choose the wrong Mobile Worker, Laughing
Iron-Blooded Orphans' version of the Mobile Worker is the more believable concept, i mean those things are about the right size, as in the size of a car & could be possibly made even with today's tech,

the problem with Origin's Mobile Worker is that they are built by people already living in outer space in man made orbital islands that are space colonies thus no need the use of rockets trying to escape the earth's velocity & gravity while carrying heavy cargo, they can just chuck that thing through a hatch or deliver it by the already space use ships & carry it through zero gravity, building these things on earth is where they got it wrong,
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Kind of reminds me of that part in 20th Century Boys where the robotics professor is trying to explain to the Friend cult why building a bipedal giant robot wouldn't work well, because the movements would cause the driver to vomit (among other reasons).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
I want either Gundamesque Giant Robot or MechWarrioresque Giant Robot please make it happen before I die.

Hope the Kuratas vs. Megabot will help developpe technologie to make my previous dream come true.

I need my Giant Robot to defend earth against evil space armies.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to build a Gundam on earth first ..Confused
Actually no... One that works well in the moon's gravity would not work at all on the Earth if it was the same scale/weight. Of course the same caveats apply about why you'd want a bipedal robot in the first place...Oh, and because bipedal robots are cool Wink
Well said, but "cool" almost never translates to practical or is an opinion shared by someone who's supposed to make something like that work. As an R&D engineer with some mechanical background, "cool" are the DARPA robotics competitors and Boston Dynamics' robot "mule" and "dog" not some huge animated statue of a person (sometimes with ridiculous high heels and lion or other "faces" all over it) that even "Pacific Rim"'s writers correctly admitted would take a nuclear reactor just to move itself around.

I love JAXA's Hashimoto-san who answers the third of three basic questions any engineer needs to ask, #1 "is it possible", #2 "is there a need" and #3 "what resources ($$) are avaliable"? So for "Could We Actually Land Gundam's Mobile Workers on the Moon?", A: yes but the same could be said of transplanting the Eiffel Tower there too. #2 A: only if your "need" is for a huge mechanism to "stomp" around the landscape or strike dramatic poses, not enough power available to do much else, and besides two humans in suits could move >500lb. items on the moon without one. A space-qualified bulldozer would satisfy more of a need and would take much less effort and $$. @AkaRed, the Kurata-Megabot fight needs to happen because it'd be epic entertainment and besides, people would pay $$ to see that!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
@AkaRed, the Kurata-Megabot fight needs to happen because it'd be epic entertainment and besides, people would pay $$ to see that!

Wait a minute, that gives me an idea.... I mean, watching robots fighting on the Earth is cool and all, but all this gravity really makes it hard to have the robots be sufficiantly cool.
Plus they can't be that destructive because of "collateral damage" and stuff like that.

So why don't we have our robot tournament battles..... ON THE MOON?!

Screw some colony. What good would that do? We should build a giant arena on the moon and our biggest industrial corporations can duke it out up there for the greatest show (not on) Earth!
I'd pay to watch that, for sure!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1