• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters TV Anime's Trailer, Theme Song Artists Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
As a diehard Digimon fan, I will give this show a shot, but this looks more like Yugioh to me and less like actual Digimon. So does everyone in this world have Digimon partners or something? I'm also curious about what they'll do with the English release of this. Will Crunchyroll stream this subbed like they did with Xros Wars and Tri? Or is this going to straight to American TV with a Saban dub? Also, what's going to happen with the dub of the last season of Xros Wars? Is Saban going to actually dub that or will they skip ahead to this new show?
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
this looks more like Yugioh to me and less like actual Digimon.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. The protag looks uncomfortably like Yuuya, the designated girl that hangs around the protag (let's be honest, every one of these series has one) looks uncomfortably like Yuzu, even the 11 year old looks like the shibireru kid in arc-v, and mr. serious-and-mysterious looks a lot like Shun. Even the Appli Drive sounds a lot like the concept of Solid Vision.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
To be fair, even though three of Universe's main cast look like Yuya, Yuzu and Kurosaki, YGO has also taken some inspiration of Digimon. Even back in Duel Monsters, the characters kept evolving their ace monsters. 5D's was basically Frontier, with Yusei and Jack getting all the awesome upgrades like Takuya and Kouji, while the rest got nothing.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:41 am Reply with quote
Whenever this gets a dub i will be willing to give it a try, it can't be any worse than Digimon Fusion and instead of yugioh i am getting Megaman NT Warrior vibes which is a good concept
peno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
Megaman NT Warrior, yeah, that's just about right. Virtual avatars, or monsters, inside an electronic device, or smartphone, solving problems in internet. Another anime that this reminds me is Net Ghost PiPoPa, though I wonder how big of an inspiration PiPoPa itself took from Digimon Wink Seems like these days, everyone is taking inspiration from each other Laughing
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Geez, why am I not feeling good about this? It really feels like this series is aping Yokai Watch or any of the other kid monster titles and doesn't really feel like the Digimon we all know and love. Also, when is the last quarter of Digimon Xros Wars going to be dubbed? I know that the last quarter of the series is widely hated by fans but come on, at least complete the series because it has the novelty of spoiler[seeing all of characters from the previous 5 seasons coming together.]

But still, despite how we lost a few significant people within the Digimon world this year, the show must go on and I really can't wait for the long awaited English dub of Digimon Adventure Tri finally coming out.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Geez, why am I not feeling good about this? It really feels like this series is aping Yokai Watch or any of the other kid monster titles and doesn't really feel like the Digimon we all know and love. Also, when is the last quarter of Digimon Xros Wars going to be dubbed? I know that the last quarter of the series is widely hated by fans but come on, at least complete the series because it has the novelty of spoiler[seeing all of characters from the previous 5 seasons coming together.]

But still, despite how we lost a few significant people within the Digimon world this year, the show must go on and I really can't wait for the long awaited English dub of Digimon Adventure Tri finally coming out.

I dont think they was able to get back all of the voice actors for the characters, so i think they are going to do like Yugioh GX and Yugioh 5ds just skip the final season and move on to the next show
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I'm also curious about what they'll do with the English release of this. Will Crunchyroll stream this subbed like they did with Xros Wars and Tri? Or is this going to straight to American TV with a Saban dub? Also, what's going to happen with the dub of the last season of Xros Wars? Is Saban going to actually dub that or will they skip ahead to this new show?

Those are really great questions! I've also been pretty curious about what's going to happen with the English release of Appli Monsters. Not sure if Saban Brands will let Crunchyroll stream the uncut Japanese version of Appli Monsters. They might be doing a strategic move of ditching streams of the uncut Japanese version in favor of producing an English dub that might go straight to Netflix (like they did with Glitter Force) instead of American TV. As for the last season of Xros Wars, I'm having a feeling that they will ditch that and move on to Appli Monsters instead.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I took the cancellation of Xros War's dub as a sign of Saban not having any interest in the franchise anymore. That might be just wishful thinking though.

-Stuart Smith
peno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
You might be right, Stuart, AFAIK, it wasn't confirmed yet that Saban will get this. Toei did dub for Data Squad itself and then sold it to Jetix and it seems like they are doing the same with Tri. Maybe Saban really doesn't have any interest in Digimon anymore, or it may also be that after how badly Saban treated both Digimon Xros Wars and Smile Precure, I wouldn't be surprised if Toei itself didn't want to have any other business with Saban anymore. So Toei may once again go through the whole dub it itself thing with Universe as well, or maybe they will license it to someone else (and I actually hope for one of those possibilities).

Besides, even if Saban eventually got this, do they have any say in internet streaming? I may be wrong, but I have feeling that streaming of Xros Wars on Crunchyroll was Toei's say, not Saban's.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This is the first Digimon series I'm going to follow as it airs in Japan (aside from Tri, anyway), so I'm hoping it'll be good.

Fingers crossed Crunchyroll simucasts the series. It would be nice to have legal subs.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

Even if the last season isn't as good, it frankly seems rather unprofessional of a dubbing company to just leave it completely unfinished. At least Crunchyroll has Xros Wars streaming subbed for us to watch. But back in my day when I was a kid, most studios that made Americanized dubs of kid's shows at least had the decency to finish what they started. This recent trend of dubs of kid's shows being unfinished is frankly a bit insulting to the fans.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Sorry man, but you have a short memory. What about all the series of Megaman NT Warrior that never got dub? Where's the dub for Zatch Bell's last 45 episodes? What about Case Closed being only dubbed to the half of fifth season? What about Funination cutting off their first Dragon Ball dub after only few episodes and moving over to its sequel? And DiC never dubbing the last series of Sailor Moon? And I rather not talk about skipped episodes of DBZ or One Piece during their first dubs. People seem to idealise their childhood, even though things weren't ideal.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately quite a few companies just dropped shows and never finished them. In addition to all the ones Peno listed, Yu-Gi-Oh GX and 5Ds were dropped before finishing as well. Tokyo Mew Mew and Ojamajo Doremi were dropped as well. And while Pokemon has most episodes dubbed, they skip some TV specials which tie into the main story. Sadly, these companies don't really see the shows as anything other than commercials for toys, so not dubbing them and leaving them all on cliffhangers is no big deal to them. They just want to move on to the next potential cashcow. Recently, Doraemon was dropped, Danball Senki was dropped, and I would put money on Yokai Watch suffering the same fate eventually.

-Stuart Smith
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was a unique example because of the controversial content in Sailor Stars and all the license issues at the time so I don't think it's fair to bring that up. It took a long time to get there but all of the Dragon Ball franchise did eventually get dubbed in English and missing episodes doesn't count as being the same as leaving a show unfinished. But you look at Robotech, Voltron, all the previous Digimon shows, Samurai Pizza Cats, the original Yugioh Duel Monsters, Shaman King, Kirby Right Back At Ya, Sonic X, Medabots, Mon Collie Knights, Monster Rancher, and Cardcaptors. And even though Kid's WB dropped it, even that last Astro Boy remake series at least had all the episodes dubbed at some point. So of course there were a handful of shows that got canceled due to bad ratings, but plenty more did get complete dubs. And besides the special situation with Sailor Moon, the vast majority of the most popular kid's shows didn't get canceled like all the newer Yugioh stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2