• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Castle Town Dandelion Anime's English Dub Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
A little over a year since the anime started showing. Is this a good turnaround?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:46 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
A little over a year since the anime started showing. Is this a good turnaround?

seeing how they can do an episode in a matter of weeks... plus the fact that showcasing a new dubbed episode a week would be the best kind of publicity these things could get, no.

They're going to stream two episodes early then dump the whole thing without fanfare after the disc releases. So if you don't know about it now, you won't know about it then.

2006 thinking in 2016 in other words.

Or are you referring to the span of time since the Japanese physical release/broadcast to the NA physical release? Does that standard even matter anymore?

I've changed my thinking ever since Funimation started its new physical distribution, going from buying 6+ new releases a year down to one kind of, really a half. Maybe I'm just a fox staring at some grapes but all their releases look a little sour these days.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Or are you referring to the span of time since the Japanese physical release/broadcast to the NA physical release? Does that standard even matter anymore?

It seems to matter to the Japanese rights holders, especially if the release is on Blu-ray.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

It seems to matter to the Japanese rights holders, especially if the release is on Blu-ray.

Especially since this is a TBS show. Usually the DVD releases are no problem, but they often insisted on fairly lengthy hold back periods for North American blurays. However, they do seem to have loosened up a bit over the past several months in this regard.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Actually, yes. For most home releases, it usually takes an average of about 12-16 months after the show stops airing in Japan for it to be released over here. That's not just Funimation, either; that time frame seems to be the usual for the vast majority of R1 distributors. Even Aniplex and PonyCan adhere to it most of the time, with a few notable exceptions now and then.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

As a collector of anime discs, that stuff definitely matters to me.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
So there are dubing I wonder if it was the effect of the Crunchyroll deal
JRPGNATION

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

seeing how they can do an episode in a matter of weeks... plus the fact that showcasing a new dubbed episode a week would be the best kind of publicity these things could get, no.

They're going to stream two episodes early then dump the whole thing without fanfare after the disc releases. So if you don't know about it now, you won't know about it then.

2006 thinking in 2016 in other words.

I've changed my thinking ever since Funimation started its new physical distribution, going from buying 6+ new releases a year down to one kind of, really a half. Maybe I'm just a fox staring at some grapes but all their releases look a little sour these days.

I not sure what you are saying here.
Quote:

So they are going to dub only two episodes or only stream 2 dub episodes?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
So there are dubing I wonder if it was the effect of the Crunchyroll deal

No, the dubbed release for this title was announced BEFORE the CR deal and was streamed by Funimation. It probably has nothing to do with it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
JRPGNATION wrote:

Quote:

So they are going to dub only two episodes or only stream 2 dub episodes?

Normally, Funimation will make the first two dubbed episodes of a 12 episode series available for streaming several weeks ahead of the release date for the discs. Then once that day arrives, the rest are made available for streaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1