• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2-Million Yen Life-Size Saekano Up for Auction—For Double the Price

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
They probably realized that it's sort of a lame design after receiving it. lol

No, in all seriousness though, it's probably a case where this person is just curious what they can wring out of people. If they REALLY needed to sell for some reason, they'd definitely price it much lower.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Man the people who go that far for this huge figurine
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I bet that a lot of the original 20 went to small retail shops for display pieces.
Having this in your store is a draw for a certain clientele, and it might actually be worth the money to a place like that to buy it.

Works for KFC, after all (something tells me those statues of the colonel don't cost $40K though.)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
^Or just wealthy otaku like this person.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love the seller's username though.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much it weighs...
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love how ANN goes absolutely out of it's way to report on any situation pertaining to a site sponsors merchandise even if it's pure 100% fluff pieces. At the very least even MAL doesn't do this and has a tendency just to stick to the purely news pieces or actual interest pieces.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
^How is this not an "actual" interest piece? I dare say that a figure going for an eye-popping number is pretty interesting.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^How is this not an "actual" interest piece? I dare say that a figure going for an eye-popping number is pretty interesting.

Considering I've seen a solid gold Gundam model go for 10 times that much honestly nothing really surprises me anymore.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

Considering I've seen a solid gold Gundam model go for 10 times that much honestly nothing really surprises me anymore.

For what it's worth, I found this pretty interesting. It's always fun to come to the forums for these sorts of comments though. Laughing
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
@Alabaster Spectrum Sure you can find things that are more expensive. But I still find the fact that that figure costs more than the new car I bought earlier this year astonishing. And I think such coverage is more due to reader input expressing a desire to see more figure coverage than anything you were implying.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what SLK will do with the statue of Megumi if no bid is made within the four days? Will he just keep it for personal admiration or will he try selling it at a reasonable price and hope he'll make at least a fair bit of his money back?
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I wonder what SLK will do with the statue of Megumi if no bid is made within the four days? Will he just keep it for personal admiration or will he try selling it at a reasonable price and hope he'll make at least a fair bit of his money back?

I'm going to bet they don't actually need the money, and will just keep it if no one wants to pay that price. Maybe they'll post it again at some point, but I doubt they're seriously selling it out of financial need.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I got quite a laugh at that third photo. It feels like such a Japanese thing to do.

I would say he's fallen on hard times, but I think that life-size statue has made his life hard enough.

samuelp wrote:
I bet that a lot of the original 20 went to small retail shops for display pieces.
Having this in your store is a draw for a certain clientele, and it might actually be worth the money to a place like that to buy it.

Works for KFC, after all (something tells me those statues of the colonel don't cost $40K though.)

I heard from people who run restaurants that even those restaurant-sized metal cauldrons can cost at least several thousands of dollars if you want one that can hold up under the strains of a busy eatery. If other businesses' equipment is like that, then I can definitely see that price level not that far out of reach for them. No idea if the Colonel Sanderses cost that much though.

relyat08 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I'm going to bet they don't actually need the money, and will just keep it if no one wants to pay that price. Maybe they'll post it again at some point, but I doubt they're seriously selling it out of financial need.

That's what I'm predicting too. I've seen stupid high going prices for things on online auction sites where they don't get any buyers, and they either go away and are never seen from again, or they'll re-list it a few weeks to a few months later at the same price.

Something else that kills these auctions is their niche nature though, meaning relatively few people will be on the site looking for the thing being auctioned off, and even fewer, or none, will have that kind of spending money. (That being said, I have managed to snag a rare item for its bid price because I was the only person who made a bid, as few people know how rare it is.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Something is wrong with her face, unless that is how the anime or manga had her looking.

Still, with the face not looking right, it is just a worthless statue. Nothing worse than a figure off model.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2