• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good Dub recommendations please.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
It's something that's hard to ask in other forums where the people are close-minded hardcore Sub only fans. I'm just hoping I can get proper answers here.

While I also prefer watching my anime sub, i also know that there are also great dubs and i consider finding one like a hidden gem. But I don't have much time now to blindly try each series one by one so i'd like for recommendations of good dubs that came out recently or in recent years.

Some of the dubs i like are Black Lagoon, Spice and Wolf, Evangelion, Death Note, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Hellsing Ultimate, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, Summer Wars, HOTD, Lucky Star, Baccano!, Casshern Sins, Cowboy Bebop, FMP, Kino's Journey, Gundam Seed, Steins;Gate, Hikaru no Go, Mardock Scramble, Redline, etc... (i had to write most of them to narrow the options)

note: i've read the "No recommendation thread" post, but there's no link for 'dubs'
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
I cannot help you because to me almost all dubs are good, but others might be able to provide better suggestions if you can give more information.

Why do you like those dubs?
Is it the voices? The scripts? Similarity to the subtitles?

What makes a dub good for you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
I have always been more of a subtitle hardcore fan. In recent year I have watched more dubbed anime, and to be honest, liked most of them. Very few were actually bad or not great.
Have a look at Psychopass if you have not already, really liked that dub.
tofukitty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I too tend to prefer subs but I also like when companies try to make a good dub. I prefer the sub but Fruits Basket and ouran high school host club both have good dubs. The new Sailor Moon dub is good and a lot of fun for me. The Ghibli dubs tend to be good too.When I think good dub I automatically think Cowboy Bebop and Code Geass. But that's just me.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Good dub how? Just a plain old anime that has an English voice over which doesn't annoy you?

Fate/Zero, Code Geass, Psycho Pass, Attack on Titan, Fooly Cooly (in my opinion), Madoka Magica, Paranoia Agent, Monster, and tons of others have you covered. A standout in my opinion is Princess Tutu. Very underappreciated work there.

An anime that enhances the dialogue significantly from the Japanese version?

Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Steins;Gate, Baccano, Black Lagoon, etc. Or, if you want an ironic example, check out High School of the Dead or Great Teacher Onizuka.

An anime that completely changes the plot and show you're watching depending on which language you listen to?

Shin-chan, Sgt. Frog, Ghost Stories, Robotech, and many 4kids dubs accomplish this.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps one of the best ways to answer this question is to post a link to a blog post that I did sometime ago.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/entry.php?809-My-list-of-dubs-that-I-have-seen

This is a list of dubs I've seen with my personal opinions on them. You may not agree with them, but I stand by them.

That said, I'll touch on some of my favorites here.

I personally think ADV did a great job with their dub of Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water; the children's voices and those of their co-stars were great, inconsistent though the accents can be at times. It's one of the first good dubs that the long gone Monster Island Studio in Austin, TX put out. A lot of their previous productions before that were either abysmal (Sonic OVA), overbaked (Lost Universe), or disappointingly wooden (Samurai X), but Nadia was the beginning of their turning point in quality. Perhaps it was because they were given meaty roles to start out with. Even though there have been dubs that have come a long way, I still consider ADV's dub of Nadia grossly underrated and absolutely deserving of another look.

Funimation recently did a bang-up job redubbing The Vision of Escaflowne, which is something I never thought I'd say. The Canadian Ocean dub wasn't bad, but it had a lot of script mistakes and some stale dialogue. The Funimation version fixes all that, and its cast sounds much more passionate and believable. More importantly, the script is smoother and fluent and thankfully free of any embarrassing moments. Only voice I thought was questionable was Prince Chid -- I liked that character better in the Ocean dub, but beyond that, it's one of the better dubs I've listened to all year.

Anything by Disney-Ghibli you can't go wrong with. Those dubs are excellent, hands down. I personally did not enjoy The Wind Rises, though; I found that to be too wooden. But any of their other dubs are great choices. In particular, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, and Whisper of the Heart are among my favorites.

And if you want to dig deeper into a well and find rare examples of decent dubbing from the darkest portion of Anime years (1980's-1990's), there's an ultra rare Swan Lake anime with early turns by L.A. veterans Lara Cody and Robert Axelrod as well as "big names" like the late David Hemmings, Christopher Atkins (The Blue Lagoon), Pam Dawber, and Kay Lenz. Although it is a bit stiff at times, I still consider it a decent dub for its time and it's easily better than the HIDEOUS Frontier-produced dub that was used for wide video release.

ADV may be long gone and they have produced duds, but aside from Nadia, there are other great dubs from them: Princess Nine, Petite Princess Yucie, Getbackers, Golden Boy, and many of their latter day dubs were done well.

Central Park Media wasn't always known for creating stellar dubs, but having said that I do confess to have a soft spot for Record of Lodoss War OVA. Old though that dub may be, I found it to be fitting and appropriate for this type of medieval fantasy, and Lisa Ortiz's turn as Deedlit is one of its biggest strengths. Slayers is another good one, although to be honest, I've found Now and Then Here and There, The World of Narue, and Animation Runner Kuromi to be solid dubs as well.

Animaze, another long gone studio, has done some great work; they did a superior redub of Akira, their version of Castle of Cagliostro, although thick on coarse language, is otherwise charming. Wolf's Rain, and even The Wings of Honneamise are both great dubs, too.

Anything from NYAV Post you can't go wrong with; Michael Sinterniklaas is an excellent ADR director, and he knows how to wrestle sincerity from his stars. Check out his work on Jungle Emperor Leo, A Letter To Momo, and Miss Houkasai if you want to see what this guy really can do.

Of course this is only just a sample from me, but if you want to know more, you can always visit my blogspot: http://animeenglishdubreviews.blogspot.com/ for more information.[/i]
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
You know, speaking of good dubs, I'd love to know some more good Ocean Group dubs. I saw Black Lagoon and Death Note, realized that they had amazing dubs, but I hadn't heard their actors much, and then wanting to hear more Brad Swaile in my life made me watch some Gundam shows. But... honestly, those dubs were just alright. Hell, by today's standards, even a little bad. Does anyone know some amazing Ocean Group dubs that aren't Black Lagoon, Death Note, or Gundam 00? Nana sounds alright so far (I'm on episode 5), and Ranma 1/2 hasn't really swayed me one way or the other (but honestly, for a dub of its age, the fact that I'm not reaching to change the audio should be a high praise to it).
Chloee Cathrine Agius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
Looking for DUBBED anime or anime movie recommendation
I'm looking for a good romantic /romantic-comedy but i'm also in the mood for good anime about sport or music but I also love my fantasy/adventure,,,,,,,,, AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Most genre I like are
Romance,comedy,Shoujo-ai,Shounen,Shounen-ai/yaoi,adventure ,action,fantasy,supernatural and ecchi

Genre I like :
Romance,comedy,action,adventure,drama,mecha,ecchi,supernatural,fantasy,game,harem,reverse harem,shounen,Josei,Historical,magic,Martial Arts,music,sports,Martial Arts,police,parody,Post-Apocalyptic,school,sci-fi,Seinen,Shoujo,yuri/Shoujo-...ai,Shounen,Shounen-ai/yaoi,slice of life,space,super powers,Tragedy,vampire/werewolves and more xDGenre I dislike but still wanna try
Gore,horror and psychologic

Anime I liked :
love hina
chobit
naruto
fairy tail
your lie in april
ah my goddess
blue drop
cat planet cuties
panty and stocking with gatherbelt
blue exorcist
claymore
date a live
freezing
mardock scrambles
please,teacher
prison school
soul eater
spirited away
summer wars
yurii! on ice
gurrenn lagan
garden of words
the seven deadly sins
my bride is mermaid
ouran high school host club

Anime I didn't like
kamisama kiss
guilty crown
high school dxd(might give this one another try)
cowboy bebop
early rein
air gear
ahh my Buddha
durarara
sankarea
the world only god knows (couldn't stand the main character lol)

please recommend a good anime/anime movie
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
We normally don't allow recommendation request posts unless they are in approved rec threads, Chloee Chloee-Cat Agius. Please avoid making rec posts (unless in designated threads) and lists in the future. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
Most of what Funimation puts out these days is dubbed fairly well. It wasn't always this good, but I'm not sure where the cut-off is, if there was one.

Generally, you should be fine if you stick to stuff that they dubbed in the 2010's. Their dub of One Piece is probably the best I've heard in any shōnen. Dragon Ball Z Kai is also really great if you're not a nostalgia critic.

Actually, most dubbing teams in recent days seem to have their shit together--except for Sentai. I've never liked any of theirs, probably because they mostly do slice-of-life shows, where the Hinata effect tends to be strong in cutesy female leads.

Old Geneon titles are a good bet. Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champloo are stalwart examples, here.

Some of the best dubs are of classic oldies (by today's standards), like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

For newer series, there's Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia, Steins;Gate, and plenty more of which I'm forgetting.
gdpetti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Tiger and BUnny dub was excellent.... mentioned in various reviews etc... it's rare to get a dub as good or better than the original Japanese... but then I'm not Japanese and it's always better IMO to watch it like they do... in my native language... without looking down to read all the time.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:26 am Reply with quote
Of course this is all my personal opinion, but I keep a custom list for this sort of thing that may help. I keep it up to date, it'll give you around 260 options at the moment.
Morzone

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy
91 Days
Durarara
Texhnolyze
Haibane Renmei
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1