• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I knew another Yugioh series would be getting subbed after GX wrapped up in October, but I figured Zexal would be next. Arc-V is a pleasant surprise!

I doubt Crunchyroll will be able to catch up before Arc-V finishes, but I hope them choosing to focus on the latest series means they'll consider simulcasting the eventual 6th series.

Interestingly, next Tuesday's batch will put the subtitled release ahead of the dub premieres on Nicktoons. I figured they would want the subtitled version behind the dub, but I guess they're trying to make up for how far ahead Australia's release is. (Australia's already up to episode 89 of the English dub, while Nicktoons just got to episode 26)

Last edited by 1dbad on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
TGC names tho.

spoiler[Yes. I realized I put G before C.]

Last edited by KH91 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
TGC names tho.

It's a Konami mandate, unfortunately. At least they're retaining the Japanese character names this time around.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
^ Well aware. Just differentiates legal and official for me.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice of them to do this right as ARC-V is ending Rolling Eyes TCG names means I'll skip out, though. Don't they have older series to sub still?
SNaGem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
This is nice. Never been too annoyed at the use of TCG names over OCG; it would be almost as weird as seeing untranslated Pokemon names.

Hope they post 5D's soon, kinda wanna rewatch the first arc.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile they're still taking their sweet time uploading the remainder of Yu-Gi-Oh's episodes.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder if there's some sort of stipulation with the original Yu-Gi-Oh!. Otherwise you'd think they would have accelerated DM's release rate instead.

Lord Oink wrote:
Don't they have older series to sub still?

GX and 5D's are fully subbed, and they're already working on the original Yu-Gi-Oh!. Only other series left is Zexal, but they already have a 27 episode headstart on Hulu.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Meanwhile they're still taking their sweet time uploading the remainder of Yu-Gi-Oh's episodes.

4Kids/4K could have solved this problem years ago by already having the 1st 3 Duel Monsters series completely subbed. However, rights issue deters that.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
4Kids/4K could have solved this problem years ago by already having the 1st 3 Duel Monsters series completely subbed. However, rights issue deters that.

Rights issues were with Yugi's Japanese VA, which only affected the original series. GX and 5D's was more of an issue of timing. By the time 4Kids became interested in subbing the series, they were in rough shape. Best they could originally manage was one 5D's episode subtitled a week, due to how understaffed they were. It's too bad they didn't think of partnering with Crunchyroll sooner, because it has helped them tremendously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1