• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia GN 6

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
my hero is okay its not horrible by any means what so ever but it is not amazing as well
ew121

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
diamoundheadx wrote:
my hero is okay its not horrible by any means what so ever but it is not amazing as well

I agree that it's not horrible by any means but if you've been reading battle shonen for a while manga like Hero Academia become just... boring. I wish the author would do SOMETHING original, anything at all.

Not to mention the main character reeks of self insert and it's easily the worst part of the series barring some good scenes, every character in the cast feels the need to jerk him off and the plot always bends his way too.
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:
diamoundheadx wrote:

I agree that it's not horrible by any means but if you've been reading battle shonen for a while manga like Hero Academia become just... boring. I wish the author would do SOMETHING original, anything at all.

Not to mention the main character reeks of self insert and it's easily the worst part of the series barring some good scenes, every character in the cast feels the need to jerk him off and the plot always bends his way too.

yeah that what i mean it really is boring its more talk then anything and the action isn't that impressive also im not that big fan of deku something seems off about him to me
ew121

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Talking is not the problem, manga like HxH or World Trigger have a lot of talking but they use that talking for interesting things for the most part, of course not everything is super serious or talks about strategies and stuff like that in fact they have a lot of goofy moments that are used to develop characters or simply "useless" talk that give you the feeling these characters are alive, but my point is that they have good and well thought dialogue.

Academia doesn't, and the fights are boring because they're not even remotely smart. It was great when Ring ni Kakero did it in the 70's or Hokuto no Ken taking it as inspiration in early 80's but we're in 2016, these mangaka don't even try to put a spin on things people did decades ago.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
I have to thoroughly disagree with the notion that My Hero's battle sequences are "boring" or "not even remotely smart". They stand out to me at least as being some of the most thoroughly well choreographed, refreshingly concise and thrilling action sequences in manga right now. The ally way fight with Stain, to take an example from Vols 6 though 7, was filled with attention to detail I was never left wondering how out of left field a development transpired to be.

Compare that to Naruto, Bleach or Black Clover where the action sequences appear to exist in a bubble of irregular topography and 'just go with it' logic, My Hero is refreshingly thorough.
Aezreal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
I have to thoroughly disagree with the notion that My Hero's battle sequences are "boring" or "not even remotely smart". They stand out to me at least as being some of the most thoroughly well choreographed, refreshingly concise and thrilling action sequences in manga right now. The ally way fight with Stain, to take an example from Vols 6 though 7, was filled with attention to detail I was never left wondering how out of left field a development transpired to be.

Compare that to Naruto, Bleach or Black Clover where the action sequences appear to exist in a bubble of irregular topography and 'just go with it' logic, My Hero is refreshingly thorough.

I feel the same way, more or less. After reading the comments people were placing here, I was left vaguely feeling like I should add my own point of view. However, you did a far better job of summarising it than I likely would've so I'll just borrow yours and say "Yeah, I agree".
ew121

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
If you think the asspull about Stain's abilities being weak against Deku's type of blood, something that wasn't mentioned before is anything other than poor writing then I don't know what to tell you.

If you think that's a "smart" battle then...

And you keep mocking Naruto but Hero Academia outright rips off Naruto several times, hell the author jerks himself off thinking about Naruto and Kishimoto, he's made it clear a lot of times in interviews or when talking about Naruto.
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
The comments on this review have me dead Anime hyper. Some of you guys just want Dragonball Z or another Fairy Tail. You guys are really underrating the series.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
GamerTimeUSA wrote:
The comments on this review have me dead Anime hyper. Some of you guys just want Dragonball Z or another Fairy Tail. You guys are really underrating the series.

Surely they are. Besides Fairy Tail has been floundering in quality since this war arc began.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Detecting high levels of bullshit, captain! She's gainae blow!

Incidently I think you just described Naruto by mistake.

Even better question, if you rate it so lowly why go to all the trouble of writing up why you dislike it...in a review thread of all places?

You guys love trying to disparage Naruto when it's one this series hugest inspirations. You don't have to like Naruto, but at least give credit where credit is due. Otherwise you just sound pissy for no good reason.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
I can respect Naruto's longevity whilst also criticising it's bland, shounen type-1 main character, terribly choreographed fight sequences and dreary, ankle dragging pace.

MHA does a lot of what Naruto did, granted*, but it's NOT a beat retelling. It's a far more honed beast. But that's just my two pence, taste is all subjective.

*And dies them better I might add.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to add my thoughts to the mix.

Is MHA a strong series, yes. Does it have glaring flaws people frequently overlook, yes.

As someone said earlier as interesting as he can be sometimes Deku has strong flashes that make him reek of Self-Insert Mary Sue, everyone instantly likes him, he rarely ever stumbles, constantly developed a solution to every problem in minutes, etc. The fights are okay but like someone else said sometimes there are these asspulls that come out of nowhere, case and point the Stain fight and how it plays around Deku "Uniquness", if that had happened with it's lack of buildup in say Fairy Tail, we'd bitch and moan about it, but for some reason it's given a pass on MHA.

IT also suffers from a similar problem to Naruto in where the side cast is large, but mostly irrelevant aside from two or three players, in Naruto it was Team 7, Shikamaru, Hinata, Lee and Neji that were the main cast, everyone else was trivial and never expanded upon. in MHA it's Deku, Idia, Ochako, Bakugo, Tadoroki, and Momo, occasionally Kamanari or Kirashima. Everyone else is just gloried background fodder.

Speaking of some of those characters Bakugo is still annoying to no end, he never really learns of improves emotionally, he continues to be a selfish, loud, rude asshole for no other reason than to be a selfish rude asshole. (There was some flickers that he might actually give a shit about someone other than himself in recent chapters but that was quickly tossed out the window). People complained forever about how angsty Sasuke got but Bakugo is just Sasuke if you substituted Angst for Anger, he lashes out at everything just to last out at them over trivial garbage that it's become annoying how little he''s progressed.

While MHA is a good series and likely going to be one of the staples of Jump for the foreseeable future it's not without flaws that most fans would, and have, skewered other series for.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
Personally I find Bakugous nastiness another quite refreshing aspect to the series. He's not angry because of any kind of emotional trauma as per cliche, he's just a spoiled brat who'se for once not getting the attention he thinks he deserves, even his old punching bag (Deku) is on an even footing with him now. And his entitlement causes his irrational frustartion, it's a very human flaw.

Sasuke was...angsty because...reasons I guess. I had hopd becoming a father was going to make him a more interesting character but sadly I still cant the muster the energy to care about him.
ew121

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Personally I find Bakugous nastiness another quite refreshing aspect to the series. He's not angry because of any kind of emotional trauma as per cliche, he's just a spoiled brat who'se for once not getting the attention he thinks he deserves, even his old punching bag (Deku) is on an even footing with him now. And his entitlement causes his irrational frustartion, it's a very human flaw.

Sasuke was...angsty because...reasons I guess. I had hopd becoming a father was going to make him a more interesting character but sadly I still cant the muster the energy to care about him.

Sasuke was angsty because his entire clan got murdered when he was 7 and his brother made him watch for 72 hours straight how he murdered his parents, that would drive anyone insane. When he started to get better said brother appeared again, mindfucked him, his teacher and tried to kill his friends.

I'm not a Sasuke fan, but people that say he's not justified to be angsty and crazy are just not using their brain.

I still think Itachi being a good guy was [expletive] bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:

I'm not a Sasuke fan, but people that say he's not justified to be angsty and crazy are just not using their brain.

He's not justified in fact that was the biggest problem with Naruto was how his whole mantra made less and less sense as it went on and just made him more unlikable when he was suppose to be sympathetic because that's the only way to justify Naruto's determination to save him is by understanding where he's coming from but the more and more will find out about his clan's history you actually start to sympathize more with the guy who wanted to kill them all versus the guy who just want justice be done. Itachi being the good guy is pretty much the worse twist in the manga and about the biggest lapse in writing quality the series suffered and never recovered since it meant all Kishimoto was doing afterward and trying to demonize the Uchiha clan and how Itachi was the only good egg to come out of it forgetting the fact that your deuteragonist has been attempting to avenge them by undoing all the good Itachi brought from his sacrifice? This is just terrible writing and the sad thing is that Sasuke character wouldn't have been so harshly received if not for that stupid change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2