• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: your name. Sets 1-Day Anime Film Expansion Record at U.K., Ireland Box Office

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
The world domination continues.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:38 am Reply with quote
Your Name. will be number one in terms of earning worldwide for any Japanese film once it opens up in China. The film's expected to earn more than 100 million dollar there.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
I've heard of a showing in LA, but no where else in the states. Is there some sort of email list or website that lists every anime showing in the states? I'd hate to miss this if/when it comes by the capitol of the United F'ing States of America.
CRUZINFORIT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
The LA run is academy aware qualifying run only. There will be a wider release in the US sometime in the first quarter, my bet would be on February-ish.
Jinbei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
When is it gonna screen elsewhere in Europe? Finland got Boy and the Beast on September and only because of a film festival that screens anime movies occasionally. The film was, by the way, pretty much bashed by our newspaper critics for "showing youngsters that life's problems can be solved with violence" <-- (What the actual fudge??!!)

But yeah... Kimi no na wa would be a hit here. Might interest the non-otaku unwashed masses as well, due to the romantic theme...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The website Film News UK reports that the one-day 'expanded' release of Makoto Shinkai's your name. earned £108,372 at the UK and Ireland box-office.

Had I not been ill on the day and wary of accidentally attending one of the surprise dub screenings, another ten Sterling would have been added to that amount!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tofu92600

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
When the fudge do we get a french release ?!
Of course I could go to the UK for a screening. Let's see : day trip 200+€ for train ticket, 14£ for cinema ticket... I'm on a diet so no pop corn.
OR
BlueRay torrent : 40€ ISP fees...
Allright matey, it's pirating time arrrr!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:28 am Reply with quote

An industry member recently lamented that the global release schedule of this film has clashed with its extreme popularity, which can only exacerbate the scale of anime piracy.

If ever the industry can compete against illegal uploaders in cases of major theatrical works such as this, I expect that the good work Crunchyroll has done over the last eight years would have to be repeated. Different sectors of Japan's media business would need to be convinced of the need for legal streaming options in the same way that televised production committees and licensors were.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
I've got a feeling that "your name's" not only going to well in the U.K. and Ireland but in the U.S. as well. From what I've seen of it so far,it's got a cute story and it's just going to make you feel warm inside. So yeah,I think it's going to well. I wouldn't be surprised if they're already planning a sequel to this thing or Hollywood's going to attempt to do a remake of this one. I wouldn't be surprised of that happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1