• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS to Release Ghibli's Ocean Waves in N. American Theaters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Ayyy can't wait!! Very Happy
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
It's coming to the Dragonfly, cool.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
And it will be dubbed in English. Am I right, folks?
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Damn, GKids is on top of it! I'm proud of them for finally bringing the two missing Ghibli movies to the U.S., unlike that damn Disney.

I wonder how Ocean Waves is going to hold up on the big screen, as it's actually a TV movie.

So now, since we all know it'll be coming to DVD and Blu-ray like Only Yesterday, I can rejoice that I won't have to shell out for the UK DVDs from Optimum, which I was going to do a few years ago.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Apparently it's subtitled-only. I can understand this film not warranting a typical Ghibli style dub with celebs, but I don't see how a standard dub from like NYAV, Bang Zoom, or Studiopolis would've been out-of-reach...
meronichan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I am not a huge fan of this film myself, but I am happy that it's finally getting a release stateside. Thankyou, Gkids!
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Apparently it's subtitled-only. I can understand this film not warranting a typical Ghibli style dub with celebs, but I don't see how a standard dub from like NYAV, Bang Zoom, or Studiopolis would've been out-of-reach...

What?! It's not dubbed? What a shame! I was so looking forward to seeing this dubbed. I do hope it does get one. Otherwise there's no point in me seeing it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
The article doesn't contain a plot summary (the link to GKID's site does, though). When it says they now hold licenses to all feature-length Ghibli movies, does that only include the ones not already released by Disney?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
Gee,

I hope nobody's pretending this is the FIRST time this film has been shown in the US because that's NOT true!

I saw it as part of a Ghibli festival earlier THIS YEAR at the local art theater.
And it was also subtitled. It screened at least 10-14 times in one week.

I'm fairly positive that it has screened at film festivals elsewhere in the US and Canada before so there's nothing special about this other than GKids is making sure it gets to LOCAL art theaters and not just isolated film festivals.

There's a fair chance it WILL be released next year on DVD/Blu ray with a dub track.
I don't think GKids has screened a film theatrically that it hasn't turned around and released on home video within a year.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
Damn, GKids is on top of it! I'm proud of them for finally bringing the two missing Ghibli movies to the U.S., unlike that damn Disney.

I wonder how Ocean Waves is going to hold up on the big screen, as it's actually a TV movie.

So now, since we all know it'll be coming to DVD and Blu-ray like Only Yesterday, I can rejoice that I won't have to shell out for the UK DVDs from Optimum, which I was going to do a few years ago.
It's kind of a shame Disney seems to no longer care about Ghibli but I guess they got all the money they wanted to make off of Spirited Away. Personally I'm not a big fan of this movie myself as I always found the main love interest girl to be incredibly annoying. Of course I first saw it years ago when I was still somewhat new to anime and I wasn't as into slice of life back then as I am now so maybe my opinion will have changed since then. But I'm glad we seem to be getting all the Ghibli movies finally being brought over to the U.S.
daishi808

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Gee,

I hope nobody's pretending this is the FIRST time this film has been shown in the US because that's NOT true!

I saw it as part of a Ghibli festival earlier THIS YEAR at the local art theater.
And it was also subtitled. It screened at least 10-14 times in one week.

I'm fairly positive that it has screened at film festivals elsewhere in the US and Canada before so there's nothing special about this other than GKids is making sure it gets to LOCAL art theaters and not just isolated film festivals.

There's a fair chance it WILL be released next year on DVD/Blu ray with a dub track.
I don't think GKids has screened a film theatrically that it hasn't turned around and released on home video within a year.

Saw it in 2012 at the Hawaii International Film Festival.

Word of warning to folks seeing the film in Hawaii, Kahala theaters really dropped the ball back then and had major projection issues. Hope they get it right this time.
CR85747

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The article doesn't contain a plot summary (the link to GKID's site does, though). When it says they now hold licenses to all feature-length Ghibli movies, does that only include the ones not already released by Disney?

GKIDS now claims theatrical rights to these films (which essentially means they have the rights for festivals and repertory theaters). Disney maintains home media rights to the films that they originally released (and their re-dub of Totoro).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:06 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I can understand this film not warranting a typical Ghibli style dub with celebs, but I don't see how a standard dub from like NYAV, Bang Zoom, or Studiopolis would've been out-of-reach...

Perhaps the fact this is a standard high-school romance restricts the prospects of its broader appeal, vis-à-vis the child-friendly fare that usually ensures a healthy return on the investment of a Ghibli dub.
daishi808 wrote:
Word of warning to folks seeing the film in Hawaii, Kahala theaters really dropped the ball back then and had major projection issues. Hope they get it right this time.

I cannot be the only person to see the irony in this, given that part of the film itself occurs in Hawaii...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Perhaps the fact this is a standard high-school romance restricts the prospects of its broader appeal, vis-à-vis the child-friendly fare that usually ensures a healthy return on the investment of a Ghibli dub.

I have a hard time buying that, considering films like Only Yesterday and From Up on Poppy Hill were just as grounded and "realistic" as this film, and neither were particularly geared towards an audience of children either. If it's Ghibli, there will be a market for it, especially if it's dubbed.
burninsnikers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Guys, can anyone enlighten me why GKids releases this movie with subtitles while ANN encyclopedia states it has English dub with cast encluding Anton Yelchin and Chloe Moretz. Do English dub really exist and was it released somewhere sometime (on TV maybe)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1