Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Platinum End GN 1




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
diamoundheadx



Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Posts: 188
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
the main reason why death note was good was because of light and L and ryuku every thing else was boring Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4876
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, those arrows essentially bind someone's love against their will, meaning this volume's big fanservice tableau is a sequence of a famous comedian with angelic powers sexually assaulting a group of young idols. This awkwardness points to the fundamental awkwardness of the whole creation: Ohba's inhumane character writing.


Come on. This is the most plausible use that some men would use their powers for. It is utterly realistic. Writing about inhumane acts is not bad character writing. Any man with a brain, knows that there are plenty of men that would be inhumane or worse to women if they could get away with it. That is an uncomfortable truth, but truth nonetheless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danpmss



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 588
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, Ohba's talents don't really extend beyond constructing narrative beats, and his character and thematic writing is particularly abysmal. There's only ever two character types in an Ohba story: the smart, talented, under-appreciated male leads, and all of the idiots that surround them. Ohba crafts characters with the empathy of a dedicated solipsist, meaning most of the characters in Platinum End are either one-note villains or sycophants.


Welp, I guess someone here never touched their last series "Bakuman" at all. And btw, they always help each other with both the writing and the storyboard. There's never an "all Ohba" or "all Obata" in their works, they said so themselves even in some interviews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5373
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Honestly Ohba needs to give up on trying to write female characters. His stories can be interesting, but his internalized mysogyny makes them insufferable to read. In Bakuman and Death Note, the women are mostly sidelined so the snippets of sexism are not as cumbersome, but this one has two women playing main roles, and in the few chapters I read, the romantic interest was truly awfully written, making her a Misa Amane without any aggressiveness, just a meek submissive girl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Bobduh



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 24
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Welp, I guess someone here never touched their last series "Bakuman" at all.

Review author here - I actually read the whole thing! It ultimately only solidified my impression of Ohba's character writing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
danpmss



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 588
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Bobduh wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Welp, I guess someone here never touched their last series "Bakuman" at all.

Review author here - I actually read the whole thing! It ultimately only solidified my impression of Ohba's character writing.


In all the cast of 30+ characters, I've seen 3 or maybe 4 that falls in the category you just mentioned (including the L wannabe character), and those aren't even the main characters themselves in there.

Can you specify how exactly Bakuman solidifies your opinion about their character writing at all?

Just reminding of your generalization:
Quote:
"There's only ever two character types in an Ohba story: the smart, talented, under-appreciated male leads, and all of the idiots that surround them."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tanteikingdomkey



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 2169
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
So this sounds even more like this is another example of the authors being sexist in their writing is this right or no?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Swami.



Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Really excited to dive more into this material. The art is already a major plus for me!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1936
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:


In all the cast of 30+ characters, I've seen 3 or maybe 4 that falls in the category you just mentioned (including the L wannabe character), and those aren't even the main characters themselves in there.

Can you specify how exactly Bakuman solidifies your opinion about their character writing at all?

Just reminding of your generalization:
Quote:
"There's only ever two character types in an Ohba story: the smart, talented, under-appreciated male leads, and all of the idiots that surround them."


I mean, aside from that one other genius character, that's pretty much how the rest of the cast ends up. Anyone who seems to have been a genuine rival to begin with (the novelist, the super-crude guy who lives off ramen, the shoujo-writer-turned-shonen-mangaka) gets downgraded. The crude guy never gets a breakthrough hit, the shoujo writer gets hitched and then sidelined for the painfully unfunny otter-guy, and the novelist has her work suffer drastically due to her crush on her editor. The endgame "I don't need people, I have the internet" villain is also handily dismissed by the narrative itself. (I think the same thing happens to someone who basically makes a manga production company, but I might be mistaken; can't quite recall that bit.)

When comparing the signs of their success (an anime adaptation), only the otter-guy and the genius reach the same level the two leads do, and the otter-guy is clearly supposed to be some kind of ironic form of success in that he seems to deeply resent his work. The genius, on the other hand, often acknowledges their work as equal to his, so he's still basically in the "smart, talented" category. Everyone else is very obviously supposed to be seen as "lesser" than the two mains.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2939
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Read a few chapters of this, and just felt like they were trying to redo death note all over again. I just didn't really get the point of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HIGANO



Joined: 07 Dec 2016
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Sadly.the only good thing about this manga is Obata art..........
the first volume is okay............ but everything after that is mess.....
most disappointing manga series in 2016 .......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danpmss



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 588
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
danpmss wrote:


In all the cast of 30+ characters, I've seen 3 or maybe 4 that falls in the category you just mentioned (including the L wannabe character), and those aren't even the main characters themselves in there.

Can you specify how exactly Bakuman solidifies your opinion about their character writing at all?

Just reminding of your generalization:
Quote:
"There's only ever two character types in an Ohba story: the smart, talented, under-appreciated male leads, and all of the idiots that surround them."


I mean, aside from that one other genius character, that's pretty much how the rest of the cast ends up. Anyone who seems to have been a genuine rival to begin with (the novelist, the super-crude guy who lives off ramen, the shoujo-writer-turned-shonen-mangaka) gets downgraded. The crude guy never gets a breakthrough hit, the shoujo writer gets hitched and then sidelined for the painfully unfunny otter-guy, and the novelist has her work suffer drastically due to her crush on her editor. The endgame "I don't need people, I have the internet" villain is also handily dismissed by the narrative itself. (I think the same thing happens to someone who basically makes a manga production company, but I might be mistaken; can't quite recall that bit.)

When comparing the signs of their success (an anime adaptation), only the otter-guy and the genius reach the same level the two leads do, and the otter-guy is clearly supposed to be some kind of ironic form of success in that he seems to deeply resent his work. The genius, on the other hand, often acknowledges their work as equal to his, so he's still basically in the "smart, talented" category. Everyone else is very obviously supposed to be seen as "lesser" than the two mains.


Not all all, dude. They all specialised in their own things and they all just grown bigger and bigger learning from their mistakes, screwed up and payed for it (the "villains", not sure if the internet otaku community count as a character, in the case of the Seiyuu Arc) or (few of them) developing into more mature characters realistically thinking of their actual capacities.

I'm yet to see one character in there that actually derailed for good in terms of overall development (excluding the characters intended to end up like that), even though some didn't quite reached the same level of the other characters (what would be the point anyway, all of them, MANY characters, getting equally successful in Shonen Jump of all things, which is a highly competitive magazine).

None of the characters are idiots in comparison to any other genius characters, that's the main point. They aren't black and white at all (there's no "there are the badass underappreciated male geniuses and a bunch of idiots highly inferior to them", this reviewer did a very bad generalization out of the work of these two mangakas).

Not to count that the female cast was much better developed in there that in MANY of other Shonen Jump manga, just saying (though I must admit they do kinda suck writing women, adverted in Bakuman itself as a little plot point and self-deprecation jokes, even in some of the tankobon extras iirc).


Last edited by danpmss on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ashen Phoenix



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 2710
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm intrigued by this series after reading the review. I enjoyed the themes and twists and turns Death Note took. I personally took issue with some of the ways the creators portrayed female characters in both DN and Bakuman, but if the main cast is compelling enough I'll have enough to keep me hooked regardless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
DarkCyradis



Joined: 02 Apr 2003
Posts: 78
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree 100% with Nick's summation of Tsugumi Ohba's writing strengths and weaknesses (great cerebral thriller plots, abysmal character writing), but I wanted to clarify one point--isn't Tsugumi Ohba a woman? (and a bonafide misogynist. Yes, it's possible to be both).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5373
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
DarkCyradis wrote:
I agree 100% with Nick's summation of Tsugumi Ohba's writing strengths and weaknesses (great cerebral thriller plots, abysmal character writing), but I wanted to clarify one point--isn't Tsugumi Ohba a woman? (and a bonafide misogynist. Yes, it's possible to be both).


As far as I know, Ohba has never appeared in public and their gender is unconfirmed. There are a lot of rumors about them being a woman, but it seems the general assumption is that they're a man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group