• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ufotable's Touken Ranbu TV Anime Reveals 2nd Video, July Premiere, Title

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Hanamaru so far; its blend of slice-of-life fluff and time travel action is a lot of fun and the darker hints of the sword warriors' trauma is surprisingly engaging.

I'm excited to see this more action-oriented adaptation now too!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Hanamaru was passable (I'm not big on the sol genre, though I don't discard a title just for that), but this is the one I've been waiting to see. Maybe having seen the slower (glacial) paced Hanamaru will help in sorting out the cast in the more action-packed series, and since I don't play the games, I'll need all the help I can get. I still haven't absorbed a single one of their names, but at least I know their look and personalities a bit now. Smile
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
This looks to be the definitive adaptation. I mean Hanamaru was better than I thought (though that was a low bar) but I would only recommend it if you like your cute boys with a side of moe antics. I was going to chide Gina for not knowing one character's name but it's only been a bit more than a week and I can't really remember one either Embarassed Kogitsunemaru? Yamabagiri? That's all I got off the top of my head. Though I can remember what they look like and their personalities.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
What's really bad is that I recently lost my figure virginity and bought the figures for Mikazuki Munechika and Kashu Kiyomitsu! But I still had to look up their names to post this! Laughing I'm hopeless. smh
azhanei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't play the games either, but was excited about the two adaptations. Hanmaru is a nice way to kill 30 minutes, but not engaging enough for me to stay with it. I'm hoping in ufotable's case action-packed also means plot-packed.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti Good to hear that you started collecting figures. I've never bought any Touken Ranbu figures myself but not because I thought they were poorly done. I'm at the end of my collecting for now, for both space and financial reasons (I have two book shelves mostly filled with scale figures).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
I almost killed the order immediately after placing it, and will still probably regret it, because it occurred to me that I'm going to have to put them in storage over the summer or something, since I have no a/c and there are days when it gets over 95F in here (I even have to curtail my computer usage until it at least gets down to 85 in the evenings!). I guess I could put them in coolers and store them in the basement. Very Happy But I can't do that with a very large collection, so... But both of them cost less including shipping than what I'd been seeing around just for Munechika, so I couldn't resist any longer. I've been lusting after that figure since I first saw it nearly a year ago.

Still, I want the other Shinsengumi guy... ::checks wiki:: ...Yamatonokami Yasusada! Don't these guys have nicks to go by? Confused

Anyway, let me just receive the ones I got and see what happens. Smile Watch them get lost or arrive like pancakes. >.<
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
UFOTABLE tho Holy cow the jump from the laid back Hanamaru! and those staffs. Every fighting scenes will be optimized into ufotable level just imagine Mikazuki making a grand entrance and there will be fire trails behind him.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
I am both super excited for this, as I enjoy Touken Ranbu, and pissed off that Kantai Collection only got that odd slice-of-life mix for an anime adaptation while the other major web collection title gets two very disparate anime series.

Anyway, my little gripe about the two franchises aside, this is one of my most anticipated series of 2017. Ufotable consistently puts out great work from an animation stand point, and they've been blessed with some awesome talent on the writing side as well.

Add in a soundtrack from one of the best composers in the industry, and this series should be absolutely awesome when it launches in the Summer.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
That preview looks incredible, as expected of ufotable. I'm getting really excited now.

Been wanting some Tourabu figures myself but they're currently too expensive for me... I'll just have to wait some more, I guess.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Something about Ufotable makes everything they work on look completely and utterly soulless to me.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Why must Ufotable keep wasting their talent making stale and stagnant video game adaptations? They got the talent to revolutionize animation yet after aside from "Garden of Sinners" and "Fate/Zero," they've never made anything that could be close to be considered groundbreaking. They can have all the glorious production values they want, but if they can't hire a decent director and scriptwriter to make a witty show, it's useless. Pretty colors are all Ufotable has and this series will show exactly just that and nothing else.
Miro96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Why must Ufotable keep wasting their talent making stale and stagnant video game adaptations? They got the talent to revolutionize animation yet after aside from "Garden of Sinners" and "Fate/Zero," they've never made anything that could be close to be considered groundbreaking. They can have all the glorious production values they want, but if they can't hire a decent director and scriptwriter to make a witty show, it's useless. Pretty colors are all Ufotable has and this series will show exactly just that and nothing else.

They have good directors and screenwriters. Its just that the source material they are working on that is the make or brake for how good an anime can be. No matter how skilled a director is, there is no way he/she can make a good anime from a bad/game source material.

The reason Ufotable are making these is because they get paid lots of money from big companies who hires Ufotable and if you dont like it well there is always The Heavens Feel trilogy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1