• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
(Originally a Facebook post)

Season two is just as good if not better with detailed and thoughtful direction by Omata, Shinichi and backgrounds and while season one of KonoSuba ended up being my pick for best of 2016 unless something as angry and political as Concrete Revolutio comes out in the ensuing year.

Season two of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju will be my number two.
Also Seki, Tomokazu's performance as Yotarou is a master class in subtlety and emotional complexity.

From stumbling naïve and charmingly dorky to failingly trying to perform an art he loves but unable to get out of a rut. Tomokazu is simply a treat to hear and watch his lines deliverd with Omata's crisp visual story telling.

Also even though she has not had a lot of lines or scenes in the series Yuu Kobayashi's performance as Konatsu is another master class to behold as well. flipping between prickly and wounded flustered and vulnerable While Akira Ishida continues to simply be the best.

In conclusion this is an Adult drama in the absolute best sense of the word.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After persuading the master to become his apprentice, Yotaro went on to refine his craft and become a star, inheriting the name of Sukeroku III.

This kind of makes it sound as if "the master" (Yakumo) became Yotaro's apprentice. ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1