• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Princess Connect! Re:Dive (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote

Season 1 -- Princess Connect! Re:Dive (TV)
Season 2 -- Princess Connect! Re:Dive (TV2)

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy
Themes: demi-humans, monsters

Plot Summary: Yuuki has been summoned to a beautiful land where a lovely young elf woman by the name of Kokkoro has been told to wait for him. She says that he has been sent by Lady Ameth and that it is her job to guide him and protect him but Yuuki can't seem to remember anything besides his name. Then there's Pecorine who shows up and eats all of the food. At least Yuuki's powers seem to be as advertised and he's able to boost Pecorine and Kokkoro's skills so that they can defeat the flesh-eating mushroom monsters that attack them, but other than that, nothing about this adventure seems to be going as planned.

Season 2 -- Jan. 10, 2022 (Mondays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I had heard of this franchise, but really knew nothing other than a bunch of cute girls. But I really enjoyed the first episode, mainly for its humour, having the main character so affected by amnesia that not only is he a clear cliché of a blank slate for much of the episode, but he barely knows how to function. Things like him trying to eat a coin, and the same derpy wolves beating him and trying to drag him off, that is funny. I really hope humour keeps up in however way it can. The was also the girl that was robbed, laughed from not realising that she did not realise she was robbed by them after chasing after them to give the non existent medicine. And the cute mushroom actually turning out to be evil. Who just eats a whole sentient mushroom?
DDPK2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote
Just watched episodes 1 and 2. So far, I guess it's fine so I'll stick around and watch this show for the cuteness and whatever funny and chaotic antics our characters will get their selves into. I also hope that the mobile game of Princess Connect will be localized since I'm interested on playing it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I guess the girls all failed a spot check to not notice that almost every interior surface of the hospital was covered in bloody handprints, even if it did turn out legit. Except for the yandere demon girl that had all the thieves after her.
onegold88

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 am Reply with quote
Your chances improve when the video poker game offers special cases, twofold and triple rewards. A significant detail that we didn't make reference to is that 9/6 compensation out is a definitive opportunities for an assortment of Jacks or Better video poker.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a fun show. I normally don't have high hopes for shows based off of games, but this was a delight. There is clearly much more story to tell so I hope it gets another season. Good humour, a nice character mix, cute girls and, of course, Kokkoro's adorable lisp.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Finally finding out Pecorine's whole deal makes me a little sad that there is not much resolution to it, just a reveal that there is a bit more to her behind her happy mask. The fact that Kyaru was working with the villain came with her character interaction, and at the least knowingly working against her mistress.

I enjoyed things like the aesthetics of the show, it all looked nice, I like little touches like the loading screen like shots, the sort of things that Konosuba had. But to me it also had a couple of problems, that I don't think that it was as consistently funny as I might have wanted it to be, that some parts could feel a bit boring, yet I also think that the overarching story was not focused on enough despite I think that they could be a bit more boring from the more fun parts. I also am not really a person that finds stories about food that interesting, unless it was probably some sort of fantasy food.

My favourite episode would still probably be the hospital episode, as I think that it was the one that most played up ridiculousness the best, how it used the guest characters, and even making parts feel intimidating with the yandere. The ghost and vampire episode was maybe okay also, but not as funny. I love how the show had the running jokes like Yuuki being carried away by monsters to eat, especially Kokkoro's reaction every time, even in the episode where Yuuki was supposed to be on a fake mission with the little girls which I think he claimed that he let that happen to himself. Yuuki though is kind of a little boring himself, even if there is sometimes a sweet side.

My rating is Good (7/10), it is worth seeing, but I also wish that I thought it was better based on how good it looks and how it could often be pretty funny. Maybe a bit trying to fit in a lot of the characters with a plot to them all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:58 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode1

The return of Derpy wolves just made the episode. Yuuki has become more capable, but it really wouldn't be the same series without some creature having a shocking success of trying to make a meal out of him. Also them eating something they really shouldn't, with Karyl realising what she was fed without her knowledge. Got right into the Konosuba brand humour when they were all taken out by the poison, making rainbow puke, although with its own brand of not quite as mean, rather than their kind of dorks.

Also, the heartfelt moment with the emotions of the passed away adventurers. Who it seem he kind of pranked them into going to a giant turtle to lay eggs, when it was male. I kind of hope it might be even better this season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:58 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6

This episode came across as really weird to me, and I don't know if I can quite place it, and not really that it is coming right after a narrative heavy set of episodes.

The weird part about this episode, was that it had super conflicting tones. Now, it not new for this series to be introduced to a new group, which has their own tone to the usual dynamic, but it came across as very glaring this episode, and the fact that it kind of had two different groups on the opposite end of the scope.

On one end we had even wackier group of weirdoes than usual, including an explicit pervert, that even for this franchise wacky. The thought that kept popping in my mind was that was that it was almost not even the sort of thing normal for anime, which probably shouldn't be the case since the clear comparison would be Konosuba. Thinking back more the group included a pervert, someone who causes explosions, a narcissist and a leader who tries to be more mature and dignified than they really are.

The other group is the entire other extreme. It was much more serious with more contrstrained designs, and yet cool and the sense that we are following just one segment of these women's story, of a much more typical fantasy anime that really cares about telling a story.

And then the two or three conflicting sides come together to fight the ghost buster slime monster (green slime animating an armour), with all the conflicting elements mixed together. I might be mistaken here, but I could come up with ideas that these conflicting parts were on purpose, like they were some sort of meta commentary of the series trying to find its footing of being ridiculous slap stick with silly characters, or a more serious series with subdued characters. But the show kind of just existing in a strange limbo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:47 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

Well, that looks like wrapping up of the plot threads, of Pecorine's true identity as a princess, getting her life and parents back, and defeating the major villain. But would have been too sad if she didn't stay Pecorine for a little longer. But I don't remember if it resolved that whole truth of the world thing.

I might be a bit of a bad watcher though, as I still find my biggest investment with the series was with comedy, and this season mostly just seemed less funny. Sad really because the first episode of the season managed to be so funny. It at least finished on a funny note, when they were all apparently about to dig into Karyl's cooking, and we hear a sound effect that implies that it was actually awful. I might have just like some stronger comedy in the rest of the show, even at the cost of the more story centric parts. The Karyl/Pecorine bits are nice though.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), I did really like bits, I just wish it could be the better parts more often.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:23 am Reply with quote
I'm with you, DP... my favourite moments from the show were the lighter, comedic moments, bumping into a variety of cute girls and eating strange foods, etc. The story seems to be over which is too bad because I wouldn't mind spending more time with these characters.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you two, it was the comedy that I liked about this show and the much heavier focus on story made this 2nd season less fun for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
At least you two made me feel a bit less guilty.

A lot of my personal comparison continues to be Konosuba, and it would be like if Konosuba started to focus more on story rather than some of the sort of mean jokes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1