• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shirobako: Collection 1 Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Without a doubt Shirobako is a great and special show. And yes, it sucks that apparently the show was not a big enough hit to justify a fancier release.

I have this set, and, like other Sentai's 12 episodes in 1 BD releases I have watched, I did not notice anything really wrong with the visual quality. I of course prefer to see Sentai use more discs for their sub-only releases, but I rather have a bare bones release than no release at all.

I know that I am not sounding entitled enough, but I cannot blame Sentai (or any other company) for their super bare bones releases when they are only charging the low price of $40 for them.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
An absolutely fantastic show. Like the reviewer, I'm sad that they couldn't get some of the Japanese extras (including the OVA "first episode" of the show-within-a-show Exodus that would go with this collection), but I suppose I can understand that they think it might be niche in the US. It was a definite hit in Japan for an anime, though.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
WHY NO ENGLISH DUB??????????
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Sentai saw fit to dub 50 episodes of Phi Brain, the DVDs of which are selling for $5 a set at Rightstuf, but they couldn't quite think Shirobako would have enough reach to make a dub viable. Not surprisingly, Sentai seems to lack good judgement at times.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Not that I mind, since I think Shirobako has a good cast, but I just imagine that since Sentai licenses about every show that comes out on a given season, they just throw a few darts at a board to decide which ones they're going to actually dub.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Not that I mind, since I think Shirobako has a good cast, but I just imagine that since Sentai licenses about every show that comes out on a given season, they just throw a few darts at a board to decide which ones they're going to actually dub.
Sentai may come back in a few years to it and give it a dub. They did it with Maid sama and more shows. Ever since Sentai build an inhouse recording studio their dub quality became so much better. That's why I hope Sentai will ever be a bit on the same level again as ADV with their amount of dubs they produce each month.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sentai saw fit to dub 50 episodes of Phi Brain, the DVDs of which are selling for $5 a set at Rightstuf, but they couldn't quite think Shirobako would have enough reach to make a dub viable. Not surprisingly, Sentai seems to lack good judgement at times.

I assume Phi Brain was a flop, and that probably was one of the big reasons that caused Sentai to reconsider dubbing 70% of their releases (like they did in 2012 and 2013). The fact that Sentai now only dubs 1/3 of their new releases suggests that they only want to dub sure fire hits.

I could be wrong but aside from the more hardcore fans, I have not heard that much fervor for Shirobako. Sentai probably felt that Shirobako was not popular enough to justify a dub. And I am aware that Sentai occasionally dubs one cour mediocre shows like Wizard Barristers, but I imagine that is subsidized by companies in UK and Australia.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I assume Phi Brain was a flop, and that probably was one of the big reasons that caused Sentai to reconsider dubbing 70% of their releases (like they did in 2012 and 2013). The fact that Sentai now only dubs 1/3 of their new releases suggests that they only want to dub sure fire hits.

I could be wrong but aside from the more hardcore fans, I have not heard that much fervor for Shirobako. Sentai probably felt that Shirobako was not popular enough to justify a dub. And I am aware that Sentai occasionally dubs one cour mediocre shows like Wizard Barristers, but I imagine that is subsidized by companies in UK and Australia.
I dont really think that UK or Aussie licenors have any influnce on that. Hell i dont even think the weekly viewers are important from Europe/Aussie.

Lol, I just bought the both seasons of Phi-brain from rightstuf for 20 dollars, shipping them to Europe right now Razz. I dont know if it is any good, I never watched it (illegal) yet.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I got this a week or so ago and just finished watching it. That office was pure chaos. I wouldn't have lasted a week in any position.

I also didn't see any impairment of the visual quality.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Ever since Sentai build an inhouse recording studio

when did this happen?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
Ever since Sentai build an inhouse recording studio

when did this happen?
I believe it was 2013, maybe 2014.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I read Nick's name, I knew I didn't have to scroll down to see the score. Smile

Michiko Yokote is a fantastic character writer, and Shirobako managed to feel quirky and grounded at the same time. Great show, spot-on review.

Thank you for the little match girl reference, Nick, I am now able to sell this show to my husband who has refused to believe me it would be just up his alley. Ha!
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Shirobako is such a great show.... I almost feel bad for having the caveat that I do, but quite frankly, I think it would have benefited from putting more focus on the fact that they are putting in all this hard work for their production to be illegally downloaded and pirated in large quantities. Granted, many people are still buying anime, but it would be kind of tricky to put in something like that without alienating a large group of the audience.

Otherwise, yes, great character writing.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
Shirobako is such a great show.... I almost feel bad for having the caveat that I do, but quite frankly, I think it would have benefited from putting more focus on the fact that they are putting in all this hard work for their production to be illegally downloaded and pirated in large quantities. Granted, many people are still buying anime, but it would be kind of tricky to put in something like that without alienating a large group of the audience.

Well, I do think that the show (accurately) portrays the staff as being most concerned about the DVD and Blu-Ray sales of Exodus as a sign of whether or not it was a success, regardless of the number of viewers or buzz. It's sobering to think how anime shows are dependent on getting a few thousand to ten thousand (high priced) home video sales to recoup all their other costs. At least the original ones like Exodus that aren't just advertising for some original source material.

I suppose that the show could have been blunter about it, but it really did show how the true economics of anime work.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:

Is piracy as rampant in Japan as it is in the US? Considering how small the affect of the US anime market is on the Japanese market, I can't see rampant US piracy being a big deal to Japanese companies unless it started impacting their domestic market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3