• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Osamu Tezuka's Daughter to Hold Discussion with Black Jack Parody Artist

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
"Drawing parodies of famous works is a risky business, since the original creators or their estate might not appreciate the joke."
Well, the Berne Convention does allow for things related to fair use but how it is applicable is subject to each country's laws. By definition, doujinshi are usu. fan works, though some manga-ka do some of their own series. Under U.S. copyright law, it is case-specific when a fan work is deemed fair use. When it is deemed fair use, it having commercial use can be a delicate matter.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:28 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
"Drawing parodies of famous works is a risky business, since the original creators or their estate might not appreciate the joke."
Well, the Berne Convention does allow for things related to fair use but how it is applicable is subject to each country's laws.

IIRC Japanese copyright law has no exceptions for fair use or parody.
Ashymo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Correction: Tsunogai is female.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's probably beyond the manga-ka's wildest dreams not only to be accepted by the estate, but to be hired by it!
Brutannica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Ashymo wrote:
Correction: Tsunogai is female.

Thank you for pointing this out. The article has been edited.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Wow, it's probably beyond the manga-ka's wildest dreams not only to be accepted by the estate, but to be hired by it!

Yeah, it says a lot for someone who makes parodies to be hired to write official materials. That's really rare, even in places like the United States where parodies have legal protection (not a lot, but it's there).

The guy's style IS spot-on though, and it looks weird to see modern technology like smartphones in Osamu Tezuka's old-time style.

Also, are photo booths with leg lengthening filters really that common in Japan? I had never heard of such a thing, and I think most peolpe here in the US would find it weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1