• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G's New Legend of the Galactic Heroes Anime Recasts Main Characters

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
...why do I have the sneaking suspicion that this is going to be terrible?

Or perhaps a bit more diplomatically, this still feels utterly and completely unnecessary. I can't think of another anime title that can measure up to the original OVA in terms of its sheer scope and ambition. What could a new production possibly hope to add to that accomplishment? What did a 12-year production odyssey manage to leave unsaid?
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I could see recasting Yang as his original Seiyuu is dead though I don't know if his replacement Seiyuu is still working or not but replacing Horikawa as Reinhard oh that is a can of worms I don't want to open just yet. Though as for quality I'm at wait and see right now.

Still no word on when Sentai Filmworks is gonna release the original run?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
Considering that Reinhard's starting age in the story is very young, Horikawa wouldn't really sound particularly youthful and petulant as he should, taking into account how Vegeta sounds nowadays compared to back then. I don't know who would nail it, but Horikawa would basically sound like Vegeta and that's not what I imagine Reinhard as.

I think Nozomu Sasaki should be fine? Haven't heard his most recent roles but eh, who knows. Also I think Masashi Hironaka hasn't been working as of late so...

By the way I love the visual and I'm super excited for the adaptation.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
I'm not particularly thrilled with the concept of recasting the LoGH roles (except where a voice actor has passed), but I at least understand. Even the surviving cast isn't getting any younger. Horikawa's voice is hoarse from years of what I can imagine is a combination of smoking and being Vegeta, and while I'd love to hear him still do it, I can see recasting him. Though I think Toshio Furukawa could probably still play Olivier Poplin. Wakamoto has become kind of a parody of himself in recent years, instead of playing roles he plays "Wakamoto as this role", even when reprising old roles. Though he's still a legend, regardless.

But LoGH classic was a who's who of Japanese voice actors of the 80s and 90s, boasting much of the cast that was also working on Dragon Ball, Bubblegum Crisis, Gundam, and other titles. Furukawa and Yoshiko Sakakibara both were in Bubblegum Crisis AND Zeta Gundam. Horikawa and Furukawa were both DBZ villains-turned-heroes. Both Amuro Ray and Char Aznable's voice actors played parts. Even Kotono Mitsuishi who went onto play Sailor Moon, Misato Katsuragi, Ebichu, Excel, and others played a role in the classic show as Katerose (Karin). Wakamoto, of course, was in nearly everything back then.

That said, maybe this new one should be a who's who of today's voice actors. Junichi Suawabe could be in it, for instance.

I am interested in what this project will be like. I wonder if we'll get it before Sentai finally gets around to releasing the classic one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
It can't be helped, Yang's VA is long dead and all the surviving cast members have gotten way too old. If the new voice actors are competent enough at their job, then I'm fine with it. I'm just glad we finally got news about this. The staff working on this project better not mess this up. Otherwise, it'll be as unnecessary as Top Gun predicted.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
Wow this sounds ambitious and exciting looking forward to this and hopefully this will get Sentai filmworks working faster in the getting the originals out bluray.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
What could a new production possibly hope to add to that accomplishment?

If nothing else, this new production has at least a sporting chance of being produced, licensed and released internationally. By this franchise's standard, I imagine that would count as quite an achievement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Because you're already gearing up for a disappointment. There's no reason it should be terrible. What it's not going to be is like the OVA, so you'd better get used to that idea.

Top Gun wrote:
I can't think of another anime title that can measure up to the original OVA in terms of its sheer scope and ambition.

That said, the "original OVA" is not the source material. Iconic as it may be, it's just an adaptation of the source novels (just as iconic themselves). This new show is going to be an unrelated, new adaptation, not a reboot of the OVA series.

Top Gun wrote:
What could a new production possibly hope to add to that

Uh, a new audience for starters? Getting new people interested in the franchise? The novels are 35 years old, and the OVA series is ancient in anime terms. It's long, slow, has outdated character designs and iffy animation. (Don't get me wrong, I love all of it, but these are all reasons I've seen people cite as to why they don't watch the OVA.) It's just not something most people can "get into". So if they'd like to revitalize interest in the franchise, which is a perfectly good idea, they can't exactly use the OVA for that.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Or perhaps a bit more diplomatically, this still feels utterly and completely unnecessary. I can't think of another anime title that can measure up to the original OVA in terms of its sheer scope and ambition. What could a new production possibly hope to add to that accomplishment? What did a 12-year production odyssey manage to leave unsaid?

I love LOTGH. Top 10 favorite series of all time, not just anime.
But oh lawd does it have a shit ton of stuff that could be improved both technically and from a scene writing/directing standpoint!
There's so much inane shit in it which any anime today would be raked across the coals for doing.
There's certainly a lot of polishing that can be done if the creators of this remake are serious in their dedication.
moonshine101

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
I didn't know Yang's VA died! He was my favorite character in the entire series!

I am excited to see it getting a new anime, but considering how perfect the original OVA series was I am extremely skeptical of this. Frankly because I am so biased towards the original work, I am going to be disappointed regardless, but please for the love of god, keep the original philosophical points the same to keep it consistent and the main reason the reason was so amazing.

LoGH isn't an anime that is well known and is for a niche number of people, but those who have seen it all truly love it. As someone else stated, this is one of my personal favourite series regardless of the form of media. A truly storytelling masterpiece to me. I am planning to rewatch it soon too.

I disagree with people who do not watch the original because it's visual quality was 'lacking'. For its time it was amazing and I still think it. Besides, visuals mean nothing without an interesting concept/story/characters. Better than most of the trash that is re-produced every season.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote
. . . . a September cast announcement is a little late for an October premiere, isn't it?

Dare I hope that this will come after Yoshimasa Hosoya comes back?

Even if not, there needs to be a role for him later in the story. This story really looks like it deserves that something that really no one else has.

I just hope he recovers well, because any good anime deserves him.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
There's certainly a lot of polishing that can be done if the creators of this remake are serious in their dedication.

Again, it's not a remake. It's a new adaptation of the novel series. Obviously they can't exactly pretend that the OVA never happened, but personally I really hope they won't try to make it LoGH OVA#2. For one they already tried that with Tytania and it was a disaster; two, I'd really like this show to be its own thing and not desperately trying to be like something it can't possibly emulate (due to differences in length, staff, etc.).
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure this will be an adaptation of the manga serialized in Young Jump.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
I'm pretty sure this will be an adaptation of the manga serialized in Young Jump.

That's what I had been expecting, too, but the uniform design in the key visual is not from the manga. I like the manga, actually, but if I had to choose I'd much prefer an independent adaptation. (Especially after what happened with Arslan. There the manga was already problematic, and then the anime further turned it into a Saturday morning cartoon...)
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
Horikawa still sounds fine as Heiji in Detective Conan and that's not raspy at all. He can do more than the Vegeta voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3