• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Happened To The "Watch This Program In A Well-Lit Room" Warnings?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Ah the glory days of TV shows having no idea that super fast blinking bright lights could have a negative on the human body. While I have not seen the pokemon episode in question, I did watch GaoGaiGar twice. The early Zonder base scenes should never be watched in a dark room only 6 inches away from your monitor. As in added side effect, after having to adjust my eyes for that show, I found that watching any ecchi shows that use bright lights as censors tend to give me a head ache. I'm ok now and I kind of miss seeing those warnings on every anime I watch.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
"Pokemon Shock" sounds like an awesome title for a pikachu spinoff game.

Just saying.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
My only experience with those warnings were the ones for Steel Angel Kurumi that, for some reason, ADV dubbed alongside the rest of it. I thought they were pretty neat.
PannenkoekenNL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
"4Kids did dub that episode (and slowed down the flashing to make sure it wouldn't cause a problem) but Nintendo insisted that it not be released again."

There's no evidence for that....
pluvia33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, to this day, if there's concern about a particularly action-filled shot causing problems, it will get dimmed in the broadcast version of that episode. (The home video releases are generally as-intended.)

Interesting. I never knew about this. Can anyone confirm that they did this for My Hero Academia? There are a lot of scenes that I've noticed that seem to have been unnaturally darkened. I couldn't figure out if this was some weird stylistic choice or if it was for some other reason. I've even double-checked my TV settings to make sure that wasn't the issue. It'd be nice if it wasn't like that in the Blu-ray release.
Sukigu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
Interesting. I never knew about this. Can anyone confirm that they did this for My Hero Academia? There are a lot of scenes that I've noticed that seem to have been unnaturally darkened. I couldn't figure out if this was some weird stylistic choice or if it was for some other reason. I've even double-checked my TV settings to make sure that wasn't the issue. It'd be nice if it wasn't like that in the Blu-ray release.

Incidentally, even though I don't watch it, I was browsing my news feed earlier today and I noticed it very clearly too in this video at ~0:06. I immediately thought of this incident.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Last year I decided to (stupidly) test for myself how bad "Pokémon Shock" was, so I watch the Porygon episode at night, with all of the lights turned off, but with me being about 3 feet or so from my 39" TV (for safety reason). Even then, though, the strobing effect at the end still resulted in a slight headache right above my right eye for the rest of the night, so I can only imagine if I tried imitating what kids at the time likely did & put myself much closer to the TV. It was some serious stuff, guys, & I'm glad the anime industry self-imposed those restrictions.

At the same time, though, plenty of anime wound up delivering those "well-lit room" messages in amusing ways, with two of my personal favorites being Gintama sarcastically adding in a long "Dayoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!" at the end for emphasis & the gang from Kochikame singing the message to viewers before the start of each episode (which was recreated for the 40th Anniversary TV special last year). Most shows did it in a simple matter-of-fact fashion, but others did have fun with it.
HeroCrests

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Huh, the other day I was watching MÄR with my girlfriend and she commented on how the "Please watch this show in a well lit room and far from the TV" message on every episode was so retro. I kind of assumed it was still on newer anime but cut off by the subbers for whatever reason.

Not that I actually pay mind to it since I usually watch it before sleeping, all tucked up in my bed, lights off and my laptop on my knees. That's bound to give me health issues someday if the show itself doesn't kill me first.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember the first season of Hayate The Combat Butler Anime having those kind of warnings as well and yeah those did kind of disappear
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The real tragedy in all of this was Porygon, of course. Until Nintendo acknowledged its existence again with Global Link, the poor program was doomed to be pokemon non grata by that accursed yellow rat, and Porygon's evolutions have still never appeared in the anime or movies since.
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
It seems the warnings are still there on japanese tv, but tend to almost not appear on streaming platforms like Crunchyroll.
ETX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The only two anime series I can recall that had a warning at the beginning were Fairy Tail and Inuzama Eleven.

Now it seems anime studio's opt to dim flashing bright scenes which while does work, ruins the scenes in the anime. My Hero Academia is a great example that suffers. Really can't wait for the BD's.
SleepyDave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
That's an interesting coincidence, since the last three episode or so of Gintama I watched yesterday had actually this message pop up. But then it's from 2006 again ...
I also remember this popping up in some Episodes of Fairy Tail.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
My favorite versions of these warnings appeared in School Rumble. There's a good example right at the start of episode one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xa-JT6I4_8
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
In current US kids' shows, as well as anime, there's still contrast-reducing and Darkening every time a cartoon character is zapped by the "yeoww!!" strobing-shock of getting struck by lightning or touching the wrong wires.
Doesn't seem to apply to past cartoons, but Pokemon Prevention seems to have become the common production norm on both coasts since 1999. Even if we barely remember why anymore, better safe than sorry.

The warnings seemed to be on kids and afternoon anime anyway, not on late-night otaku shows that knew better.
Even so, asking kids if they were sick and wanted to go home from school might have, erm...inflated the original casualty numbers a bit. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4