• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Take Your Marks Teaser Video Previews Film's 4 Stories

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peebs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Me seeing the headline: ugh, Free! refuses to die

Me after reading the article and watching the video: MA BABIES!!!!11
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, why make the movie of Rin and Haru going to the Olympics that people have been waiting for since the end of season 2 when you can have four random slice of life scenes of no consequence whatsoever Rolling Eyes
BlueOla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Yeah, why make the movie of Rin and Haru going to the Olympics that people have been waiting for since the end of season 2 when you can have four random slice of life scenes of no consequence whatsoever Rolling Eyes

Why put in the effort when 4 OVAs played one after the other will make you a profit? ;D

They never promised any sequel featuring the Olympics, so it's not like they have to go out of their way to make one. Sure, it'd be interesting but I'm not sure what the point would be - the reason they showed Rin and Haru at the Olympics in the finale was to cap off the story somehow. Do we really need to know how they got there? I've got a feeling it's not as interesting a story as people would assume.

I'm only disappointed that it won't be one full movie like Starting Days and instead 4 OVAs. Because yeah, OVAs are cute and all but don't try to sell them to me like they're a movie - they're not.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Sure, it'd be interesting but I'm not sure what the point would be - the reason they showed Rin and Haru at the Olympics in the finale was to cap off the story somehow. Do we really need to know how they got there? I've got a feeling it's not as interesting a story as people would assume.

I mean, I sure as hell would take anything related to Rin and Haru (and Ikuya) going to the Olympics over these random SOL stuff that could probably use literally any group of characters from any series and wouldn't make any difference (searching for an apartment! finding new club members! going to the onsen! it's not like that's been used to death in twenty other anime just this year Rolling Eyes)
BlueOla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
BlueOla wrote:
Sure, it'd be interesting but I'm not sure what the point would be - the reason they showed Rin and Haru at the Olympics in the finale was to cap off the story somehow. Do we really need to know how they got there? I've got a feeling it's not as interesting a story as people would assume.

I mean, I sure as hell would take anything related to Rin and Haru (and Ikuya) going to the Olympics over these random SOL stuff that could probably use literally any group of characters from any series and wouldn't make any difference (searching for an apartment! finding new club members! going to the onsen! it's not like that's been used to death in twenty other anime just this year Rolling Eyes)

Well, you're right. But people will want to see it because it's not "any group of characters" - it's the characters they know and love. SOL has always been part of Free!, and clearly a part that people enjoyed if THAT's what they're bringing back. (Or they're just being cheap, which yeah, I can imagine lol.) I would also prefer some movie with some solid post-series plot, even if I can't think of anything interesting that could be shown in such a setting because season 2 pretty much concluded the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1