• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Delta Gets Theatrical Anime Project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the film adaptation is much more palatable conclusion than the original anime.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I can't understand or imagine that any sane person would've wanted this.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, I liked Ikenai Borderline. Unfortunately I liked very little about the rest of the show. Don't think a movie will help. Instead of wasting time and money on that, could they just give it the Macross II treatment, declare it non-canon, and never speak of it again? That would nice. Hopefully the next series will be A LOT better.
^__^v

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Awesome!

Hopefully the movie ...

- Has better writing and execution of the story, concept, and ideas
- Has characters who are well utilized (not just standing "there"/be ignored/unexplored/be one-noted); have them be more involved in the story and fleshed out more.
- Has a plot/subplots that are better resolved/explored/consistent/focused/connected with each other especially involving the (main) characters; no more meandering, adding more than necessary, and lack of plot follow-ups!

[Edit] Sorry for the many edits!

Last edited by ^__^v on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:07 am; edited 8 times in total
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
It'd be nice if this were a sequel so we could get more of a conclusion, but it's almost certainly just another alternate retelling. Hopefully whatever changes they make are interesting.
Enner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so everyone here so far is a downer on it too. Same.

I really love the Walkure songs, so here's to hoping that a second shot at the story will be what Kawamori needed.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Well, I liked Ikenai Borderline. Unfortunately I liked very little about the rest of the show. Don't think a movie will help. Instead of wasting time and money on that, could they just give it the Macross II treatment, declare it non-canon, and never speak of it again? That would nice. Hopefully the next series will be A LOT better.

Well, the Japanese aren't as vindicative as you could think...
vision33r

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
Consider Macross F when it 1st came out, the writing was also quite sloppy and messy. It had more episodes going for it to make things smoother towards the end. Most Japanese understand the anime is to launch the music and merchandises. They are much more supportive than internet whiners that aren't even supposed to legally view the anime.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Sounds good to me. There's no doubt Delta had some real flaws you could take shots at. But it wasn't a trainwreck like some are trying to imply. The biggest problem was the second half getting bogged down in too much exposition and that left the ending not being very good.

At the same time the show did have some good music. The first half had some good emotional moments. And overall I liked the cast.

If they can use this movie to give it a solid stopping point, I'm all for it.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
They are much more supportive than internet whiners that aren't even supposed to legally view the anime.

I don't recall how the DVDs were handled, but the Blu-rays did come with English subtitles. At least a couple of people here, in addition to myself, might have actually purchased them.

I watched the series via torrented (Or were they downloaded? I don't support streamed fansubs.) fansubs, and kept buying the Blu-rays even though the series was a little underwhelming. Part of my reason for the purchase was just to show support for English subtitles on Japanese releases.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
Consider Macross F when it 1st came out, the writing was also quite sloppy and messy. It had more episodes going for it to make things smoother towards the end.

This doesn't makes any sense at all. Delta had one more episode than Frontier. The fact that Delta wasted its time not doing much for most of its run and a complete lack of compelling protagonists or antagonists probably has a lot more to do with it.

Quote:
Most Japanese understand the anime is to launch the music and merchandises. They are much more supportive than internet whiners that aren't even supposed to legally view the anime.

Bought every JP BD release of Frontier and several of the CDs. Didn't spend a dime on Delta. By any metric Delta did far more poorly than Frontier, reviews, sales of BDs, sales of music, etc. It just wasn't very good, and its relative lack of success probably wasn't very good for the franchise.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:51 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
It'd be nice if this were a sequel so we could get more of a conclusion, but it's almost certainly just another alternate retelling. Hopefully whatever changes they make are interesting.

I had the same thought. Delta didn't exactly end per se, since we never got to see Lady M again. And what kind of plot revolves around her. Which is a nice hole for a second season or a movie. But as you hinted, it likely will be another movie that's just a series retelling.

Right there is a good question for the ANN Answerman: Why do the Japanese like doing movies that retell a series than making original movies?
^__^v

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
Sounds good to me. There's no doubt Delta had some real flaws you could take shots at. But it wasn't a trainwreck like some are trying to imply. The biggest problem was the second half getting bogged down in too much exposition and that left the ending not being very good.

At the same time the show did have some good music. The first half had some good emotional moments. And overall I liked the cast.

If they can use this movie to give it a solid stopping point, I'm all for it.

Everyone has different tastes/values. It may not be a complete trainwreck, but others may beg to differ. The biggest problem you are referring to has to do more with the execution. (From what I gathered, others have their fair share, but this one appears to have more of them.) Consecutive expositions are just one of many Delta's flaws and are one of the victims of it. Perhaps they could have been spread out and/or introduced earlier. However, the series decided to pad the remaining half of the 26 episode run with heavy expositions. Some of them are still setting up the backstory and characterization thus partially stalling the overall story to a snail pace. That is really late in the game and, in addition to other hanging/unresolved subplots, had to be abandoned in the last messy episode because it is already at the end of the show. Delta is not like some other unrelated works animating a single arc of a bigger story.

Other than what I stated in my previous post which the movie would hopefully fix most them - a more polished version than its rough draft (TV version), there are positives like some of the events occuring in the first half, character designs, concept and ideas, and a few songs.

Last edited by ^__^v on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 pm; edited 9 times in total
Airiiin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
Will they give Mikumo, Reina and Makina any depth this time or will they still be one dimensional boring characters?
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:14 am Reply with quote
Delta was horribly done. It had alot potential, but then it just went into this weird direction with it's characters.

Frankly, i hated the series. It squandered the setting set by Frontier. Frontier TV may have been hit and miss but it was more solid than this thing.

To me, Delta was more a spiritual successor to Macross 7 than Frontier was. 7 was more a parody / comedy scifi verses Frontier's hard scifi theme without music literally undermining the entire focus of the series like Delta did. Evil or Very Mad

If Macross (the original) was like Delta, where every aspect of entire series (Delta) depended on a Idol group to sing all the enemies away was a thing, i properly be not following the series for last 3 decades. The variable fighters (aka Valkyries) engagements were waste too sadly. Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2