• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Keiichi Sigsawa

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
I really like Alternative GGO so it was nice to see a question about it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Great interview.

Can't wait for the new show to start.
Robiii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
So its not a sequel but a "remake", if thats what u wanna call it?
Either way im quite disappointed. Screw remakes
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kino herself is the heart and soul of the story to many people. People often talk about how unique she is because she doesn't care if people see her as either male nor female, only "Kino". How does Kino see herself in regards to her gender, since she doesn't seem to act as either a girl or boy?

Kino really doesn't think of herself too deeply when she uses pronouns. Depending on the circumstances, she may use "boku" or "atashi", it kinda depends on the situation she finds herself in. In the first story, Kino always referred to herself as "boku", because it was meant to be like a little secret. At the end of the story, it was treated as a reveal to surprise the readers, because they had probably assumed someone using "boku" was a guy. So it was more of a trick at the beginning. It's not that I wanted to write a story about a girl who lives like a boy directly, it was just an interesting way to start the story, and her character's personality has continued that way since then.

Of course there was a reason for the order of the stories from vol.1, and yet Toyopop made a stupid decision to rearrange the order by making "Land of Adults" first. Back then publishing EN translated LN wasn't common so it's understandable to change the order or not to use the JP cover illustration. Still I couldn't help feeling it was disrespectful.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:
So its not a sequel but a "remake", if thats what u wanna call it?
Either way im quite disappointed. Screw remakes

I'm confused by this statement. Not all remakes are bad and/or disappointing. Who knows? Maybe this remake may end up becoming one that's good. Let's at least wait until the show comes out before we can judge it fully, hmm?

Anyway, wonderful interview. He seems like someone I would greatly enjoy having a discussion with in person if given the opportunity. Excited for the show in Fall and I hope that someone can legally pick up the light novels again as I'm very interested (as well as many others) in reading them.
cannonfodder4000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I hate that they recast Kino. No reason for it.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
cannonfodder4000 wrote:

We don't even know if Ai Maeda would be available 14 years later. I kinda doubt it. It was her only anime voice acting overall and she isn't a voice actress to begin with.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I really wish someone would pick up the light novels, even if only for digital release. I have the Tokyopop release of the first one and was saddened it was the only one.

Looking forward to the new series, and even if its a remake you have to admit time hasn't done the old series any favours. I have the old ADV DVD release, though ADV's cackhanded trailers put me off it for years.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Saying that is a remake is a bit strange, because unless they are doing the stories covered in the old Anime, there would be no sign that it is a remake. Aside from the prequel episodes, there is no beginning or end, you could shuffle all the episodes and it would make no difference.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Saying that is a remake is a bit strange, because unless they are doing the stories covered in the old Anime, there would be no sign that it is a remake. Aside from the prequel episodes, there is no beginning or end, you could shuffle all the episodes and it would make no difference.

They literally said they were doing that in the interview.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to assume if they are re-telling some stories from the original, they will probably choose those that are pretty important to Kino's character, such as "Land of Adults," or some of the others that stand out. If they are planing to remake it for a new audience, I could see why they would want to include certain chapters.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Twelve years have passed...... Shocked

Time flies by.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
cannonfodder4000 wrote:

We don't even know if Ai Maeda would be available 14 years later. I kinda doubt it. It was her only anime voice acting overall and she isn't a voice actress to begin with.

Not to mention one of the biggest reasons this is being made at all is because Aoi Yuki WANTS to play Kino. They even vaguely noted this in the interview. So, yeah... uh.. that's kind of a big reason.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...a short picture drama on Nico Nico Douga with Aoi Yūki doing the voice acting, and it was a hit. Based on that, he wanted to make a new series with Aoi Yūki playing the part of Kino.

I assume this was the Majority rule drama thing last year? When she appeared as a guest host there, Aoi Yūki did say jokingly, "C'mon rich people, give us a season 2!". I guess I have her and that producer to thank then Anime hyper

Quote:
It's not that I wanted to write a story about a girl who lives like a boy directly, it was just an interesting way to start the story, and her character's personality has continued that way since then.

And this is why I feel sad when the only thing people praise Kino no Tabi for is its "androgynous" main character. Confused
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

They literally said they were doing that in the interview.
It sounded like he was saying no, without directly saying it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2