• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Videos Preview Mantine Surfing, Returning Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I really like the Mantine Surf feature; that looks like a lot of fun!
And there's a lot of focus on Lillie in her "evolved form". I really hope we'd actually see her fight alongside us, and not just be a background character essentially.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
With Mantine Surf being a trend, surfing through the Alola seas has been made much more fun! Surprised
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The more teasers they drop, the more I get the impression that US/UM is the game GameFreak really wanted S/M to be initially, but either didn't have the time or resources to manage. While I was initially thinking this might be the first main series game I don't pick up either version of, for various reasons, I'm getting more and more eager to see what other additions they made to make Alola even more interesting.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
^ Same. S/M was the first Pokemon game that disappointed me and felt like a huge step back from X/Y. I think I clocked in about 40 hours into Sun before calling it quits out of boredom and hatred of Lillie. By comparison, I easily spent a good 200+ on X.
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
^ Same. S/M was the first Pokemon game that disappointed me and felt like a huge step back from X/Y. I think I clocked in about 40 hours into Sun before calling it quits out of boredom and hatred of Lillie. By comparison, I easily spent a good 200+ on X.

Interesting. I'm of the opposite opinion as I still greatly enjoyed Sun. I feel like X/Y relied too much on soulless, rose tinted nostalgia between returning starters and too familiar story beats (*coughtSnorlaxcough*) and had little, if anything to offer in terms of endgame content. Many people think S/M were too easy, but this was also, to my knowledge, the first time any non-facility trainers had a semi-decent AI and tactics, as well as certain sections that made a significant jump in difficulty. S/M not only gave Pokemon a revitalising jolt by shaking up the status quo with the removal of gyms and a surprising new approach to the League, but also streamlined the game with things people have been asking for for decades, like the removal of HMs. Both games were relatively well paced if you don't use the EXP Share, and perhaps harder personally since I've taken to making my first play through of a new gen using only new Pokemon. That said, X/Y give you far too many handouts in the form of not 1, but up to 3 starter Pokemon if you bought it during early release and got the Mega Evolving Torchic. Done right, that's a solid half of your party sorted, all of which can cover the other's weaknesses. The one thing I will say about X though is Super Training, and it's a feature sorely missed in S/M.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

Interesting. I'm of the opposite opinion as I still greatly enjoyed Sun. I feel like X/Y relied too much on soulless, rose tinted nostalgia between returning starters and too familiar story beats (*coughtSnorlaxcough*) and had little, if anything to offer in terms of endgame content. Many people think S/M were too easy, but this was also, to my knowledge, the first time any non-facility trainers had a semi-decent AI and tactics, as well as certain sections that made a significant jump in difficulty. S/M not only gave Pokemon a revitalising jolt by shaking up the status quo with the removal of gyms and a surprising new approach to the League, but also streamlined the game with things people have been asking for for decades, like the removal of HMs. Both games were relatively well paced if you don't use the EXP Share, and perhaps harder personally since I've taken to making my first play through of a new gen using only new Pokemon. That said, X/Y give you far too many handouts in the form of not 1, but up to 3 starter Pokemon if you bought it during early release and got the Mega Evolving Torchic. Done right, that's a solid half of your party sorted, all of which can cover the other's weaknesses. The one thing I will say about X though is Super Training, and it's a feature sorely missed in S/M.

I feel the same about X and Y, it felt like a transition game from going to 2D to 3D and explains why they didn't bother with revisiting Kalos. I feel they were testing the kinks. Soulless is a great word, beautiful region but there was nothing in there, similar story beats and trends plus the whole friends thing was 100% annoying. 1 or 2 rivals is enough not 4!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1