• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Seven Months With Nintendo Switch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Ys VIII's translation work has certainly raised some ire, especially by one person who loudly declared that he'll wait for a fan translation instead if NISA's new patch doesn't fix the "major problems" with the text. I'm still playing the game regardless of the Big Hole issues, and I'll gladly wait for the new translation patch, but I'm not going to turn this into a "NISA sucks!" rant like so many others have (this includes Mr. I'll Wait for a Fan Translation Patch, who has done a little too much whining in recent weeks). I wouldn't trust a fan translation anyway.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the portability option is a feature you can't get anywhere else.

Except, you know, the Vita. Handheld indies has been it's thing for years.
redcar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't say too much for fear of throwing stones in my glass writer's house, but people expected better.

Anyone who knew anything about NIS America's history of shoddy localizations fully expected Ys VIII to be treated similarly. I'm guessing that if there were people who expected better, they were fans of XSEED who were unfamiliar with NISA's questionable track record Laughing

As for the apology and rework, I'll believe it when I see it. If they really are turning over a new leaf, that's great! But I'm not very inclined to believe it at this point. Also, the fact that they want a thorough retranslation done in a few months' time doesn't really speak loudly to me that they've finally learned their lesson about putting the proper time and resources into translation efforts.
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
redcar wrote:
Also, the fact that they want a thorough retranslation done in a few months' time doesn't really speak loudly to me that they've finally learned their lesson about putting the proper time and resources into translation efforts.
Thing is, Ys fans are used to the great translation/localization made by XSEED.

It felt like NISA stole Ys 8 from them in order to make a quick buck and get a better relationship with Falcom. Their translation failed to be the quality of XSEED, so fans made petitions just so NISA makes a better one. (And hopefully never let NISA touch their game again.)

Tokyo Xanadu,made by Falcom, was translated by Aksys. As far as I know, the translation wasn't too good, too. They haven't made the same treatment as NISA for it.
redcar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
It felt like NISA stole Ys 8 from them in order to make a quick buck and get a better relationship with Falcom.

I'm sure that's part of it, but it takes two to tango. From what I heard it sounded like NISA made a pitch to Falcom and the latter chose them over XSEED due to NISA having more experience in localizing to consoles. It was a value judgment on Falcom's part, and while it may have been of arguable benefit in certain other areas, it certainly was not when it came to accuracy of translation.

Cetais wrote:
Tokyo Xanadu,made by Falcom, was translated by Aksys. As far as I know, the translation wasn't too good, too. They haven't made the same treatment as NISA for it.

That's likely because the negative Japanese news coverage bothered Falcom, something that didn't occur with Tokyo Xanadu. NISA doesn't want to jeopardize their new relationship, so when Falcom complained about the localization NISA was spurred to action. But I suspect that NISA's problems with localization probably stem from unreasonable deadlines and not enough resources; I find myself dubious that retranslating Ys VIII with even more unreasonable deadlines is going to help things. But who knows, maybe the increased scrutiny from a group that actually matters (i.e. not just the fans) will get them to up their game.

As for moving forward, I remember reading somewhere that Falcom is still on good relations with XSEED despite favoring NISA for Ys VIII. Hopefully XSEED will at least get to keep on chugging away at Legend of Heroes. The thought of NISA even attempting to tackle translation projects in the magnitude of Sora SC is Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of things getting ported over to the Switch, I'm probably the only one who'll care about this, but it seems Farsight Studios has finally acknowledged the Switch's success and is finally working on a Switch port for Pinball Arcade, including the Stern Pinball Arcade spinoff.

Also, South Park's humor is only tasteless if you don't pull off the disguise. I can't say much about the video games, but the TV show itself, for most of its history, has been pretty intelligent humor masquerading as toilet humor and vulgar humor.
dkbailey64

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Speaking of things getting ported over to the Switch, I'm probably the only one who'll care about this, but it seems Farsight Studios has finally acknowledged the Switch's success and is finally working on a Switch port for Pinball Arcade, including the Stern Pinball Arcade spinoff.

Holy cow yes.

Please consider this an unofficial revision to the article: the Switch is now the greatest video game platform of all time.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
The author’s a smark.

Fractured but Whole looks amazing but it looks a lot more complex, going for a full tactical RPG

Is it on the Switch? After Wolfenstein and Doom everyone is out of excuses.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, WWE 2K18 is out, but I've made the all-important transition of playing Fire Pro and watching NJPW so, you know, whatever.

I commend you! The progress being made with each fortnightly Fire Pro patch is roughly akin to the annual improvements from the stale ''Dub-Dubby' franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
dkbailey64 wrote:
Holy cow yes.

Please consider this an unofficial revision to the article: the Switch is now the greatest video game platform of all time.

Don't celebrate just yet though: It took a few years for the Wii U version to come out as it kept getting rejected due to bugs and glitches and was never updated with more content after that. Farsight made the announcement, but it could still be years down the line before it actually exists.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Also, South Park's humor is only tasteless if you don't pull off the disguise. I can't say much about the video games, but the TV show itself, for most of its history, has been pretty intelligent humor masquerading as toilet humor and vulgar humor.

Well sure aside from the bits alluding to Cartman's mom being a slut (then being revealed to be a hermaphrodite), Kyle's mom being whiny (which I can't remember was apart of both the movie and TV show or only the former), them once having a female character named Ms. Chokesumdik and up until they stopped doing it after about or 9 or so seasons Kenny's deaths.

Which I don't think would pass as intelligent humor.

Special mention also goes to the Scott Tenorman Must Die episode.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Well sure aside from the bits alluding to Cartman's mom being a slut (then being revealed to be a hermaphrodite), Kyle's mom being whiny (which I can't remember was apart of both the movie and TV show or only the former), them once having a female character named Ms. Chokesumdik and up until they stopped doing it after about or 9 or so seasons Kenny's deaths.

Which I don't think would pass as intelligent humor.

Special mention also goes to the Scott Tenorman Must Die episode.

It mainly got started in Season 3 with "Rainforest Schmainforest" (which was simultaneously a criticism of overenthusiasm for conservationism without checking the risks and dangers involved and the ability to spin messages to make anything sound dangerous, the former of which was also addressed in "Jackovasaurs"), but South Park, since then, has become one of the major shows on American television to have social and political commentary, using its TV-MA status to address points that most other shows cannot. Episodes I can think of include "The Breast Cancer Show Ever" (lampooning radio and television pundits who lash out at things, pointing out that they themselves aren't actually helping anyone and are actually incredibly irresponsible), "Chef Goes Nanners" (pointing out that people aren't born racist but are taught to be that way), "Medicinal Fried Chicken" (highlighting the abuse of medical marijuana and urging clinics to do better screening of potential patients), "Wacky Molestation Adventure" (satirizing the ease at which an adult can be labeled a pedophile), "Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy" (a discussion of the double standard in student-teacher sexual relationships when the teacher is female and the student is male), "You're Getting Old" (arguing that cynicism does not make you a better or smarter person, it just makes you hated by everyone around you), "Margaritaville" (proposing that what really helps an economy recover is promoting spending money, not hoarding it), and "Freemium Isn't Free" (explaining how freemium games work and how they get people addicted).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm surprised that NISA's work of Ys VIII ended up being a disaster, having known that they've been dishing out questionable translations for years (with a few exceptions).

Maybe it's just myself, but I have a feeling that this "Game Boy Classic" Nintendo seems open to producing won't come as a miniature version of the original handheld, but will simply be a modern-day version of it...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Except, you know, the Vita. Handheld indies has been it's thing for years.

Oof, don't remind me. I admire the Switch for a few reasons but some of its praise confounds me and the "wow, finally portable indies!" comments I see on Negaf is definitely one of them. And because apparently Vita fans hadn't been kicked enough while we're down, they actually took the "you bought a Vita!" gif (has a little anime girl dancing with a Vita) and changed it to Switch, which doesn't even make sense as Vita has tons of anime-inspired titles while the Switch doesn't have much in that department yet.

Yeah, as a Wii U owner the Switch has less value for me for now. I've got Breath of the Wild for Wii U (which I'm glad I didn't buy a Switch just for this as the game is pretty good but not wowing me like a lot of people) and while I'm sure Mario Kart and Pokken offer new content I can't justify throwing down that much money for what will mostly be the same game right now. There is Splatoon 2, but honestly I still throw so much time into Overwatch and Friday the 13th that I don't really see myself adding another online multiplayer game into the mix for a while.

Honestly, that's the thing, as a PS4 owner there is just so much that came out this year and I'm still playing catch up (just finished Resident Evil 7 today, and boom Evil Within 2 is out!). When I hear about new Switch games coming out I look forward to playing them in the future but there's still so much PS4 left to play and in terms of new games PS4 still seems to be getting even more for now. And I can't get excited for indie ports of games I finished already. For example I already finished Oxenfree and if I did want a portable version I would rather have it on my Vita as the size makes it much more convenient to take with me in public than the Switch's size.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
There isn't anything I want this year for the Switch that I can't get on PS4, what it needs is Smash Bros, a 2D Mario game, and Mario Maker Switch. I also want Octopath Traveler as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2