Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Just Because!


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2524
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I was really impressed by both first episode, I'm hoping they don't try to become too plot heavy and lose the little touch of slice of life that help make the character feel more believable/alive. I also really appreciate the lack exposition dialogue, things are mostly inferred as the scene naturally play out, we see that Eita likes Natsume and that Natsume likes Haruto trough a nice flashback where no one say what they feel but everything is implied trough nice directing.

Really looking forward to the rest of this, probably my most interesting show of the season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20224
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Yep, as expected, Nick is totally nailing it. In just two episodes I am very invested in these characters. I care how Haruto and Haruki's relationship turns out, for example. That's where the intensity of the show comes in: not from flashy melodramatics, but from solid character work. I also like how populated this show feels. When we go home with our main characters, they actually have full families. What a nice change of pace.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Grendel8
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 06 Jun 2015
Posts: 57
Location: 41°51'0.11" N -87°39'0.18" W
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Very good review by Nick as always. Thank you.
A small mistake in the article shows this anime as streaming on Crunchyroll. Instead it should be streaming on Amazon Anime Strike (3) if I am not mistaken. Not trying to nitpick, but I just happened to notice that. Thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JacobC
ANN Past Staff


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3727
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Grendel8 wrote:
Very good review by Nick as always. Thank you.
A small mistake in the article shows this anime as streaming on Crunchyroll. Instead it should be streaming on Amazon Anime Strike (3) if I am not mistaken. Not trying to nitpick, but I just happened to notice that. Thanks again.


Whoops! This has been fixed, with the proper link.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4425
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The second episode was still solid, but I did not like it as much as the first one. I am okay with this anime just being a teen romance, but I hope the show spends a significant amount of time in the high school setting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8605
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the edge of young adulthood, with almost the entirety of the life we've known behind us, we often cling to such experiences. No one wants to waste their youth. Everyone wants to live memorably, to build dramatic memories to look back on, to have fond and distinct feelings of their early years.


I disagree. While this sentiment shows up occasionally in anime, in real life I've never heard it expressed by anyone who was not well beyond high school and looking back through a lens of nostalgia. Very few high school students (or anyone for that matter) engage in activities with the intent of making memories. They do things because they have to or because they are enjoyable and they want to have fun. The memories are a side effect they don't recognize until years later. In my experience the things you remember about high school most vividly are those involving strong (mostly negative) emotions.

Further, few if any high school students have either the experience or the insight to realize just how completely their lives will change after graduation. I'm not really sure where this idea came from that high school was supposed to be fun. For most it is just something to be endured (or in some schools survived) Which at the time seems like it will be forever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8572
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Further, few if any high school students have either the experience or the insight to realize just how completely their lives will change after graduation. I'm not really sure where this idea came from that high school was supposed to be fun. For most it is just something to be endured (or in some schools survived) Which at the time seems like it will be forever.

While I don't disagree with anything you've said here, I think I was one who did realize everything would change, and I was utterly depressed about the idea of graduating. It's probably because I was fairly social from grades 1-5, but in 6th grade we consolidated with a larger school, and since they outnumbered us about 4:1, we were left trying to fit into the already established groups from the other school. I never successfully made that transition. And just as I had finally sort of found my niche, it was time to graduate and I knew I was doomed. I wasn't wrong about that. Smile

Anyway, why is Natsume the only one referred to in the review by her surname? And why do all the girls have red hair?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3608
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Anyway, why is Natsume the only one referred to in the review by her surname? And why do all the girls have red hair?!


I think it is because none of the characters refer to her by her given name IIRC. That will probably change in the future. Ena, the photographer girl, is blonde but I couldn’t tell you why the others have been red haired, aside from the character designers preferences potentially.

———

I don’t always agree with Nick, but this is one I’m glad he’s on. He makes a better case for the show than I could.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8605
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

My experience was much like yours, we moved to a different state the summer before fifth grade. I was in three different schools in the next four years. The main difference was that I am not by nature sociable and I never did find a place to belong. In leaving high school, I did not leave behind anything I regretted at the time or at any time since.

College was rather fun though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8572
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Anyway, why is Natsume the only one referred to in the review by her surname?

I think it is because none of the characters refer to her by her given name IIRC.

Well somebody did, that's why I know her name is Mio. And they all usually use each other's last names, except Haruto and Eita to each other. I didn't even know Komiya's name was Ena till the review, not that I care what she's called at all, since I hate her guts. The only thing I can see that's different about Mio is that she's the only one who uses her full name on LINE. There the others all use just their first names.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2524
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
My experience was much like yours, we moved to a different state the summer before fifth grade. I was in three different schools in the next four years. The main difference was that I am not by nature sociable and I never did find a place to belong. In leaving high school, I did not leave behind anything I regretted at the time or at any time since.

College was rather fun though.


Pretty much same for me, I didn't have bad experience in school, but I mostly avoided mingling with people (by choice) so when it was time to leave I wasn't regretting it, I was just looking forward to the next stuff (studying something I actually wanted to study and finally having some disposable income). I saw some of my school friend after, but once you're out of school it become really obvious you have almost nothing in common and where just together because of the arbitrary way class are made up, so I never really felt a need to "form bond that will last forever" and stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoldCrusader



Joined: 25 Apr 2017
Posts: 974
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Really liking the first 2 episodes so far. It reminds me of my 2 last years of High school which have to my own 2 best school years of my life.

I really connect with the events so far and boy are the characters endearing. Izumi so far is my favorite. He just has that little something. I feel that his relationship with Natsume will be something great.

Great review Nick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Thacker
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 795
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I disagree. While this sentiment shows up occasionally in anime, in real life I've never heard it expressed by anyone who was not well beyond high school and looking back through a lens of nostalgia. Very few high school students (or anyone for that matter) engage in activities with the intent of making memories. They do things because they have to or because they are enjoyable and they want to have fun. The memories are a side effect they don't recognize until years later. In my experience the things you remember about high school most vividly are those involving strong (mostly negative) emotions.

Further, few if any high school students have either the experience or the insight to realize just how completely their lives will change after graduation.


I strongly disagree. There are some people who feel as you do, and quite a lot who feel the opposite. The only thing I find consistent is that the vast majority of people believe that their own feelings and experiences regarding high school (or really, near anything else) are nearly universal, and have a difficult time appreciating the other view.

We could see that in the Preview Guide for this show, which was amusingly split between reviewers who said "I didn't enjoy high school, therefore I am unable to appreciate this show or feel empathy for those whose experiences are different," and reviewers who apparently had more fond memories of high school and thus appreciated the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8605
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
@John Thacker

I think you missed the point of my first paragraph. I'm not saying that no one enjoys high school. There is no question that many of my classmates did. What I was trying to say was that few, if any, go to school with the specific intent of "making memories" or "creating bonds with classmates". The "glory days" of high school are not something you recognize as they are happening. All of the people I knew were simply living life as it came at them. Plans for the future involved getting into college or getting a job not reliving high school.

"Glory Days" are something you recognize when thinking of the past. Usually through a thick cloud of nostalgia and usually because your subsequent life sucks in comparison. I probably confused things by pointing out that in my case, life got a whole lot better after I got out of high school.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR



Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 986
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
After the visual mess that was the second episode (5 storyboard artists, 3 unit directors and 7 animation directors), I really appreciated the third episode's consistent tone and animation quality. I hope the rest of the show is more like this, but after director Atsushi Kobayashi's recent Twitter tantrum, I'm not sure what to expect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group