• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How the Wake Up Girls! Turn Disaster Into Dreams

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
I've been trying to tell people for years that They Should Be Watching Wake Up Girls. Chris nails why.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
I was there for that awkward as hell miniconcert at ACen but unfortunately they didn't sing any other songs. They sang Tachiagare (after a few minutes of sound issues) then left the stage. The audience shouted for an encore and they came back and sang... Tachiagare for the second time.

I guess they were contracted not to sing anything else or something. Would have loved to see 7 Girls War live but it was still a good time.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I was there for that awkward as hell miniconcert at ACen but unfortunately they didn't sing any other songs. They sang Tachiagare (after a few minutes of sound issues) then left the stage. The audience shouted for an encore and they came back and sang... Tachiagare for the second time.

Did you leave early? I also distinctly remember them performing a cover of “Hare Hare Yukai” from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya… which makes no damn sense until you remember that Yamakan was there.

BTW, since WUG! didn’t make the cut for weekly streaming reviews, I’ve been doing my own reviews of the new season over on my Tumblr, if anyone’s interested.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
I didn't leave the concert early but may have forgotten about Hare Hare Yukai. I was there to hear WUG songs and not anime covers so I doubt it registered for me. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the Q&A right after the concert so if they sang anything a capella or something there then I missed it.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Wake Up Girls is unique in that it is the only idol anime that shows the ugly side of the business. The arrogant producers, the sleazy photo shoots, and the lousy side jobs. I think that it is important to show the bad stuff since idol anime is usually sugar coated fluff that makes it look like a great industry.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching the first Wake Up Girls! movie project but found the animation too terrible for words... which is total hyperbole because I explain it with a few choice ones: two minute walk cycle of the entire cast in a row. Gah.

Idols, music, and a scathing view on the industry, fine. Animation budget, gah.

Quote:
Its production problems became obvious as the TV series went on, with fans noticing an ongoing deterioration in the animation.

It gets worse?!
Nate148

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
try still shot of city with dialogue for about a minute 3 times in the same ep. Show is great but my god they have No Money
Kovaelin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
WUG isn't flashy, but that's the charm that appeals to people. There are a lot of awkward moments that they don't shy away from. I still think the whole idol thing is really shallow, but I couldn't help but to root for them. Between seeing them succeed or seeing their dreams crushed, I'd rather they succeed.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I tried watching the first Wake Up Girls! movie project but found the animation too terrible for words...
It gets worse?!

If you're referring to WUG Seven Idols, then that actually had a decent budget and fluid animation. It's the only occurence of really nice looking dance performances in the entire franchise (the two sequel movies were just a minor step above the TV series but still rather terrible in animation quality)

So yeah, if you thought Seven Idols was bad then it gets much, much worse from there.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If you're referring to WUG Seven Idols, then that actually had a decent budget and fluid animation. It's the only occurence of really nice looking dance performances in the entire franchise (the two sequel movies were just a minor step above the TV series but still rather terrible in animation quality)

I think the last portion of the "Beyond The Bottom" performance (after the dialogue cutaways) is quite nice, but if I have to resort to praising 45 seconds out of two one-hour movies… yeaahhh.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I think the last portion of the "Beyond The Bottom" performance (after the dialogue cutaways) is quite nice, but if I have to resort to praising 45 seconds out of two one-hour movies… yeaahhh.

If the only thing you're talking about is 45 seconds of animation out of an hour's worth of story... yeaahhh.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
If the only thing you're talking about is 45 seconds of animation out of an hour's worth of story... yeaahhh.

Not the "only" thing; I was just responding to Megiddo's thread specifically on animation quality. I quite like the story work in the second and third movies and how they greatly expand the scope of the WUG franchise: giving us hints of Tange & Matsuda's musical backgrounds, ousting Shiocchi from I-1 so she's in Mayu's shoes as the center of another idol unit out in the sticks, putting I-1 on the defensive as their sales start to fall, etc.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

Not the "only" thing; I was just responding to Megiddo's thread specifically on animation quality.

My apologies, I just get grumpy because discussion on WUG never fail to devolve into griping about the animation. Yeah, animation is important from anime, can't argue that... But it's not the only thing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the new series and how it's trying to get the girls to improve their talents individually in preparation for their national tour. WUG seems to be the closest to the actual idol industry which gives it a sense of authenticity that no other idol series can manage.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Excellent feature Chris. Definitely nailed about everything I love this series for. I wish I could get more people interested in this franchise. It kind of makes me hate fandom sometimes... it says a lot about the superficiality of many peoples' taste in anime. I can hardly judge them. This is entertainment, after all. But I wish people were more interested in an important story, rather than just coming to anime for shallow entertainment. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2