• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Air Black Clover Anime Starting December 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
They sure are trying their goddamn best to make this the next Naruto.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, this is exactly what Toonami needed. (not)

Man, CR desperately want this to become the next Naruto or something like that, but it won't.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
well looks like toonami is going away for a while again
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
DatRandomDude wrote:
They sure are trying their goddamn best to make this the next Naruto.

With MHA going strong I don't even know why they pushing this so hard.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Well, it wasn't a move I was expecting, but I'm fine with this. Hopefully my husband and I will like it! Although it will take a couple of times of getting use to with the schedule, since he might be wondering "What happened to JoJo?" until he remembers that it's on 30 minutes later.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I do not think that Cartoon Network is doing Funimation or Crunchyroll or the Black Clover production committee any favors, if they are scheduling is because it has very high ratings and I can see how, many adults thinks that the main character is obnoxious and that is a plus for many youngsters.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
One of this season most popular show gets on Toonami, I'm not super surprised. It fits with the kind of show they like to have. The DUB is really good too, one of FUNimation's best effort easily. Dallas Reid makes a really really good Asta.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

Quality-wise, you have a point. But considering the poor retention between DBZ Kai and JoJo in the ratings... I'll have to disagree with your "not" in that regard.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I get that Funi spent a lot of money on this and needs it to succeed...but the show just isn't good.
emory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Huh. Well, it wasn't a move I was expecting, but I'm fine with this. Hopefully my husband and I will like it! Although it will take a couple of times of getting use to with the schedule, since he might be wondering "What happened to JoJo?" until he remembers that it's on 30 minutes later.

Jojo isn't changing times.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised. I always figured My Hero Academia would get on Toonami first, not Black Clover.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

Man, CR desperately want this to become the next Naruto or something like that, but it won't.

Why would one of the show that brings the most traffic for CR not be what Toonami needs?

Also people here like to scream that Black Clover is bad but it seems reviews, like the one here on ANN, don't seem to be in agreement.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
This over MHA? Crunchyroll is either paying them top dollar for it or they somehow think people like this anime. I'm kind of annoyed at how out-of-touch they seem to the general reception.

Also, a 51 episode series is the last thing Toonami needs right now. A lot of people were getting happier that they were starting to show shorter series.

EDIT:
GoldCrusader wrote:
Also people here like to scream that Black Clover is bad but it seems reviews, like the one here on ANN, don't seem to be in agreement.

I wouldn't call "Black Clover" bad, it's just profoundly average. It follows the shounen formula to a tee. And even if it's doing well in streaming numbers, it's not a smash hit. During MHA, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Konosuba, Re:Zero, whatever, there was constant fanart, discussion, etc, that was unavoidable all over twitter, reddit, whatever. Black Clover doesn't have that besides memes about Asta's voice and the hate obsession surrounding it right now that's sort of died.

Last edited by FlowerAiko on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Great, another show on Toonami I won't watch.
When are they gonna get Mob Psycho?
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

Why would one of the show that brings the most traffic for CR not be what Toonami needs?

The last thing I''ll ever do is take ANN reviews seriously, they're absolutely atrocious. We'll see how well it does when the ratings come out for Toonami. Toonami needs high quality content to help bring in viewers and BC is the opposite of that, there are about 5-10 other titles that would've been more appropriate for the block, easily. Stuff like Mob Psycho, My Hero Academia, Noragami, Drifters, Bungou Stray Dogs, Kekkai Sense, to name a few recent anime that come to mind. Even something like Juuni Taisen would've been a more exciting pick from this season. Whatever, I guess they're hoping the casual audience sticks to it, if I had to guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7